Knight's Pay

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight's Pay

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:45 pm

I was wondering... Now much did Micheal Knight Knight get payed? Did he get payed? :lol: It just came to me... Anyhow, I figured this is like the house thing... There is many possiblities, and it was never said on the show. (I don't think... :?: )

Anyhow... Thanks... This should make for some good conversation...

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:02 pm

Well it seems more like flag was voluntary.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:05 pm

That is possible, but he must have been given some money... Or maybe he had everything on FLAG's bill... lol....

Sorry Devon... I had to spend $200 with that chick at that really nice resturant... lol :lol:

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:09 pm

Well if he didnt get paid by flag. Maybe he got paid by the people that he helped. lol I like what you put about Devon.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:32 pm

At one point in one of the episodes, I think it was Hearts of Stone, Michael and Devon are talking. Michael makes some comment about "It must cost a King's Ransom" and Devon replies" "Or at the very least, a Knight's Salary" (along those lines) So in general, it is pretty safe to say that Michael drew a paycheck from FLAG. It would make sense. I doubt he got paid by the people he helped, since they didn't exactly have a whole lot of money, and FLAG was out to help those who were in those areas. You can guess that all those charity functions and fundraisers that Devon was trying to drag Michael to were most likely to help pay for Michael's cost of living.

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:21 am

Yes... Interesting, well... I wonder if it was a good knight's pay... There was most likely never any real data made up. It was one of those unimportant things... Like MK going to the bathroom... :roll: But I am sure it was better then a cop's! Most likely around $100 000 annually... Maybe more. :? Beats me...

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:22 am

Yes... Interesting, well... I wonder if it was a good knight's pay... There was most likely never any real data made up. It was one of those unimportant things... Like MK going to the bathroom... :roll: But I am sure it was better then a cop's! Most likely around $100 000 annually... Maybe more. :? Beats me...

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:07 am

Well, Michael didn't seem to be spending a whole lot of money all the time. He certainly didn't need auto expenses :D

And yet he normally portrayed himself as broke (when it fit... When he needed to bribe a hotel man in Soul Survivor he had no problem pulling a 100$ or something).

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:01 am

I thought Michael's helping with FLAG was a favour in return for Wilton saving his life and his identity being kept secret and being free to still go out in the world was his reward.

But obviously FLAG is a charity run organisation. Michael probably does get money from them to do as he pleases when he is on vacation but the missions he does are a direct return favour for FLAG for what they did for Michael.

They obviously don't like him spending much on vacation cos Devon always seems to call him off them. lol.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Allen
Volunteer

Post by Allen » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:34 pm

If Michael were an actual employee, then US labor laws would apply to him, and he would have to make at least minimum wage. I believe Michael is paid, although he must have spent his money between episodes. I mean, he would have to save his money anyway--he couldn't work for FLAG his entire life, could he? He would need a retirement plan, insurance, etc.

We can also assume that whatever debts Michael Long had before KR were eradicated upon his death. But, did Michael receive a new Social Security number when he became MK? I would guess that FLAG pulled it off somehow.

Michael probably didn't make $100K a year. My guess is that he made in the $30s. Why?

His driving expenses were taken care of with KITT, so he didn't have a car payment or have to pay car insurance or gas.

We have postulated on these boards that he lived at FLAG, so he didn't have to pay rent or a mortgage.

True, FLAG is nonprofit, but did you see the FLAG mansion, with all its expensive furnishings, and Devon's expensive-looking suits? I know that FLAG helped the "down and out" who probably couldn't afford to pay much (and sometimes Michael did it pro bono 'cause there was a pretty girl involved!), but there are plenty of times when Devon assigns cases to Michael to solve. I'm sure that the Foundation charged pretty high for these cases. After all, they have to employ an agent, a car, a computer technician, etc. A typical case for the Foundation to solve could have cost thousands and thousands.

I know that Michael was the lone crusader fighting for a cause, and all that stuff. But--would he do it for free? I doubt it. He'd have to be paid something.

allen
http://www.allensedge.com

MKnightRider82
Rookie

Post by MKnightRider82 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:06 pm

Allen wrote:I know that Michael was the lone crusader fighting for a cause, and all that stuff. But--would he do it for free? I doubt it. He'd have to be paid something.
I don't think Michael was just in this business for the money. Now yes, he was involuntarily assigned to do all this. But still, he had to have it in him to care for the innocent. Michael wanted to put right over the doings of wrong.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:38 pm

For one, the Foundation got him assigned another SSN, you see it right next to his license in the Pilot.

I don't think the Foundation charged for its cases, and I don't think Michael worked for free. Michael most likely drew a salary. And remember, there was a much larger corporation behind the Foundation: Knight Industries.

KI

ocAdamR
Recruit

Post by ocAdamR » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:27 pm

Since Wilton Knight was a self-made billionaire, I'm sure Michael got a pretty good chunk of that when Wilton passed away. Also, wasn't Garth upset at Michael because Michael got what Garth 'should have' inherited?

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:14 pm

ocAdamR wrote:Since Wilton Knight was a self-made billionaire, I'm sure Michael got a pretty good chunk of that when Wilton passed away. Also, wasn't Garth upset at Michael because Michael got what Garth 'should have' inherited?
I've always thought that. In my fan fiction that I thought up after Devon dies at the will reading Michael finds out that Kitt and FLAG belongs to him. Some kind of thing Wilton and Devon had made. Wilton just had Michael adopted into the family when he was given the Knight name. While Jennifer gets Knight Industries, the natural progression has Michael taking the reins of FLAG.

Which makes sense I mean Wilton had Michael made to look like his son, he gave him his last name and picked him to carry on his dream. So why not have him inherit the "family" business. :D

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:19 pm

I don't think Michael got much - if any - of Wilton's inheritance. As greedy as Garth was, I believe he was more jealous of Michael because of the resources and respect that was given to him.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:36 pm

Well, I think it's like the military. You get a mediocre salary and you aren't doing it for the money. :)

I made $1800/month, roughly, when I was an E-4 (Petty Officer Third Class), including sea pay, submarine pay, etc. That might sound like a lot, since I lived in the barracks (taxpayer paid) and had taxpayer provided food (if I chose to partake of that as opposed to eating at McDonalds etc). But underway on a submarine, you don't have McDonald's to eat at, and you are working 24 hours a day, so 1800/(24*30) = $2.50 an hour (my longest submerged time without surfacing I think was about 84 days or so). This is why reason #4 of the 101 Reasons Why McDonald's [and other McJobs] is Better than Submarines is "Better pay". Granted, at Macy's, I made about $550 a month or so. But I also worked a lot less...no field day, the sanitary tanks never overflow (such an event requires junior personnel to clean up human waste off the deck), you never have to stay at Macy's overnight...

My point is, right now it's a volunteer military, especially submarines, because you can't be assigned to one (it is very dangerous work; you have to volunteer, unlike an aircraft carrier, which the Navy can place you on). People have various reasons for it...guarenteed job, the GI Bill (taxpayer paid college tuitition when you get out), etc. The underlying reason, though, is love of the founding values of this nation. After all, if you don't love Democracy, freedom of speech, the free market, limited government powers, etc., then why risk your life for $2.50 an hour? I think Michael Knight feels the same way.

--Brian