Season 3 DVD (Region 2 - UK) & Season 4 DVD

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sophos77
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season 3 DVD (Region 2 - UK) & Season 4 DVD

Post by sophos77 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,

Today, I purchased the 'Season 3' DVD for Region 2, (I pre-ordered it, 3 weeks ago). :D

Sadly, I confirm that there are missing effects (exactly the same with Region 1).

It is clearly indicated in the back cover of the Boxset that "Music May Differ From The Televised Version" and also "PLEASE NOTE that whilst every care has been taken to ensure the quality of this programme, due to the age of the original materials the technical quality of the programme may be slightly impaired in places".

The only difference, with the version in Region 1, is the fact that there are no extras (i.e. the episode from Season 4 - 'Knight of the Rising Sun').

In addition, the main menu is different from the DVD released in Region 1. The cover of the Boxset is also different, but it is almost the same with the cover used in Season 1 for the Region 1.

Hopefully, the promotional videos from each episode have not been cut (as it was used to be in Season 1 and 2, for the Region 2). However, there are no subtitles at all and the only audio language is English.

In Season 1 DVD, there are English SDH subtitles. In Season 2 DVD, there are: English, French and German audio languages and subtitles for several languages (probably that was the main reason that made 'Universal-Playback' to cut the promotional videos, due to the lack of space in the DVDs). But in Season 3 DVD, there are no subtitles. There is nothing at all.

The packaging is also different from Season 1 and 2 Boxsets (Region 2 - UK). Actually, it looks similar with Region 1. There are three cases, 2 DVDs in each case, and 6 DVDs in total.

In each case, there is a synopsis of each Episode included.

As I noted, the main menu is quite different from Region 1. And also, it is quite different from the previous Seasons released in Region 2. There are three choices in the main menu (which is exactly the same in all DVDs): a) play all, b) episode selection, c) UK market only (a promotional video from 'Universal-Playback').

The video quality is very good (as it was previously noted in the reviews made in the website). However, 'Universal-Playback' has not corrected the problem with missing effects, even though it was known since February. I had the hope that they were going to fix the problem, when 'Universal-Playback' changed the date of release from 6th March to 22nd May. But, unfortunately, I was wrong.
:(

Given the fact that 'A-team' and 'Knight Rider' (Season 3) were released the same date by 'Universal-Playback'. I assume that 'The Complete Season 4' of Knight Rider will be released on 18th September 2006 (according to Play.com, 'A-Team' will be released on 18/09/06).

I anticipate to have the 'Season 4' (for Region 1) in the following 5-10 days. I pre-ordered it from the internet a few weeks ago. :D

Regards,
Sofoklis :wink:

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Mon May 22, 2006 4:22 pm

Sad news indeed. I would be straight on to order it had the effects been fixed.

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

What the hell??? I thought that the reason the release of the region 2 version was postponed was that they were fixing the sound effect problem. And now they have released a product they know is faulty?!? What in the hell is wrong with Universal? This kind of behavior not only makes me mad, it makes me furious. Does Universal really underestimate its customers so much they think they can get away with this rubbish. I have more to say but I think that it is unprintable. **** *********

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Mon May 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Update: I mailed Universal and asked about the region 2 release.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Mon May 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Reissuleipa wrote:Update: I mailed Universal and asked about the region 2 release.
Good, tell us of the reply won't you? :D I just can't believe how little they can be bothered.

KNERD
Volunteer

Post by KNERD » Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm

That's £30 I've saved myself then.

I was hoping to be able to buy a correct R2 version to save the hassle of sending the faulty R1 version to the US for exchange. Think I will stick with the R1 version.

I will certainly think long and hard before buying any Universal made dvds again.

sophos77
Rookie

Post by sophos77 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:27 pm

It is certainly weird the fact that they have not dealt successfully with the problem of sound effects, so far. :?

Moreover, the 'Region 2' release is even poorer. In 'Region 1' release, they are English/Spanish subtitles and audio language selection. In 'Region 2' release, (which is supposed to be a European Version) there is nothing at all. Even the trivial extra feature episode from Season 4 is not included! :(
Of course, all these are tenuous issues compared to the serious 'sound effects' problem; but unfortunately, it is obvious how scrappy was the way that the DVD has been made for Region 2!
I was very pleased when Season 1 and 2 were released in DVD for the UK (Region 2), and of course, I am very content with them! But now, I am a little dissapointed and unhappy with Season 3. :(

I really hope that they will read our e-mails/queries, and finally, do something about this problem.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon May 22, 2006 10:51 pm

g'day any news if season 3 is out in australia?
are all these dvds all seasons uncut ones ie when knight of the drones was aird down under a while ago there was a missing scene where kitt tels michael about his new dash , yet another time they had that ep on and it had that in it...
--knightman--

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit

AUSTRALIA Knight Rider Season 3 dvd R4 Release Date

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Tue May 23, 2006 1:12 am

rhdaussiekitt wrote:g'day any news if season 3 is out in australia?
are all these dvds all seasons uncut ones ie when knight of the drones was aird down under a while ago there was a missing scene where kitt tels michael about his new dash , yet another time they had that ep on and it had that in it...
It wont be out till july but its the same version as uk same discs differenet dvd covers same pictures on the frount as uk just with australian laws printed on it so australia will have these errors two :evil:

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu May 25, 2006 10:07 am

The Prince songs are in fact cut from Region 1, so that is no mistake, however missing sound effects is what the problem has been about...

Can you guys confirm that sound effects such as KITTs engine are missing from Region 2??

Money is the only thing that matters to these companies, and they trample all over people's memories in their quest for the big green, just like video game companies do when they re-release classic arcade games...

SH

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu May 25, 2006 10:42 am

Oh man, by looking at this, I guess in the future we'll have the exciting, mind blowing new hd-dvd:s or blu ray systems that can even have a complete full season of a bastardised tv-shows without bonusmaterials, soundeffects, original music and subtitles in one single disc! I'm soo looking forward to that new, impressive technology... :roll:

-KITTfan-

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu May 25, 2006 3:13 pm

Exactly, as technology gets better, the end result gets worse, happens to movies all of the time, people are just too damn lazy, and so are companies like Universal...

These releases should be compliments to the original work, not let downs as they have been. The productions should be something that we would exclaim WOW, how'd they do that, instead of the slap in the face that we are getting! They pour millions of dollars into other projects, why not Knight Rider?

I think alot of it has to do with quality, there seems to be absolutely no quality control nowadays, companies are just allowed to release steaming piles without anybody once saying, um wait a minute, ah NO...

And it really takes the help of true fans for quality control, because cast and crew forget, they have done so many projects that they would not notice mistakes, even glaring ones!

Also it seems that they fail to hire people that have a passion for what they are doing, I can imagine the teams that worked on these were forced to come to work and turn out a lackluster product that they didn't care or think twice about...

SH

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sat May 27, 2006 5:12 am

Yeah, I thought with DVDs the viewing is meant to be better, like Star Wars was digitally re-mastered to make it better, not lets leave out the sound effects!!

It seams rather than admit there is a problem and publically announce it so we accept a further delay of Region 2, they would release & use that funds to cover the costs of replacing some Region 1 as bet they won't recall, only act if you complain.

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:34 pm

Still no reply from universal concerning the missing sound effects in R2 release. Looks like I'll have to mail them again and I think it might help if some R2-people would write a mail or two also. So at least Universal might understand that we know they are trying to get away with this bullsh*t again.

sophos77
Rookie

Post by sophos77 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:58 pm

I e-mailed to 'Universal-Playback' about the R2 release. So far, I have not had any reply.
I will e-mail again and I hope to get a response from them.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:51 pm

keep chasing for us UK peeps :wink:

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Update: mailed universal for the second time about the sound effects.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:49 pm

I still can't believe they just released the poor version to R2 knowing about the mistakes. That suggests they won't fix them, and I'm not going to buy it unless they do

UK SPM
Volunteer

Post by UK SPM » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:19 pm

I bought season three today and like everyone has noticed many special sounds have been dubbed out of it not so much the music but general sound effects like K.I.T.T's button sound particularly in Lost Knight.

When Doug get's into K.I.T.T he presses Eject left button and no sound effect at all ! :(

Why this has been done I don't know seems daft when Season Two was perfect in every detail ! :)

Great boxed set with two sets of DVD's in season three very different to Seasons 1 and 2 how they are set out in storing them all in one box set
"Keep your scanners peeled "

kittknight1979
Rookie

Post by kittknight1979 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am

Does anybody know why the teasers for Season 4's Scent of Roses and Knight Song are missing? Is this another universal screw up or is it supposed to be that way?
Kitt, I need you!

sophos77
Rookie

Post by sophos77 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:26 am

Certainly, these teasers should not be cut . The only plausible explanation that I can give is probably the lack of space in the DVD disc. :?

In the Region 2 DVDs (of Season 1 and 2), the teasers are similarly missing from all episodes and the only given explanation is the lack of space in the DVDs.