KR08 vs Viper

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR08 vs Viper

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 am

Did anyone else notice that this new knight Rider has more in common with the Viper TV show than the old Knight Rider?

Here's a quick list of some of the things both the new KR and the Viper show have in common...

Both cars have to distinctively different "modes" and need to change into the "attack" or "defender" mode in order to use any of the "cool" options.

Both vehicles morph

Both shows have a "secret" high tech command center.

Both shows command centers are in abandoned buildings (KR - the hanger. Viper - old power station)

Both shows have a team of people they work with and are mostly located in the command center.

Both shows work with the FBI as a "secret project" (KR isn't as secret as Viper, but the FBI still don't want anyone knowing about the connection)

Both shows have a male driver (main character) with a female co-character who get involved in the assignments.

Both shows Driver carries a gun

If one of the original ideas about the new Kitt having some kind of weapon system plays out then that too will be like the Viper.

I watched a couple of viper episodes tonight, and the layout of the show is the same as Viper, the only real difference is that KR has an AI car, Viper is just a high-tech crime fighting car.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ken3000
Volunteer

Re: KR08 vs Viper

Post by ken3000 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:59 am

yes new kr lot of similarites viper but viper also similiar kr especially first season;micheal payton became joe astor and his face changed like michal knight's story.manything similar viper yeah but they not make a ripp-off viper.example; viper's tyres and suspensions change some times and became off road car and sometimes using hologram thing for disguise but new kr transforms a truck and color change for hide identity.I understand new kr's producers they wanted to make sequel to original kr but also want some differences old kr but it's too hard.make original new kr to difficult because main reason theyre limited kr fans,reviewers and car fans.if kitt transform plane or robot anybody like? of course not.old team knight rider there's a few vehicles,cars not talking and nobody like the show.plot episode kitt transforms secenes using nano tachnology and not reallistic many fans dislike that and they put a viper like transform.I think no other scenario and car gadgets better than for new kr.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:30 am

yeah i defanitely see the similarity between the new knight rider and viper,the new knight rider is a cross betweeen a lot of shows,like transformers,team knight rider, personally i think the attack kitt from the 2 hour pilot was much better than the new attack kitt.
in glen larson we trust.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 am

KR'08 is almost like Viper!Except the car talks. :lol: (don't take this too seriously)
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:45 am

Its cool... I likem both!
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

ViperFan
Volunteer

Post by ViperFan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:01 pm

"Viper" really was an awesome show. It's honestly a crime that it's a show which has gone SO unrecognised for so long - it had huge production values (For a show that was being MADE for first-run syndication for nearly all of it's life, it's quite a rarity), great writing, great acting, brilliant vehicles etc.

I really don't like when people call it a "rip-off" of the original "Knight Rider", because it really isn't, all that they really share is the "Super-Vehicle" which just happens to be a car in both cases. If you were to really get anal about it, you could say "Knight Rider" copied the "Batman" series, or even "The Green Hornet"...with the former, there are actually quite a few big similarities between it and "Viper" which have to be more than just coincidence. Paul DeMeo and Danny Bilson are actually big comic book fans, which could explain some of it.

As a fan of the original KR series, I really wish sometimes that Michael and K.I.T.T. were a renegade bunch (This is because of the big PA fan in me, lol..) fighting crime on their terms, with nobody to answer to...and I guess "Viper" filled that craving for me as Joe and Julian, er 'stole' the Defender and went on their self-funded "lone fight for justice", even if that only lasted for the first season. Then the "Viper" itself was firmly back in the hands of Metro City. Still good viewing though!

The new "Knight Rider" has so many similarities to "Viper" it is quite unreal; the morph is the main thing. I still actually think that snakeskin morphs from the 1st season of "Viper" are as realistic as the new KI3T morphs. And I contest that considering CGI the way it was 15 years ago, "Viper" accomplished more with it than the new KR does with it now.

For those who haven't seen "Viper", I'd VERY basically summarise it by saying that it's the new "Knight Rider" series, done like the original "Knight Rider". It's a knockout combination! See http://www.projectviper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more on the series.

Ladies and Gentlemen, "Viper is taking back the streets!"

:good:
"The Ultimate in the pursuit of justice", Viper.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Viper as a car had awesome features but it did not have an AI like KITT does but other than that without an AI both would be more or less equally matched.

ViperFan
Volunteer

Post by ViperFan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:20 pm

PunkMaister wrote:Viper as a car had awesome features but it did not have an AI like KITT does but other than that without an AI both would be more or less equally matched.
It didn't have an AI, no. But...face-to-face, KI2T vs. The Viper Defender; The Defender would come out on top any day.

KI3T vs. The Defender, hmm...The Defender "could" win, and might...but I think KI3T would have the upper hand. It would be hard for either one of them to destroy the other though. Very hard.

8)

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:38 pm

The stange part is... THEY ARE BOTH NBC!
They right now are on pretty even terms, but the viper is known to get roughed up a bit during the season. So is Kitt... We know transforming in mid-air is dangerous and getting surviving 4 of those Knight Industries Anti-Tank missiles are dangerous...

I wish someone would make a crossover... Fanfic or whatever... To have these two teams meet... They share so much in common!
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Rockatteer wrote:I watched a couple of viper episodes tonight, and the layout of the show is the same as Viper, the only real difference is that KR has an AI car, Viper is just a high-tech crime fighting car.
A few episodes? Do you have them on tape? I have been looking to find copies of Viper for like ever now... I wish they would release it to DVD.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Yeah I have about 6 episodes from the first season and 1 from the second on tape (copied to DVD now)

I too wish it would come out on DVD.

3rings
Recruit

Post by 3rings » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:46 pm

I have 10 of the NBC ones with the original commercials intact, and most of the NBC promos, including the 2-hour NBC Pilot with the original commercials intact. Also Season 2 Premiere: Winner Take All and MIG 89.

I also have "About Face": The ep where the red Viper gets destroyed and The Season 4 Premiere: "The Return" where the new blue Viper is introduced.

Do you know how many posts you have to create to be promoted from a volunteer to the next rank?

Also I'm looking for any Knight Rider episodes with the original NBC commercials intact and any Knight Rider NBC promos to any episode. I have a good amount of them now, but I'm looking for more to add to my KR Video Collection.
I am looking for the NBC Promos to Halloween Knight and Kitt Vs. Karr

Plus some good quality copies of Team Knight Rider. I had all 22 eps at first, but they were of lousy quality and lousy sound.

:kitt: :good:

3rings
Recruit

Post by 3rings » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Never mind on the question of the rank, I've just been promoted to a recruit. :good: :kittconv:

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:33 am

Good to see there are still fans of Viper... I thought I was the only one left.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:17 am

Yep I'm a fan of the show. One of the things I love about this new KR is that it does have so many elements of Viper in it.

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:57 am

Quite true... When Viper first came on air... I saw qualities of Knight Rider in it at the get go... And it lasted 4 seasons in syndication... So the formula works! And Knight Rider 2008 is when the formula comes home albeit needs a little more work to get the timing and tuning right.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:59 am

viper_defender wrote:Good to see there are still fans of Viper... I thought I was the only one left.
There's always fans for somthing.You just probably haven't met them yet.I learned about that when I first discovered LionKing.org. :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

TriComEMS2401
Volunteer

Post by TriComEMS2401 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:31 am

Here's an idea, bad it maybe but I personally think it would be cool. Take Ki2t, Ki3t, Viper, and Airwolf all together in 1 show that would make for some darn good tv. In my opinion.
Feel free to comment on what you all think.

:dash4:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 am

TriComEMS2401 wrote:Here's an idea, bad it maybe but I personally think it would be cool. Take Ki2t, Ki3t, Viper, and Airwolf all together in 1 show that would make for some darn good tv. In my opinion.
Feel free to comment on what you all think.
:dash4:
While we're at it, why not throw in 'street hawk too...'

A bit like a "Justice League for super vehicles...."

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:40 am

I only have vague memories of "Viper", but I do remember enjoying it when it was on. In the back of my mind, I DID keep wishing the car talked however. :) Still I agree that "Viper" was a very powerful vehicle for its time, and as much hemming and hawing that goes on about KI3T's abilities, the "Viper" car wasn't too far off for the time. I also remember they relaunched on another network, but the show felt very different (I think a different cast altogether, yes?).
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:58 pm

TriComEMS2401 wrote:Here's an idea, bad it maybe but I personally think it would be cool. Take Ki2t, Ki3t, Viper, and Airwolf all together in 1 show that would make for some darn good tv. In my opinion.
Feel free to comment on what you all think.:
Team Knight Rider.

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:38 pm

goldbug wrote:I only have vague memories of "Viper", but I do remember enjoying it when it was on. In the back of my mind, I DID keep wishing the car talked however. :) Still I agree that "Viper" was a very powerful vehicle for its time, and as much hemming and hawing that goes on about KI3T's abilities, the "Viper" car wasn't too far off for the time. I also remember they relaunched on another network, but the show felt very different (I think a different cast altogether, yes?).
Check my Signature... The history of Viper is somewhat spoty it did a run on TV for 4 years! The fist season was with three characters the driver a cop/excon with deleted memory, the mechanic/cop, the computer/paraplegic tech guy inventor, when it moved to syndication, the kept mecanic/cop, got a secret service driver, a understudy female tech, and fiesty female street cop, third season they kept the same roles and fourth, brought back the almost the original cast of the first season but kept the fiestly lady cop.

All in all it was good TV!try you tube they still have old cuts of episodes where you can see the cast.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 pm

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/07/the ... php?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Top 10 Misfired Sci-Fi TV Shows of the ‘90s

10. Viper (1994-1999)

For the creators of Viper, it was never too late to imitate Knight Rider, Airwolf, Street Hawk and other ‘80s series that didn’t need tight scripts or magnetic leading men as much as they needed cool vehicles. Viper found its base by selling out like few shows before: in a near-future right out of Robocop, the mob could only be brought to its knees by a brainwashed former criminal and his Dodge Viper, which transformed into…an armored Dodge Viper. Outfitted with all sorts of budget-friendly weaponry, this rolling product placement chased down criminals driving their own reliable, affordable Dodge vehicles.

Lifespan: Four seasons, believe it or not. While Viper died on NBC in 1994, it was revived for three more seasons in syndication, alongside such epic series as Renegade and Vanishing Son.
Legacy: Somewhere out there, a die-hard fan has wasted a real Viper by turning it into the show’s super-powered version.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:26 am

Viper lasted until 1999, Viper's 1994 first season was a half season because NBC cancelled it but it was later picked up for a second third and fourth season. Seasons 1-3 had a Red RT/10 the fourth and final season had a special Blue GTS. I used to watch Viper alot, I know a guy who owns a very well detailed site called projectviper.com. They did make a few toys to the original season but after that nothing. The similarities aren't totally coincidence but I like this better. At the time the Dodge Viper's popularity was through the roof, however these days various cars are way more popular than the Dodge Viper. The Viper's hexagon snakeskin morph cost about $50,000 per incident back in 1994.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Bottom line who cares, Viper is dead Knight Rider isn't.