Knight industries sure makes things FAST!!

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:17 pm

I think you need to re-examine that. If you take it down to its bare essential technobabble, Devon is saying that it isn't paint. It's a finish that was bonded into the molecular structure. It was bonded to an existing structure, and became 'of a new substance'.

Larson had intended (rather loopy, really) for KITT to be made out of Long's Trans-Am. So in effect, they were supposed to be created from a Trans-Am, in base effect. Your point doesn't make much sense, because if they had to create a body to look like a trans-am from completely different materials, and that they had no reason to build KITT, the 6 month timeline wouldn't have been feasible.

But Devon's technobabble pretty much is to state that it isn't the paint or metal that Michael thinks it is, but that it is a new substance created by the adhesion of a new substance to create a new substance.

When they built KARR, they had no reason to build KITT, but they most likely sure needed all the parts for KARR, enough parts to create another car which in the end became KITT. In that case, the 6 month timeline is in fact feasible.

KI

Iconen
Volunteer

Post by Iconen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:20 pm

Geez ! Cut the insignificant nonsense. There were so many gaps in the plot of KR that there is no point to argue them ? Here's some: In the season 1 I don't remember the episode but nevertheless in one episode when kitt was driving by himself the camera was inside the car and the hand of a backseat driver was so obvious in the doorhandle that you couldn't miss that one. In the other episode KITT was drifting and the gasoline flew out from the filling hole from the side. Why there was another filling hole under the license plate ? There were things like flying parts and hanging rubber gaskets in turbo boost shots but when the angle changed the car was in perfect condition again. And the funniest part ! Where were all the -82 Trans Am's ? I think Michael Long was the luckiest man on earth to own such car all by himself :D

[edit] Addition: Who painted the gray finish to KARR in KITT vs. KARR when it was lying in the sea shore ? I recall that in the Trust Doesn't Rust the car was fully black ? BTW. I'm a fan of this show but I'm trying to pull you back into surface of earth :wink: [/edit]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:51 pm

I think before you start pulling people back, you should watch the uncut episodes of Knight Rider, and if you don't like these conversations and debates, then move on and find something else to comment to.

KI

Iconen
Volunteer

Post by Iconen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:21 pm

What did you meant with that uncut episodes thing could you specify ? :P But afterall that doesn't explain the hand in the "wheel" or does it ? :D
My apology anyway. I have nothing against these conversations or debates. My intention was to impeach the benefit of these debates because I thought that there were so many gaps but guess I'm wrong. I started the post with wrong lines.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:38 pm

For one, some of the things you mentioned were editing problems, not continuity or storyline mistakes.

Two, there is only so much you can talk about Knight Rider without spreading out further. Finding out logic where there isn't much is one of those ways.

In KITT Vs. KARR, the scene you don't see is the fact that KARR comes out of the sand pure black, and asks John to paint him part way through. Which is where the comment about the uncut episodes comes from.

KI

Iconen
Volunteer

Post by Iconen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:43 pm

In KITT Vs. KARR, the scene you don't see is the fact that KARR comes out of the sand pure black, and asks John to paint him part way through. Which is where the comment about the uncut episodes comes from.
My bad I saw the episode when I was about 10-13 years old. For some reason I didn't remember that part or it was cutted version. Luckuly it's going on here right now. 1st season is going on and Chariot of Gold is the next episode. Can't wait to see the KITT VS. KARR episode to refresh my memory.

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:11 pm

Here are a few things of possible interest.

1) KITT's voice modulator. He had a box-shaped voice modulator instead of the 3-line voice box. Obviously, for KITT to have this means he was rushed. KARR on the other hand had a 3-line voice modulator.

2) In KOTJ, Bonnie said she could re-create KITT's technology, meaning she could do it in a matter of days. Same as in JYD. She wound up doing it in 1 day in KOTJ.

3) In KvK, KARR said he is not a car, but a robot:

JOHN
What is this? You're a car. Cars
don't talk....

K.A.R.R.
Correct. I am not a car -- I'm the
Knight Automated Roving Robot, the
first in a bold new experiment. You
may call me 'KARR.' Speech is
actually the least remarkable of my
functions. Get in. Let me show you
what I can really do.

To me, this means that KARR and KITT are robots that look like cars. If he was made from an actual car, wouldn't KARR have said that?

So maybe the timetable to build a car from scratch is 2 months, not 6 months. It might have taken a few months to get the programming correct since KARR's and KITT's programming must be extremely complex. Once that was done, the building of the actual car might have been only 2 months.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:14 am

KARR pretty much said that to mean that he was not just a car. Both cars do in fact meet some of the criteria of robots. But generally, robots are made out of other things.

I think what I was trying to point out is the fact that in real life, putting a car together was feasible in six months. Building a car from scratch in two months is in fact pushing it. The six months concept comes from the episodes themselves, so that is what we were working with and saying was potentially realistic.

KI