Black out Tail lights

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

IllMatic
Volunteer

Black out Tail lights

Post by IllMatic » Tue May 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Ive found blackout tail lights on many replica sites but they all seem to be a single piece ment to go straight across. My problem is that if I where to get one of these it will cover up the key hole that opens the trunk and my car doesint have a latch/switch inside the center consel or anything that will open it. I need the key hole. I looked on many sites and Single piece black out tail lights are 1993 and up, I cant find any for 1992 or below that will fit my F-body.

Has anybody else run into this problem?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Dave Knight » Wed May 24, 2006 1:23 am

Just a sugestion here. You say you DON'T have the console mounted button (between the two power window switch toggle buttons between the shift lever and the center console storage compartment) Do you have power door locks or just not the trunk release? The reason why I am asking is you can have an aftermarket installed trunk release that would be installed where the factory solenoid that trips the latch when the button is hit. You can even have it done with a keyless entry remote that would be on your key chain. This way you can pop the trunk and or lock/unlock the doors from outside the car with NO keys. MOST places that install car audio and or alarm systems can install a keyless entry, and add a trunk release and power locks to those cars that do not have them from factory. They can also install power windows if your car did not have them either.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

IllMatic
Volunteer

Post by IllMatic » Wed May 24, 2006 1:51 am

I do have power locks and windows but yeah no trunk release. Ill look into what you have sugested and see how much it will run me, my funds are limited. If anybody has a site that sells separate black out tail lights that would be good to just so I have the choice to choose between the two. Thanks Dave Knight, smart thinking.

IllMatic
Volunteer

Post by IllMatic » Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm

I was told instead of geting a power release trunk I could also drill a hole through the single peace black out tail light so I can still open the trunk with my key. Good idea?

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 pm

IllMatic wrote:I was told instead of geting a power release trunk I could also drill a hole through the single peace black out tail light so I can still open the trunk with my key. Good idea?
Yes, its a good idea. Cheap and easy thing to do.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
IllMatic wrote:I was told instead of geting a power release trunk I could also drill a hole through the single peace black out tail light so I can still open the trunk with my key. Good idea?
Yes, its a good idea. Cheap and easy thing to do.
That is what I would do. You can also replace the taillights. (http://www.knightreplicas.com/exterior_ ... nd_ka.html)
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.