Would they make new levels for KR game if enough ppl asked?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Shadow_Sonic
Volunteer

Would they make new levels for KR game if enough ppl asked?

Post by Shadow_Sonic » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:11 pm

I know the subject of the KR game is probably old and run its course but I have a question lingering in my mind. I wonder if we could get enough people to send emails to Davilex about it.. that they would make some additional levels that could be downloaded for the PC game of KR. 15 levels just isn't enough and sometimes the same track is used more than once. I thnk if they made atleast 10 more levels for the game it might not be so boring and short. Also are there any fan-sites that are working on making their own stuff for the game? I'm just curious.

dragonball1957
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by dragonball1957 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:40 pm

well I think they might ignore us now since its been a while .
But we also dont know for sure if they are 15 levels .

And yea I hope they dont reuse the same ones and close off certain areas.

I have a funny feeling that the levels may still make most of us disapointed .

why ?

Because most ppl said that it should be somewhat like Grand Theif Auto .
But now we all know that most of the time GTA's levels had little emphasis on speed .
(Emagine Pursuit or SUper Pursuit modes in those populated streets!!)

but anyway . I think they might Ignore us because making anymore levels might throw off next story for the sequal . if they add more they might spend even more time redoing the whole level setup in sync with a whole new story again .

we can hope for the best!!!

I do have one thing that they should leave

KEEP THE INI FILES FOR CRIST SAKE!!!! PlZZZ!!!

oh yea there is a fan game being made but I cant remember the site .

I think its called KNight RIder RPG

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:16 pm

Well, Davilex are supposedly working on the sequel, so in answer to your question.... I have grave doubts they will.

They are a fairly small development house, so the chances of seeing update packs etc has always been slim. Certainly they have never released extra levels for any of their other games to the best of my knowledge.

So, as my friend here told you, you can either wait for the KR RPG, Davilex's sequel, or maybe there is a fan out there with the skills to make a fan add on? Who knows... stranger things have happened. ;)

Shadow_Sonic
Volunteer

Sequel??

Post by Shadow_Sonic » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:00 pm

They're woking on a sequel? Who said that? Davilex themselves or was it just a rumor? If they are indeed working on a sequel I hope to god it'll be better than the current KR game. Hopefully in the next one you'll actually be able to get out of the car and walk around as Michale. And I'd also hope that the next game will be MUCH-MUCH longer and complicated. From what I have seen it looks to me like Davilex aren't all that big of a company. But I am basing this on what I've seen in the KR game and their website.

Its almost as if KR is the first game they've made and their just starting out as this little undergound game production group. I hope they are intelligent enough to take the suggestions from the fans of the series as they would know the best. I still think it wouldn't hurt to have KR fans email them. Perhaps they need more ideas as far as what to have for missions? I think Junkyard Dog would make a great level. Lack of visible damage (such as dents) was also a bit of a letdown for me. Breakable walls that shatter into smaller bricks would've been cool. Same with those chain link fences. KITT should be able to bust through those like cheap chicken wire.

I thought that KITT should've atleast had a laser. And where are Goliath's missiles? The AI's really need some work. KARR doesn't even use his Turbo-Boost and his moves are rather predictable.
Last edited by Shadow_Sonic on Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:09 pm

Have a look here friend. :)

Shadow_Sonic
Volunteer

Cool, but do you think they'll listen?

Post by Shadow_Sonic » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:25 pm

Okay, I read some of the suggestions in that and I think they're great. Do you think the Davilex people will remember it when they are making the next KR game? Also I don't think the 450 MPH is humanly possibly to manuever. Perhaps just having a flat SPM speed of 200 or 250 would be better. Though it could be possible to control KITT at such speeds if he had better weight. I actually liked having to hold down the button to use SPM but I did miss seeing the orange flaps for EBS. Alot more time, work, and considration needs to be put into such a game as KR.

Had their initial project been given 2 or 3 years and input from various fan sources it could've been way better. Keep mailing them and reminding them, hopefully they will use the ideas. I think it'd also be wise to start sending them some rough ideas for missions based on ideas and episodes from the show. Also umm.. I don't mean to be rude or make Davilex sound poor, but I kinda almost wonder if they didn't nearly bankrupt themselves just geting the liscencing from Universal. I'm sure that it wasn't cheap, so after they spending all thir money on getting the liscence they didn't have the finances for advanced game design staff and resources.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:25 pm

Well, by default, most games companies cannot accept game concepts from individuals outside their own companies. Its all to do with copyright issues. Hence why I made sure the list was correctly titled as "suggestions". It was more a wish list than anything else. Its down to them whether they use them or not.

As for mailing them, there is little point as they are busy. Just leave them, and hopefully they will release some details soon. No point rushing them. Most major video games take 2 or 3 years to complete. The longer they take on the game, then hopefully the better the end result.

Patience. :)

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:54 pm

sith. how long did it take to make the 1st knight rider game.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:27 pm

I estimate somewhere around 9 - 12 months looking at their release schedule over the past few years.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:33 pm

this time on the 2nd game i hope they make a ntsc version of the game on ps2. so the american's can play the game on there consoles.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:35 pm

They did the first time, but Sony blocked the release, for some as yet unreleased reason.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:39 pm

so that was the reason why it did't come. i'm just confused why sony did'n appprove the game. i't could be because we did't get the game at the same time europe did.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:25 am

It was primarily because of the amount of disgruntlement from the masses, there wasn't enough call or enough of a profit margin to be gained by the PS2 release, since so many people were talking about how bad the game was, and many were already sharing it online. Those as a rule are the two things that will sink any release.

KI

Shadow_Sonic
Volunteer

Heh.. I can see why.

Post by Shadow_Sonic » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:13 am

Yeah a game thats only 200 or 300 megs could be shared easily over Kazaa especially if a no cd hack could be made for it. Sucks cuz any money that Davilex gets from KR game purchases could be going to help finance any future KR games they might make. I'm not saying pirating is bad, but fledgeling companies (and bands too) need that money so that they can get better and people Warez'ing it doesn't really help much. I assume though that alotta people bought the KR game simply because its KR.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:36 am

Looking at Davilex's other games and there history of less then successful games and marketing and such should speak well enough for the future of the Knight Rider Games. Vivendi/Universal really needs to get the license into the hands of someone else. As long as Davilex keeps producing them... the longer they will continue to rehash it with just all new levels. London Racer and its same old crap over again and its sequels should speak well enough for itself. You are all welcome to keep the faith in Davilex and hopefully you will all get to rub it in my face and say "I told you so" but from my standpoint and the sales figures, there other products.... then its obvious to think out load that Knight Rider 2 aint gonna be anything special.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:38 am

As I understand it, there was a PS2 version released in Europe.

Do we actually know what the sales figures were and how it compares to other games, specifically from Davilex? Despite the criticism it got on this board, the game review sites didn't think it was all that bad. Not great, but they definitely understood its appeal. When a lot of the reviews say "if I only they would have done this...", that can be a reason to do a follow-up.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:03 am

Well, looking at some of the major game sites its average score over 20 reviews was 5.4 out of ten.

When I first mailed Davilex they mentioned that KR had been there biggest hit thus far, hence a sequel was inevitable.

For the most part I agree with Ken though. They are points I've made since I first come on this board - the similarity between London Racer and the KR game I mean.

If you look at the three games in the London Racer series, they are very very similar... with little differences apart from graphical improvements. They only seem to churn out average racing clones. You can see the influences their other products had on the KR game - in its simplicity for example.

This was the major motivating factor in me trying to put together the suggestions list. There were aspects to the Knight Rider franchise that were blatantly and sorely missing from the original. Now they have our wish list, and not only will it make them aware of what their market wants to see, but should markedly improve the overall product.

Its down to them if they use it however. It may be, as was the case with all their other product lines, that the original code will be re-used and just slightly graphically improved. I hope this is not the case, but given the lack of feedback from them on the list, its a fear that both myself and Ken share.

I will say though, it was interesting to note their recent release Beach King Stunt Racer was quite a departure from their previous games. It wasn't an out and out racer, more about pullin off tricks ala the Tony Hawks skate boarding games.

So... maybe there is hope for some originality yet. You never know. :|

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:02 pm

so your saying is the graphics are going to be slightly better.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:03 pm

so your saying is the graphics are going to be slightly better.

Shadow_Sonic
Volunteer

Response from Davilex.

Post by Shadow_Sonic » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:02 pm

I sent an email to pr@davilex.nl and got a reply from somebody who's name is Wolterbeek something or other. He said:

"Well we will take your suggestions to heart if and when we make a sequel."

Makes me curious of whether they're actually planning to make another KR game. Also is it just >ME< or does KARR sound ahelluva lot like Freeza from DBZ? Its like Freeza's V.A. but with a little mechanical reverb. I think that the ski mode and SPM should remain how they are. Pressing the button and holding it to stay in the mode. In certain cases practicality could be more important than resemblence to the show.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:02 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:As I understand it, there was a PS2 version released in Europe.

Do we actually know what the sales figures were and how it compares to other games, specifically from Davilex?
Game Developer Magazine. http://www.gamedev.com puts out quartelry and annual game sales reports. I can't remember the month they reviewed Knight Rider, but I do recall the title of the article being "KNIGHT RIDER: WHAT WENT WRONG?" I'll find it in the mess of magazines and give it a scan for you. It did horridly. (A 3d bass fishing game did better then it did) Perhaps compaired to London Racer I can see it being there best seller. Slightly more fans for Knight Rider, then London Racer I would presume. ;) It didn't touch the sales of Dukes of Hazzard's PS1 and PC release, but it did cream the Starksy and Hutch game. hehe. But even the article slams them to death about a poor budget, advertising and the such.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;