The Best KITT Car

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Cobra
Volunteer

The Best KITT Car

Post by Cobra » Sat May 10, 2008 11:22 pm

Hello all,

I have been keeping an eye out for concepts of cars that can successfully be the NEW KITT for the motion picture.

None of the vehicles I have posted here or have seen the past few weeks have hit me with that belief.......until today.

I fully believe that if this concept can be used with modifications, it will be a very successful car for this movie.
Before I put the picture up I just want to go over some points.

Although I prefer KITT being an American car, there simply isn't an American car out there "fit" enough to be the next KITT. The camaro would have worked with mods but that car is already taken by Dreamworks. As the new TV series showed, the majority will NOT accept an American car as the NEW KITT if it lacks the sleek design, the futuristic look of the old KITT. Sacrificing everything for the sake of the car being American just isn't worth it. Lets face it, this movie isn't a charity and about getting more jobs for Americans working at an American car company, but a project with a very loyal fanbase and one that will not accept any second class cars as the NEW KITT on the basis of the car being American. This is a project that should not be hindered by preconceived and ultimately hurtful restrictions such as "car only being American." I firmly believe that if the motion picture were to go that route, that it would destroy the success of the entire project or a large chunk of it.

Looking into concepts including those of foreign car companies, I realized that the next KITT should ideally be from a company that has a world-class reputation for making some of the best cars. A company that has a loyal base of fans similar to Knight Rider.

Another belief that was reaffirmed from the new TV series is that the new vehicle MUST hit viewers with that "WOW, now that car definitely looks futuristic" yet have a healthy balance so people don't think the car looks TOO "futuristic" AND unrealistic to be loved by the fans or the public. The new Knight Rider TV series had the Mustang which I firmly believe lacked all the "WOW" and didn't really generate any "now that looks futuristic" thoughts. This is key and I think a lot of time must be spent on both KITT's functions/dash as well as the mods that will be done on the chosen car itself to make it KITT. It may have been some luck and a lot of vision that made the old KITT hit this target on the dot. The movie and anything seriously considering regenerating the success of the old Knight Rider should NOT be exception to that rule.

The vehicle that I will post pictures of below has a healthy balance of the "wow" effect without looking too cheesy and overdone. Comparing it to the old KITT, you can see the car carries the tradition of the old Trans-Am body very well yet is modern enough for people in 2008-2010 to accept it as a futuristic car that is NOT overdone and unrealistic but something that could be very real in the near future.

I would write more about why I think this car deserves to be the NEW KITT considering the lack of creativity in many car companies, but I am lacking time and have to be somewhere in a few minutes.

Without further wait, here are the pics.
(note the car will obviously be modified for the movie so picture this vehicle in shiny black, better rims, and other mods that were the trademark of the old KITT - ie. well positioned red scanner, slightly modified nose, etc.)
BMW M1 concept:

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/04/bmw_u ... fined#more

Stylez
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The Best KITT Car

Post by Stylez » Sun May 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Where is the back seat? Might as well use a Gallardo, it's nicer. The motion picture requires a car with a back seat, correct me if I'm wrong VK.

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 pm

The motion picture does require a car with a back seat, but if I remember correctly, VK mentioned that as long as there is enough room in the back of the vehicle to fit a child, then it should be good enough.

When I said "modifications" I didn't just mean the outer body, rims, and dash. I also meant modifying the inside so that there can be some back seats put in with enough room to fit a child or a teenager.

Remember, this is Knight Rider, not reality. This car isn't suppose to be a BMW, but the Knight Industries car of the future.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Well if we are ok with modifying the car to have a back seat, why not use a Corvette. It already looks very KITT like. And it is Made in the USA. :) I too prefer Made in the USA.

The Camaro is going to be made in canada, btw, so no American jobs are preserved from that, unless you count the CEO of GM...

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun May 11, 2008 11:43 pm

seeker78 wrote:The Camaro is going to be made in canada, btw, so no American jobs are preserved from that, unless you count the CEO of GM...
:whistle: Same tune, different thread. Is this all the mindless dribble you can spew forth? You hijack every thread with the same old song and dance. "By the way"? You're kidding right? You've beaten this horse into oblivion in every thread you participate in and you say "by the way"? Somebody take this guys keyboard away please.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Stylez wrote:
seeker78 wrote:The Camaro is going to be made in canada, btw, so no American jobs are preserved from that, unless you count the CEO of GM...
:whistle: Same tune, different thread. Is this all the mindless dribble you can spew forth? You hijack every thread with the same old song and dance. "By the way"? You're kidding right? You've beaten this horse into oblivion in every thread you participate in and you say "by the way"? Somebody take this guys keyboard away please.
I agree! Not to turn this into a bash-match but why don't you talk to the UAW with their unreasonable demands as to why the Camaro is being made outside the USA.
On topic though, I'm not much a fan of the styling of this car.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm

just too Bond-ish....nice tho.....my vote .. a true prototype

Pontiac Rageous
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 am

Cobra wrote: As the new TV series showed, the majority will NOT accept an American car as the NEW KITT if it lacks the sleek design, the futuristic look of the old KITT. Sacrificing everything for the sake of the car being American just isn't worth it.This is a project that should not be hindered by preconceived and ultimately hurtful restrictions such as "car only being American." I firmly believe that if the motion picture were to go that route, that it would destroy the success of the entire project or a large chunk of it.

Looking into concepts including those of foreign car companies, I realized that the next KITT should ideally be from a company that has a world-class reputation for making some of the best cars. A company that has a loyal base of fans similar to Knight Rider.

Another belief that was reaffirmed from the new TV series is that the new vehicle MUST hit viewers with that "WOW, now that car definitely looks futuristic" yet have a healthy balance so people don't think the car looks TOO "futuristic" AND unrealistic to be loved by the fans or the public. The new Knight Rider TV series had the Mustang which I firmly believe lacked all the "WOW" and didn't really generate any "now that looks futuristic" thoughts. This is key and I think a lot of time must be spent on both KITT's functions/dash as well as the mods that will be done on the chosen car itself to make it KITT. It may have been some luck and a lot of vision that made the old KITT hit this target on the dot. The movie and anything seriously considering regenerating the success of the old Knight Rider should NOT be exception to that rule.

The vehicle that I will post pictures of below has a healthy balance of the "wow" effect without looking too cheesy and overdone. Comparing it to the old KITT, you can see the car carries the tradition of the old Trans-Am body very well yet is modern enough for people in 2008-2010 to accept it as a futuristic car that is NOT overdone and unrealistic but something that could be very real in the near future.

I would write more about why I think this car deserves to be the NEW KITT considering the lack of creativity in many car companies, but I am lacking time and have to be somewhere in a few minutes.

(note the car will obviously be modified for the movie so picture this vehicle in shiny black, better rims, and other mods that were the trademark of the old KITT - ie. well positioned red scanner, slightly modified nose, etc.)
When you said that Cobra,the name HONDA comes to mind.And if a car made in America makes you happy,many of Honda's cars are made in Ohio!My dad owned a 4th. GEN and now owns an 8TH. GEN Civic.When I first saw the 8th. GEN Civic,I thought it looked better than almost every other car out there!

And speaking of American made cars,I agree with you,Cobra.I used to love American cars just as much as Japanese cars,but after a while,they lost that WOW factor they used to have,and to make things worse,GM stopped producing the TransAm(my #1 favorite american model),which made me lose even more respect for American car companies.To add to more things,there is the fact about where the car models are made.My friend's FORD F150 is made in CANADA.My dad's CHEVEROLET AVEO is made in SOUTH KOREA.My aunts TOYOTA COROLLA is made in a manufacturing plant only less than 12 miles from my house,and my dad's 8th. GEN Civic was made in OHIO,and only the engine and transmission are made in Japan.FORD gets it's transmissions from the MAZDA MOTOR COMPANY,for example.NBC chose an American car,and guess what we got?A MUSTANG.It looks GOOD but not GREAT.

A *Civic* would make a better KITT.It looks great,and it can blend in.Just remove the emblems and add a scanner,and it will still look great!PLUS when you buy a Civic,you are giving AMERICAN WORKERS their money.It's sleek,and it looks ahead of it's time.Plus the CIVIC is recognized all over the world. It's not just an "econobox",as we all underestimate it as,but it's used in racing scenes all over the world!

I'm sorry if I sound like someone rude,but it's the truth.Every other car in the world has been in the spotlight-except for the Civic,and it would be great if they used an 8th GEN civic.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:28 pm

A Civic for KITT?

To coin a phrase, "You are out of your broadband mind woman."

Maybe for a diguise mode at best.

=VK=
:dash:

Fenix The Best
Recruit

Post by Fenix The Best » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 pm

It's just not right. :P

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm

victor kros wrote:A Civic for KITT?

To coin a phrase, "You are out of your broadband mind woman."

Maybe for a diguise mode at best.

=VK=
Well...seems better than a mustang in my opinion...and hmmm...yeah,disguise mode seems to be it's place.You were right about that.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
Petition #9

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Sky,

I meant no harm with my last comment, I was just teasing you. Hope you understand that. I take into account everyone's suggestions even if I don't agree with them.

=VK=

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:46 pm

A civic for KITT I couldn't see it however a 2008 Corvette Z06 or the new ZR1 would be the best, the hood on the Z06 is perfect... :kitt2:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:57 am

At least the Civic is Made in the USA...American jobs are preserved by using a Civic. (the mustang is too.) And the Civic is not boxy like the current Mustang. To me a Civic, or a Pontiac G8/G6, or a Ford Focus 2008 Coupe Version, any of those are far more beautiful than the boxy Mustang GT500KR. And of course they'll all made here. But apparently if you're a gearhead, the car has to have a V8 and be RWD or the external appearance means nothing, which to me is nonsense. FWD cars are used in racing ALL THE TIME. All you have to do is google "racing fwd" to disprove the people who say a sports car cannot be fwd.

how to correct for understeer using the brake in a race

FWD Racing Schedule (non-drag racing)

Front Wheel Drive Sports Cars on Wikipedia

That's obviously not a full list since most of the cars listed are foreign built. But you see the point. Racing and sports is clearly NOT the exclusive province of RWD.

Pontiac Sunfire used by the GM Racing Team for drag racing, it is a FWD vehicle. and very knight rider looking in my opinion! I guess not to gearheads??? (but the GM official racing team I assume is made up of gearheads?)

Ford Focus being used in a race (to disprove "FWD is not for sports/racing" I guess Ford doesn't agree either):

The Corvette is a great choice for KITT the only problem is that it does not have a back seat. To me the Corvette looks ****VERY**** Knight Rider. I think the Corvette is the closest thing we have to an 82 Trans Am that is still made. Although perhaps it could be modified to have a back seat. There is the issue of it having a lot of fiberglass/carbon fiber. I was talking to a Corvette owner recently btw he said he can get 32 mpg if going at 60 mph and not accelerating, and that his car is mostly fiberglass rather than carbon fiber. It was like a 2005 model or something though, not a ZR1.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:20 am

seeker78 wrote:At least the Civic is Made in the USA...American jobs are preserved by using a Civic. (the mustang is too.) And the Civic is not boxy like the current Mustang. To me a Civic, or a Pontiac G8/G6, or a Ford Focus 2008 Coupe Version, any of those are far more beautiful than the boxy Mustang GT500KR. And of course they'll all made here. But apparently if you're a gearhead, the car has to have a V8 and be RWD or the external appearance means nothing, which to me is nonsense. FWD cars are used in racing ALL THE TIME. All you have to do is google "racing fwd" to disprove the people who say a sports car cannot be fwd.

how to correct for understeer using the brake in a race

FWD Racing Schedule (non-drag racing)

Front Wheel Drive Sports Cars on Wikipedia

That's obviously not a full list since most of the cars listed are foreign built. But you see the point. Racing and sports is clearly NOT the exclusive province of RWD.

Pontiac Sunfire used by the GM Racing Team for drag racing, it is a FWD vehicle. and very knight rider looking in my opinion! I guess not to gearheads??? (but the GM official racing team I assume is made up of gearheads?)

Ford Focus being used in a race (to disprove "FWD is not for sports/racing" I guess Ford doesn't agree either):

The Corvette is a great choice for KITT the only problem is that it does not have a back seat. To me the Corvette looks ****VERY**** Knight Rider. I think the Corvette is the closest thing we have to an 82 Trans Am that is still made. Although perhaps it could be modified to have a back seat. There is the issue of it having a lot of fiberglass/carbon fiber. I was talking to a Corvette owner recently btw he said he can get 32 mpg if going at 60 mph and not accelerating, and that his car is mostly fiberglass rather than carbon fiber. It was like a 2005 model or something though, not a ZR1.
I know some people who converted their FWD car to a RWD.Who says you can't do that? :mrgreen:
Petition #9

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:45 am

Since everthing is about product placement nowday I expect Glenn to probally go the same route. I highly doubt that the new movie (if it is ever actually made) would be using a car that is A: a non mass production vehicle. B: Customized so it would not look like the production vehicle.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 pm

These are my picks for a possible KITT Car!
Austin Martin DB9
2005-aston-martin-db9.jpeg
2005-aston-martin-db9.jpeg (176.66 KiB) Viewed 94449 times
Jaguar XKR-S
jaguar-xkr-s-01.jpg
jaguar-xkr-s-01.jpg (182.98 KiB) Viewed 95094 times
Mercedes CL
mercedes-cl-wald-international-5.jpg
mercedes-cl-wald-international-5.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 95041 times
..and if you must go American. There is the Cadillac XLR

I believe with little modifications, any of these would make fantastic KITT's!

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:51 pm

For me,

The Cadillac XLR holds a great deal of promise. Back when Scott Kirkessner originally wrote his modern day take on Knight of the Phoenix, called Reborn, he used an XLR for KITT, and whilst at first, I found the choice to be extremely odd, as the story went on, he managed to write the vehicle in such a way that by the conclusion, I couldn't imagine his version of KITT being anything else.

Of course, when he wrote his director's cut of the story, he changed the XLR to a Camaro, but since the original version still exists, I would encourage those who haven't read it, to give it a look, as with a motion picture budget, not only could the presence of an XLR eclipse what was originally written by Mr. K, it could truly become the next generation's definitive version of KITT. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Glen also eyed this car, the XL-R (he owns one) but the problem we ran into is that it has no back seats.

=VK=

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:39 pm

seeker78: You are truly a broken record, bringing up the same pathetic points again and again, also please tell me the location of the Civic factory in the US because Civic's are built in Canada not in the US.

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Nowadays it's actually hard to take a pick as to the vehicle to use as KITT. Trans Ams back in the day weren't all that expensive, in comparison to say, the above shown Jaguar or Aston Martin (good for Bond and his villains... not for Knight Industries). And it still is a beautiful car, with a main body that did not change for 10 years straight. Nowadays car fascias are changed year to year, with next year's models shown a year ahead. It's hard to find something that won't go through upgrades and changes and will stop being the same car.
And I guess it has to be a current car, right? Well, the Nissan Fairlady Z32 its such a nice fit... t-tops, back seats, perfect scanner spot with the panel between the headlights, plus Trans Am styling cues (such as the tailights) and an impressive interior, already with the pods there. But it's not a new car.
Something toned down and sleek, plus within a price range so replicas aren't limited to a few... the Camry Solara could fit a HD scanner under it's grille's top chrome.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Jay wrote:Nowadays it's actually hard to take a pick as to the vehicle to use as KITT. Trans Ams back in the day weren't all that expensive, in comparison to say, the above shown Jaguar or Aston Martin (good for Bond and his villains... not for Knight Industries). And it still is a beautiful car, with a main body that did not change for 10 years straight. Nowadays car fascias are changed year to year, with next year's models shown a year ahead. It's hard to find something that won't go through upgrades and changes and will stop being the same car.
And I guess it has to be a current car, right? Well, the Nissan Fairlady Z32 its such a nice fit... t-tops, back seats, perfect scanner spot with the panel between the headlights, plus Trans Am styling cues (such as the tailights) and an impressive interior, already with the pods there. But it's not a new car.
Something toned down and sleek, plus within a price range so replicas aren't limited to a few... the Camry Solara could fit a HD scanner under it's grille's top chrome.
A Toyota? :roll: Eh...I'm not a Toyota fan... :|
Petition #9

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:41 pm

victor kros wrote:Glen also eyed this car, the XL-R (he owns one) but the problem we ran into is that it has no back seats.

=VK=
I know you mentioned the posibility of altering the NSX concept into a 2+2 when we realized it was only 2 seater. I take it that given the roll bar structure, and the retractible hardtop, that this just wouldn't be a feasible option for the XLR?

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:25 pm

KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:47 pm

blowersho wrote:seeker78: You are truly a broken record, bringing up the same pathetic points again and again, also please tell me the location of the Civic factory in the US because Civic's are built in Canada not in the US.
As the teenage girl pointed out earlier, Honda Civics are made on American soil in East Liberty, Ohio, among other places (I would guess that if you buy a new Honda Civic in the USA, it came from the East Liberty plant. there is one in Ontario as well, if you buy a Civic in Canada it was probably made at the Ontario plant. this is "lean manufacturing", Honda doesn't want to make the vehicles in Japan and have to ship them across the pacific when they could just make them here).

Japanese car companies make many car models in the USA.
The Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe and the Acura TL and RDX are made* at Marysville, while East Liberty produces the Honda Civic , Element and CR-V. The record coincided with the 25th anniversary year of Japanese auto production
That's from A Honda Press Release.

Hey I thought gearheads were usually all about "buy American" anyway? And people from the Midwest usually are as well? Did that change? What happened to "American muscle"? The Camaro would be "Canadian muscle".

Regardless, I'm more of a computer nerd but I'm all about "buy American" myself.