Weinstein company to put Knight Rider into overdrive

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightfan1
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Weinstein company to put Knight Rider into overdrive

Post by knightfan1 » Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

as reported today on comingsoon.net, the weinstein company has announced they will distribute knight rider when it goes into production. it also says they will possibly put out magnum p.i. and the fall guy. visit the link for more details.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14435

Jobi Wan Kenobi
Volunteer

Post by Jobi Wan Kenobi » Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 am

Yah, I just read this on Cinescape. It sounds more like a remake than a continuation of the story like we've been talking about here. Hopefully they can still find a way to get DH involved.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Tue May 09, 2006 7:51 am

Grrr...I don't like the sound of that. I don't want them replaced. I hope they don't do that. We need something where FLAG left off, not a restart. Geez.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue May 09, 2006 11:10 am

Jobi Wan Kenobi wrote:Yah, I just read this on Cinescape. It sounds more like a remake than a continuation of the story like we've been talking about here. Hopefully they can still find a way to get DH involved.
How could you read that on Cinescape when the magazine's been cancelled? I read it on the sci fi channel's news wire.
Last edited by KRAvengerII on Tue May 09, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 09, 2006 11:24 am

We all have our own personal, trusted news sources. For me with Knight Rider movie news it's Daily Variety, the Hollywood trade magazine. And yes, it appeared in today's issue so for me, I finally consider this TRUE news about the movie:

TV's 'Knight' Rides Again
Ian Mohr

"The Weinstein Co. is steering an adaptation of the '80s TV series "Knight Rider" toward the bigscreen.
Indie banner has sealed a deal to acquire rights to the skein from creator Glen A. Larson, who also was behind such titles as "Magnum, P.I." and "The Fall Guy."

"Knight" follows a cop who's been left to die and is nursed back to health by a mysterious millionaire. The moneyman also gives the cop a new face; a new name, Michael Knight; and crime-fighting gadgetry, including KITT, the car with artificial intelligence.

Original skein ran on NBC from 1982-86 and starred David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight.

David Price, who brought the project to TWC, is co-producing.

Larson said he sees the feature version of "Knight" as a potential franchise property.

TWC has been beefing up on TV remakes of late: Unit recently pacted with rapper-thesp Ice Cube to produce and topline a bigscreen version of the ABC series "Welcome Back, Kotter" and the company also has on its slate "The Equalizer," with Paul McGuigan at the helm."

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 09, 2006 11:40 am

That's fantastic to hear. Weinsteins generally do quality movies. (Scary movie aside). They were responsible for the majority of the independant movie popularity when they were Miramax. I would say they're in good hands.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Tue May 09, 2006 12:38 pm

I really hope they don't start again in the movie. Just like the Dukes where the General started the movie with opening doors :-S
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 09, 2006 1:46 pm

BTW: A little back history on "The Weinstein Co". It was just formed in the last year by the two founding members of Miramax, Harvey and Bob Weinstein.

Miramax (named after their mother Mira and their father Max) was very heavily responsible for alot of the 'independent' movies of the last decade or so.

Some of their films that you might be familiar with: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Il Postino, Heavenly Creatures, Trainspotting, Swingers, Sling Blade, Scream, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, Cider House Rules, to name a few.

They recently left Miramax, because they wanted to get out from under the Disney umbrella, and the only way they could do that was to form a new company - Disney owns the Miramax name.

Of course, they are responsible for "Air Bud: Golden Receiver"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Here's a scan of the original article on the FRONT PAGE of Daily Variety. That's right, front-page news. Kind of interesting that they used the Nick & Jessica car for the photo, but I am POSITIVE they just used a stock image. Please don't start worrying that will be the car in the movie!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

The Hollywood Reporter is quoting Larson on something I hadn't seen yet:
"I had a meeting with Harvey, and I could tell he had just seen the two-hour pilot for the series." he said. "We agreed the film would be a darker, edgier version of the series, somewhere between 'Knight Rider' and 'Sin City.' "

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue May 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Oh goody. it was in USA today as well.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Whatever they do, I hope it won't be a remake of the pilot episode or anything like that. There's nothing but remakes left these days because Hollywood has been out of ideas for quite some time. I'd still see it, of course, but I'd be pretty disappointed if it wasn't a continuation. They should make the movie a continuation and still keep it fresh for people new to Knight Rider.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue May 09, 2006 5:28 pm

Eonline has brought up the possibility that Hasselhoff might not be attached to the new film:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,1 ... html?tnews

Joe

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Tue May 09, 2006 5:31 pm

what would work best in my opinion would be retelling the general classic storyline within the known continuity.
a new person, a new incident roughly similar to what happened to michael long, a new car, but honoring the past...

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue May 09, 2006 5:47 pm

The screwed Weinstein brothers want to do the "Knight Rider" movie without D. Hasselhoff? Say what?!?!?!
There goes my interest in the "Knight Rider" movie. :? :evil: :twisted: :shock: :| :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 09, 2006 6:06 pm

They were kind of alluding that in the original press release, Larson was saying no comment or the like when asked about Daniels and Hasselhoff's involvement.

I think that would be a mistake, simply since Hasselhoff has been a cheerleader for this movie for years. But that's similar to Richard Hatch in some respects, now isn't it? And Battlestar Galactica is more popular than the original... (stops playing devils advocate)

While this is great news to be had, and it's sure getting alot of coverage, it's still too early to know what's going to come of it.

Aeneasnu
Recruit

Post by Aeneasnu » Tue May 09, 2006 6:17 pm

I really hope that they bring David Hasselhoff back! :roll:

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Tue May 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Well, they tried to "recreate" the Dukes and it didn't do so well. I think as a "thank you" to the KR fans they need to have David in it at least. It would be nice if they could get Patricia too but David would do. The idea that I read about Michael taking over Devon's position and getting a new young guy in would be the ideal thing. That would kick off a new series I think.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Tue May 09, 2006 6:43 pm

neps wrote: Some of their films that you might be familiar with: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Il Postino, Heavenly Creatures, Trainspotting, Swingers, Sling Blade, Scream, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, Cider House Rules, to name a few.
Funny enough I don't like any of those movies, which isn't a good sign for me. Oh well, I guess we have a long wait. From the sound of it, it probably wouldn't be out until 2008.

psvl6
Recruit

Post by psvl6 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Knight Rider would just not be the same without David Hasselhoff. I would not be intrested in the movie without him in it. He is the Knight Rider.

Pam
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/da ... hoffworld/

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed May 10, 2006 12:31 am

I never heard of this production company nor the movies they put out. So I can't comment on whether or not it's a good thing.

But I agree they should keep DH and Daniels in the movie. KITT had a special voice only William Daniels can do. As for Michael, only The Hoff can play him.

I think they should not retell the story either. I think they should just continue it on, maybe a slight up grade or two to KITT but not too different a car. I do like the idea of a more darker, edgier side, as long as it's not overdone and that KITT still has his humor.

And I say this all the time: I want KARR to come back and not get destroyed! :) It would also provide humor if KITT and KARR had to work together. Imagine KARR using the f-word, being the rebel he is and KITT chastizing him for it. :lol: And then a few moments later, KITT himself udders 5h!7! :lol: It's got to have some humor, which is typical of KITT.

I hope they do well on this movie. Finally at least we have some solid news and popping up all over the place. Seems there is a lot of interest and it's one of those things the media even is taking note and not ignoring.

I'm excited. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 10, 2006 3:28 am

I posted the Hollywood Reporter article on my website:

http://www.knightridermovie.com/

(it uses basic rollovers, I think most browsers can handle it).

One interesting thing is the part that says the guy who brought the idea of the project to The Weinstein Co., David Price, is the son of Frank Price, who mentored Glen Larson during the 70s. So there is a nice bit of tradition going on there.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Here's a scan of the original article on the FRONT PAGE of Daily Variety. That's right, front-page news. Kind of interesting that they used the Nick & Jessica car for the photo, but I am POSITIVE they just used a stock image. Please don't start worrying that will be the car in the movie!

BAH :shock: It's the moustache strange spm KITT i also just thought that the moustache must replace the front part of the spm.
I hope they don't use that in the movie and DH and as many actors that there was needs to be in the new one
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 am

This is great news! It's very good sign that Glen Larson is involved, the movie will most likely have the original Knight Rider feeling in it :D
In my opinion, David Hasselhoff MUST be in the Knight Rider movie as Michael Knight, without him it's as bad as KITT not talking :roll:
It would be really nice to see Patricia McPherson too as a Bonnie Barstow and/or Rebecca Holden as a April Curtis, William Daniels as KITT's voice and K.I.T.T. in the original '82 Trans-Am, at least in the beginning of the movie so the "dangerous world of Knight Rider" could evolve from there to new things.
Anyway, can't wait to see the new KR movie :D

-KITTfan-

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 am

I never thought the day would come that we would actually see some solid news on the new KR movie. This is very exciting! :D I do hope DH does appear in the movie somewhere, and William Daniels HAS to be KITT. I already said a while ago that I won't even consider seeing it unless Mr. Daniels voices him. I just wouldn't be the same. But nonetheless this is awesome news!
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"