KITT pic

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTgoVrOoM
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT pic

Post by KITTgoVrOoM » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:15 pm

Hey. I drew a pic of KITT, though, i am still practicing on how to draw cars. I would appreciate it if you could give me suggestions on how to improve it.

I thought of no one better to ask but the Knight Rider fans themselves!

http://www.geocities.com/bttfyoshida/KITT.html

Thanks so much for your help.

KITTgoVrOoM
Recruit

Post by KITTgoVrOoM » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:22 pm

btw, some of it was from memory, the rest *like position* was from resourse......

I kinda remembered the position, but i had to look at the pic a little to get it right....

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:08 am

That's a nice drawing ya got there, i remember i tried drawing Kitt once and it ended being looking like some deformed elephant or something. From your placement of the scanner, it looks like the KOTP Kitt that we see early on, with the scanner located lower on the front nose. Looks like youre makin good progess with it though, should be interesting to see the final product.

KITT's admirer
Volunteer

Post by KITT's admirer » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:28 pm

ok speaking as a fellow art student i can say that it looks like your doing a pretty good job and i congradulate u for doing it from memory cause thats not an easy task. i like the angle u chose to to draw it from and your porportions look nice. i think the front of the car is to pointed. also, it seems like the car is getting to narrow toward the back.the windshild and roof should be the same width as the front of the car. and the last thing i can see is that the top of the hood is to far to the right. it should come down the center. take a look at this picture to help u out as a referance

http://www.knightregistries.com/garage/kitt.jpg[/img]

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:31 pm

LOL That's a real good pic of him laughing! I like it. You need to add some shading....show all those lines and to give him more of a 3 dimensional look. Right now it's mostly just a bunch of lines, some shading and details will give it more texture. Good job though :)

Cheri

KITTgoVrOoM
Recruit

Post by KITTgoVrOoM » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:21 pm

Okies! Thanks all!

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:32 pm

Your perspective looks too forced. It makes Kitt look like he's being squeezed in a black hole. It helps if you make a perspective box to fit the car in before you actually start construcing the car.

Another thing is all your erase marks. No amount of shading can fix that. If you want to make it look better, sketch it, then go over it with a piece of tracing paper and transfer it to a clean piece of paper, canvas or bristol board, whatever you chose to use. The lines, once transferred, will be alot cleaner, and it'll help you avoid using levels tools in your paint program trying to fix it.

Your hood scoop doesn't taper enough before it fades into the car body, it should get much thinner at the end. Also, try to center the apex of the prow. Kitt looks like he got his nose bumped and knocked off center. Maybe find the center of your perspective box and draw a line through it, that would help.

Good job and good luck.

Rusti
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:26 am

Going back a few messages, there was a mention of the scanner position. What was the go with that? Did the special effects guys design one front end, do some driving shots, and then redesign the nose cause the old one sucked? Don't get me wrong, I love the new one. But why did they change it? Anyone know the real story? Oh, and Yoshi, trace a few pictures of KITT first and get the details down in your head. There's a few.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:36 am

rusti_knight wrote:Your perspective looks too forced. It makes Kitt look like he's being squeezed in a black hole. It helps if you make a perspective box to fit the car in before you actually start construcing the car.

Rusti
I'm not too sure about that. Perspective really depends on how close you stand to an object. If you standing very near an object, you will get that particular angle and look in the drawing. The further away you are, the flatter the object becomes.

Anyway, I think the drawing has potential. Oh, I have a few drawings myself, but due to my dissertation, it'll have to wait.

KITTgoVrOoM, if you want any ideas of pencil drawing, my site contains a few of KITT.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:22 pm

Never, never, never trace unless you're transfering a drawing of your own. It teaches you nothing but how to trace. Just draw a lot of Kitt at all different angles, that's the best way to learn. The same goes for noses, lips, hands, feet...whatever you're having trouble with.

If you think the perspective's fine, you must be sitting right up at the car. Widen the cab a bit to better create that effect and show less of the roof.

Rusti

--From RP

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:58 pm

[quote="rusti_knight"]Never, never, never trace unless you're transfering a drawing of your own. It teaches you nothing but how to trace.

That, as they say, is a load of crap. To get familiar with the lines, to know just how far away the door handle is from the rear of the door, to work-in the end of the bonnet bulge lines, to ensure the wheels are actually round, do a bit of tracing. What the hell! It's not like somone's gonna sue ya. Once you're familiiar with the basic outlines, go freehand. I'm not saying it's for everybody. Yoshi could learn a thing or two about perspective, and real life is full of it. Copy, by all means, but if tracing (for a little while) helps, go for it! Not all of us can freehand an 82 Trans Am.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:23 pm

You know, it really does the artist asking for advice no good to argue, but do you know how many of my art teachers would beat me over the head with a ruler if I traced *anything*? Even to "learn the lines"?

The only way to "learn lines" of anything is to draw it. Over and over and over again. With or without reference. Reference is good, because it keeps you accurate.

Tracing teaches nothing. It's like staring at a book and typing the lines. You're never actually reading the book, you're just copying words and you couldn't remember what it was you just typed if you were asked. If you traced it, you'd only have one shape ingrained in your memory, and that's not how you learn.

I may be something of a casual hack at art, but I'm a learned casual hack having had art classes on the side all through college, as well as at least an hour of it everyday of every year in High School. Please don't presume to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I've taken the time to learn it. As I understood it, that's what KittGoVroom wanted was to learn.

As it is, KGV, I can help you find sites that will also critique your art, if you're interested.

Rusti

--From RP

KITTgoVrOoM
Recruit

Post by KITTgoVrOoM » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:52 pm

Yeah Rusty. That'll be cool, Thanks. :P

And BTW, We all have our own techniques in learning how to draw something.(or do anything in particular) Some of us learn better tracing, getting to know where the lines are, and some of us do better just looking at a reference and try drawing it, or by memory. There is really no wrong way. We are all different, and so are the ways we learn how to do things. Some things are easier than others.

Anyway, I really do thank you for your suggestions on how to improve my pic.