My 5 wishes to improve Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:50 pm

After watching the episode and reading a lot of reviews and discussions there are many many opinions, some agree, some disagree. It's hard to get to a common sense here, but I really want to know what the majority of fans thinks.
So I want to try this:
Everyone gets 5 votes. You can name your wishes how you would improve the new series, what you want to change, what you like or dislike. It doesn't matter if you make a new wish or if you give your vote to a wish that was posted before, just add your vote and write the new number behind it. You can use one, more than one or even all of your votes on one wish.
Eventually we get a list with wishes that are most common and maybe someone will take them serious and improve the show, who knows. And try to keep your wishes as specific as possible.

So let me start now:

- no more truck mode 1
- no more attack mode 2
- no ads and logos on KITT 1
- give KITT a more futuristic dash board 1

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Re: My 5 wishes to improve Knight Rider

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:32 pm

modified steering wheel, ski mode, and all the stuff as seen above, also, ejection seats, retractable roof.......everything else so far ain't bad. I think the Turbo CGI will improve as the show goes on. :good: :dash: :dash4:

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 pm

1. No more truck mode (If you do why not just enlarge the tires the real truck makes kitt look like an autobot)
2. Use Drag car mode only during sequence where you need "super pursuit mode"
3. Keep the blue neon but Loose the neon KR under the car
4. Loose the fisbowl make it more subtle but a dedicated monitor
5. Bring back the nano paint job.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

Phantom
Volunteer

Post by Phantom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 pm

1. Get rid of Optimus Kitt
2. Get rid of KR on the belly
3. Give Batman his cave back
4. Reference the Original More
5. Return the Nano-bonded shell seen in the Pilot

:)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:33 pm

- push buttons for all Kitts functions
- lose the truck transformation.
- no product placement on the car
- lose the KR neon sign on the bottom of Kitt
- concentrate the stories on Micheal and Kitt, like the old show was.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm

viper_defender wrote:1. No more truck mode (If you do why not just enlarge the tires the real truck makes kitt look like an autobot)
1. I can deal with the truck as long as it is used appropriately. Maybe KITT needs to haul something. Can't load up a fridge in the back seat of the Mustang... (don't know why he would want to haul a fridge, but it is just an example)

People are also seeming to miss the point that the only two times the truck was shown in the first episode was when people needed to get in KITT and exit quickly (by using the bed of the truck). In this case, I can understand its usefulness.

2. I can understand that. However, Michael would use SPM a lot... sometimes more than he needed to. Of course, they were doing it this time just to show it off.

3. Agreed. Also, the cobra is okay on the back in normal mode, but a Knight piece in Attack Mode would have been FAR more appropriate.

4. Its not too bad. Just clear it up and make it look like its not doing 100 things at once. Too busy!

5. We don't know that it is gone. They never had a need to use it. At the beginning when the guards were firing at KITT, his windshield was being repaired in the exact same manner as the movie, which means that they still have the nanotech in that form, as well as the pre-programmed transformations into attack mode and truck mode.

And I'll add five of mine...

1. Clean up the clutter on the HUD and put the gauges in their proper places. It doesn't have to be LCD screens... if they are worried about operating the Knight 3000 without KITT being on, then LED gauges can do the trick! Remove the power outlet, or at least, the writing off the cover.

2. Sync up the scanner sound. It was hard getting used to it doing a swoosh once per each direction, but at the end it didn't seem that synced up that way either...

3. Semi unit for local/regional support. The plane is too much for something in California or surrounding states, but where KITT can't make it back to the SSC in a decent amount of time. However, for Washington DC or abroad, I can understand why a plane would be better.

4. Backstory. However, I know that one is coming. A possible cameo later from Patricia McPherson. They could dedicate the episode the something environmental to help out her cause with the Wetlands.

5. Engine start sequence, shifting gears, and other automation stuff reminiscent of the Knight 2000.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

I agree with some of the things being said in this thread. There seems to be too much going into the show as it is. Too many people and too many story lines within the show. But, for a shorter version of what I would like to be improved on is this:

1. Get rid of the truck mode and all of the transformer jazz. Be simple not ridiculous.
2. Redesign the attack mode.
3. Bring back the original theme to the show.
4. Reference the original show more.
5. Storyline should only be, for the most part, in between Mike and KITT. As I said before, in the paragraph above, there is just too many people and too many storylines in it.

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 pm

- The truck mode has to go, even though it does look decent.
- Get rid of the KR logo on the Attack Mode's undercarriage
- Replace the KR Cobra Logo with a Knight
- Reference the original more. I know that 8 episodes are done, but if it can be helped, for later eps, I would suggest bringing back an original cast member for a sweeps ep, as well as a well-deserved explanation as to where everyone is with respect to Michael, Devon, Bonnie, RC3, and of course, the Knight 2000's AI (heck, even April too), and why FLAG was phased out sometime after the classic series ended.

and...

- This may sound radical, but seeing that we're getting sort of thrashed on Wednesday, if things don't improve ratings-wise (besides the demographic wins), and if NBC cancels another show, I hope NBC does one of the following:

1) move the show to Friday night at 8 (possibly eliminating the Friday edition of Deal or No Deal, or as a possible filler for America's Toughest Jobs when it ends)
2) delaying the show until mid-season
3) consider moving the show to USA or Sci-Fi Channel, both of which NBC Universal owns. It worked for Law and Order: Criminal Intent, and in this day and age, with cable being much more accessible and streamline, moving the show to either network would be relatively easy.

These people deserve a decent shot to show their product and show us KR fans what we've been waiting for for so long. Besides, I hate to be beaten by a show where one of their lead actors portrays an FBI agent and formerly portrayed a vampire.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I totally agree get rid of the truck...or AT LEAST modify it. It's not plausible for KITT to transform, using nanotechnology, into something 3 times the original mass. The truck would have to be the same height off the ground as the Mustang, same motor/generator (kitt is a hybrid) size, same tire size, etc. At least with Attack Mode, the resultant vehicle is roughly the same mass as the original.

--Brian

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 pm

From after just one episode? Not much in mind...

1. Restrict the transformations of any kind to the absolute minimum or get rid of them altogether. They don't bother me *that* much, but overall, they're probably not the best thing; they seem to neither impress new-comers, nor satisfy long-time fans.
2. Keep.Sarah.Off.The.Field. The last thing I want from a fun and cheesy version of James Bond is ending each episode with a discussion about where their relationship is going. I'm not opposed to the prospect of romances, but play out all the aspects, before you get there.
3. The Attack Mode could handle being a little less flashy. Tone down the neon lights and, if Ford allows it, get rid of the cobra altogether (yes, I know the Attack Mode cobra is for Knight Research, but the choice of a snake emblem that's conceptually similar to that of the car's brand logo, for a foundation that only includes the word "Knight" is suspicious). On another note, I wouldn't mind a distinct sound for the car's engine either. That jet feel that the original KITT gave was just great.
4. Pilot and car need to develop a buddying relationship. Though I would assume that's planned in the long term.

Can't come up with a fifth.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:21 am

1.Get rid of those stupid accessory buttons underneath KITT's modulator globe.....ridiculous..
2.NO TRUCK MODE! Unless we see van mode, Beatle mode, and junker mode next, first.
3.Kill Zoe off, or make her less of a 14 year old girl gone wild.
4.Real time driving is shown more than green screen driving.
5.If you're going to use Attack mode, make KITT stay in Attack mode longer than 40 seconds before transforming again.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:10 am

There are some serious changes to be made,KR at this point is very frail and will collapse soon,it will suffer the same fate as did bionic women. :(

ken3000
Volunteer

Post by ken3000 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:14 am

1-all blue neons gone
2-put some real function to attack mode.attack mode gives to kitt nothing.
3-kill billy and zoe
4-remove "green repair laser" thing.
5-no more truck mode of course.

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 am

1. Remove the neons from the attack Kitt. KITT needs to stay as a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' and not draw attention to the enemy. The turbo boost with the lit up KR? is that not just advertising to the bad guys. Here I am come and and get me?
2. I like the Hud but would also love to see the Centre 'itunes console;' from the pilot back again to co exist with the HUD instead of the snow glode modulator or another variation off it using a 2 DIN Display so its actually really placed in the vehicle instead of relying on CGI. This would resolve the complaints about the use of standard buttons One thing I would change about the centre console from the pilot? Make the vox a digital rendition of KI2Ts
3. I hope the show does not overally rely on looking to the KITT cave team for solutions to presented scenarios because for me it kind of distracts from the action. Ok the original show relied on Bonnie for upgrades but rarely did we see the action interupted to find a solution to a problem
4. The Attack car- ok I must admit I do like certain elements of the attack car. Lose the Dragster wheels at the back. IMO KITT should not be a drag vehicle unless it is for a one off episode e.g for a one off Kitt like the 'Custom KITT episode. Ermm lose the Neons and the Knight Research decal change at the back
5. Have some story arcs or episodes where there is a simple story. I totally understand that the first episode had a challenge in introducing a wide range of characters, themes and technology. I like the action so far but for me it needs to be focussed on the car and its driver. There were far to many scene changes that I almost developed a migraine. I hope we do see some simple stories that feature a range of stunts in the interim. For me that is what made the original so special

I really so want the new show to succeed. It is still early days and we have a few more shows to go to give a true taster of what the new show is all about. Heres wishing the production team all the best

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:11 am

now that I've watched the pilot and episode 1

1 I prefer the pilot voice box, monitor rather than the bubble voice box and all the graphics on the screens
2 instead of blue neon under kitt make it red like his scanner and loose the KR log under neath when he turbo boosts
3 Try and use some real cars for turbo boots, will make it more fun to watch I think to..

3 Bring back the watch some how for Michael and kitt.
4 black rims would be awsome on kitt
5 do something with kitts wheel, the old one had the gull wing ,that was cool.

but its going great so far keep working with the fans and it will rock!
--knightman--

nia
Stranger

Post by nia » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 am

Newbie here:)

1. Kill 80% people in the Cave and intensive acting classes for the rest.
2. more fresh&light-hearted stories; less cliches.
3. No transformation(although, it looks cool at times.)
4. fewer CGI but with better quality.
5. No more heavy mysteries about Mike/Michael.

Jedi Knight
Stranger

Post by Jedi Knight » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:07 pm

1. Tone down Attack Mode-Less Top Fuel Dragster and more stock car
2. No more panel shifting transfers, go back to sutle morphing like in the pilot movie
3. No more truck mode
4. Keep CGI to a minimum, it cheapens the show
5. Pay more homage to original show, maybe have Kight Industries Two Thousand parked in the background somewhere in the KITT Cave; you wouldn't even have to aknowledge it was there, just background filler like the pilot. Mention the the Foundation for Law And Government (FLAG). I know the name was corny, but give credit where credit is due.

:kitt:

Here's the funny thing: I didn't even look at everyone elses posts, but now I have and I think we are mostly in agreement. Coincidense? I think not.
"A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist." -Knight Rider

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:50 pm

I'd still prefer to see Ski-Mode and Ejection-Seats/retractable roof......I doubt that I will see those things, but, I can guarantee, GUARANTEE, you will not see Attack Mode go away, not even watered down.............They put too much work and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into creating it in the first place, They would waste all that to get rid of it. I think it's more important to see car stunts that to get rid off Attack Mode (it needs a button, as does Turbo Boost). I DO agree there is way too many people involved in Knight Industries............. :roll: :roll:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 pm

nia wrote: 2. more fresh&light-hearted stories; less cliches.
5. No more heavy mysteries about Mike/Michael.
I can definitely agree with you on #2 and #5.I never really saw KR as a dark TV show,although it would be great to have a serious episode every once in a while.The mysteries could be great too,but not as long as they don't use it too much.

Wow,I just passed my 400th. post! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 pm

1) NO MORPHING
2) Get rid of this retarded looking Attack Mode
3) No KR logo underneath KITT
4) Get rid of the cobra logos and other Ford ad placement (everyone knows it's a Mustang- Duh)

Some minor things – I still think the beginning of the theme song sounds better than the 2nd half with the guitars. Right now I don't care for the KITT Cave, but it might work. We’ll see.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Ok here's my stuff to improve KR:

1. Please get rid of that ugly KR logo under KITT!

2. There are too many fricken people working for Knight Industries!, We only need Charles, Sarah, Mike, and maybe Billy as the techy guy to help and I guess Alex Torres because I like how well played he is, and Zoey is just a dumb blond in disguise, get her the hell outta there before I do! WTF do we need Carrie Rivai as a stupid FBI agent? The foundation always worked above and around the government in the original, yes I understand the need for a team but still it makes no sense.

3. Sync the damn scanner like the original to make sense of the "scanning sound" effect. Also put the scanner when he actually needs it, not when you have him sitting there and focusing on Mike in the shot, no need for the sound while Turbo Boosting as well.

4. I know that the writers are going to put mythology later on from what I heard to sink people in the show, but please try and reference the original more and hopefully explain fully what happened with FLAG and the others since that's where Knight Industries is from.

5. We need KITT and Mike alone more, no need for Sarah in the field unless a co-op mission like the first episode. Also I like the preview for Wed's episode! Looks like a classic episode preview from the original in my eyes, stolen stuff, racing to be undercover, etc.

6. I heard that this may be a problem. but I don't seem why it will hurt if you through a little darkness here and there with the show like portraying Mike's war days and memories/flashbacks etc.

7. Maybe a few more classic modes? Ski Mode, Ejector Seat, SmokeScreen, Oil Slick, etc.

8. I really love the transformation into Attack Mode but please, get rid of the godamn Redneck Mode! I can't see KITT turning into a truck, instead just beef up his tires and make him more 4x4, he's a car! BTW I brought this up in another post, wtf do his 12 tires for all 3 transformations come from? LOL

9. I hope the writers see this and graphic editors, believe me I love the CGI but I think there might have been a little too much making it cheesy, the CGI could be used to fix up that ugly ugly ugly dash! This car is the Knight Industries product, millions put into it I assume as the original was, make it look like its worth something and not stock FORD POS buttons!, the HUD is beautiful keep it up with that!

GET ZOE & CARRIE RIVAI THE HELL OUTTA THERE, "Bypass FBI Security Protocol"??? Get the hell outta here, Charles Graiman "Resurrected the Foundation" as he said in the pilot, keep it that way!

BTW guys Attack Mode is pretty cool IMO, I like the transformation into it, I say leave it!

Joe

Conker Wodds
Volunteer

Post by Conker Wodds » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:13 am

I have just watched the premier of the new season, and while I am still excited with the potential, I think the first episode was a bit of a mess. Here are my top 5 fixes:

1. No more green screen driving - The chase scene when Kitt was chasing the DNA man was terrible, the car was cornering, yet Michael's hands were in the straight on position on the steering wheel.

2. Get rid of the stupid FBI agents!!

3. Get rid of the plane - Use a mobile operations center - aka The Semi

4. Truck Mode - A big No No, just doesn't feel plausable.

5. That stupid KR from the bottom of KITT when he Turbo Boosts - It has to go, feels like an episode of Power Rangers.

Other than these few points I think it will be good in the long run, as long as they do not over do the CGI.

Here's hoping NBC review these Forums and take note.

patrixander
Stranger

Post by patrixander » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:07 am

1. Use real car to perform turbo boost. I will be excited to see it live in action
2. KITT's EVIL Twin (KARR or whatever) shows up.
3. Add voice for its transport/cargo plane ( Example: SkyONE in TKR)
4. less using of truck mode.
5. transform to Convertible mode

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:26 am

KnightCrusader99 wrote:
viper_defender wrote:1. No more truck mode (If you do why not just enlarge the tires the real truck makes kitt look like an autobot)
1. I can deal with the truck as long as it is used appropriately. Maybe KITT needs to haul something. Can't load up a fridge in the back seat of the Mustang... (don't know why he would want to haul a fridge, but it is just an example)

People are also seeming to miss the point that the only two times the truck was shown in the first episode was when people needed to get in KITT and exit quickly (by using the bed of the truck). In this case, I can understand its usefulness.

2. I can understand that. However, Michael would use SPM a lot... sometimes more than he needed to. Of course, they were doing it this time just to show it off.

3. Agreed. Also, the cobra is okay on the back in normal mode, but a Knight piece in Attack Mode would have been FAR more appropriate.

4. Its not too bad. Just clear it up and make it look like its not doing 100 things at once. Too busy!

5. We don't know that it is gone. They never had a need to use it. At the beginning when the guards were firing at KITT, his windshield was being repaired in the exact same manner as the movie, which means that they still have the nanotech in that form, as well as the pre-programmed transformations into attack mode and truck mode.

And I'll add five of mine...

1. Clean up the clutter on the HUD and put the gauges in their proper places. It doesn't have to be LCD screens... if they are worried about operating the Knight 3000 without KITT being on, then LED gauges can do the trick! Remove the power outlet, or at least, the writing off the cover.

2. Sync up the scanner sound. It was hard getting used to it doing a swoosh once per each direction, but at the end it didn't seem that synced up that way either...

3. Semi unit for local/regional support. The plane is too much for something in California or surrounding states, but where KITT can't make it back to the SSC in a decent amount of time. However, for Washington DC or abroad, I can understand why a plane would be better.

4. Backstory. However, I know that one is coming. A possible cameo later from Patricia McPherson. They could dedicate the episode the something environmental to help out her cause with the Wetlands.

5. Engine start sequence, shifting gears, and other automation stuff reminiscent of the Knight 2000.
Wow almost verbatim what I was thinking. Thank you for posting this and not sounding too preachy

SerenityNow
Stranger

Post by SerenityNow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 pm

1. Lose the truck. Nothing the truck accomplished was needed. Could have easily been a convertible (which would
have been a nice homage) to jump in, and a convertible plus booster seat to jump out. But, what's most jarring to me is to have the Mustang interior while KITT is in truck mode. What happens if you open the rear truck doors, where do you go, this isn' t the TARDIS... Just lose it altogether.

2. If KITT can go 377mph w/o Attack Mode, it serves NO purpose. So, either limit his straight line speed in regular mode, or lose attack mode altogether.

3. I like the HUD, can live with the Globe, lose the Shaker 500 stereo, at least use the GPS version of the Mustang dashboard. Or put the iPod interface back in there with touch screen buttons.

4. KITT should be loyal to Michael. KITT should not threaten to take control of the "vehicle" and return itself. Start working on that, you've laid the groundwork that KITT is trying to unlock Michael's past. There's some reason that they picked Michael to drive the car.

5. KITT needs to have some offensive, or defensive weapons. He could have stunned the guys in the parking lot
and EMP'ed that chick's get away car. Also, never, ever have KITT not be able to catch the bad guy again. LAME!