KITT's Audible Scanner Noise

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nivek
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by nivek » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:07 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, of course, I am the same person who always thought that maybe KITT's scanner should change color to help convey his emotions, sort of like a mood ring. *ducks from the rocks*

I thought the why that kitt shows emotions is by speed up his red light are scaner are slowing it down

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:34 am

I understand what you are saying and i would not say what I am saying if it didn't happen every time someone says something to right someone when they get a fact wrong are even insalt you hell if I would take everything people seresly I would of been in more fight back in shcool then what i can count. It seem it happen way too much around here and no i have not been a part of very many of these type of web sites but the few I have there is a lot les anger what ever you wont to call it.
For one, it doesn't happen every time, just every time that something occurs around here that may insult more than one person, that may cast an even nastier light on this community, or in short is just something that shows that there is absolutely no pride in the contributions.

Maybe you, Nivek, should take things a whole lot more seriously, and take a little bit more pride in what goes on. Some of us have been around in this community for many years, and take the effort to try to properly relay the correct information. To correct some of the incorrect assumptions about most of us, and what do we get in return? A lot of whine and crud in return. We get accused of not caring. We get accused of harassing and badgering people. We get accused of being non sociable, psychotic, arrogant, know-it-all, argumentative, uncourteous, aggressive, plus the whole slew of bad word garnished descriptives.

Every single time that we correct somebody, that other person gets their undies in a twist, and automatically says that we are being something objectionable. One has to wonder if those who are asking the questions, making the statements, or making the ultemateums and barbs really want to know the facts, or would rather continue on swimming in their own world where they rule, and are correct, even though they are incorrect.

Let me give you a few insider hints here: Most other webboards...they have full time moderators who erase, they don't let people talk it out, they don't let self-moderation occur, they just delete. They take the personal side out, and take the heart of out it. This community, KRO, The Foundation, Knight Registries, KRUK, (the boards) and the websites have all dared to be different, to bring more of the human element to the net, because basically, we are one of the more unfavorable fandoms out there. We aren't cool. We aren't hip. We aren't the most popular on the block, and never have. How many people here have gotten teased for liking the show? Almost every one of us.

So, in return, we try to make a little bit more of a human community, and a community that looks out for not only ourselves, but for others. Who try to keep the facts straight, the general pride up, and to present the appearance that we aren't just a bunch of goobers who like to worship a show that hasn't been on the air since the 80's. Yeah, we are going to end up confrontational. We are going to end up taking a lot personally. We are going to end up having conflict, we still have them amongst the old guard, but it really hurts when the new generation comes in, the very people for whom we are trying to preserve the fandom for, and they come in for attacks, barbs, and to split up the community. And yet, some of us are still trying to keep some of the pride up.

Stupid...ok, naive questions will show up in every message board. And on the general, we are more than happy to answer them. But when people can't take the answers, because it disagrees with them, or because it is a bit of a slap on the wrist for behavior sakes, especially when it is a judgment against somebody or the community from people who haven't been here for a long time, and are automatically just whipping out the assumptions without any background history to base it as such, is definitely going to be met with some opposition. Because we are all human, we are more than the words on the page, behind it all is a human, and some of us have a deep pride and a deep appreciation for not just the show, but the fandom, and those who can respect the grounds from which the fandom has grown on.

*gets off soap box*

Now, to answer this response:
I thought the why that kitt shows emotions is by speed up his red light are scaner are slowing it down
Yeah, that is why we always thought that it should be different colors, because sometimes, it is hard to discern what the emotion is (As Neps mentioned) through just speed.

KI

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:39 am

I understand what you are saying and i would not say what I am saying if it didn't happen every time someone says something to right someone when they get a fact wrong are even insalt you hell if I would take everything people seresly I would of been in more fight back in shcool then what i can count. It seem it happen way too much around here and no i have not been a part of very many of these type of web sites but the few I have there is a lot les anger what ever you wont to call it.

ps this not not to make any one mad it is just what I see that well make this a little less volotal
Um... I'm sure I'd have an answer for that..... If I understood it.

:lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:19 am

Nivek, stop now. You're not helping. Let's all just move on, shall we?
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:45 am

Whatever little dance people want to do is fine by me, but "masta"?! I'm a little uncomfortable with the use of that word. Just seems a little inappropriate to me personally.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:29 pm

Get over it, Mike, I was just demonstrating what it is like to be a slave to somebody who feels that they get their power over demeaning and ordering people.

Before you start defining inappropriate, you just might want to take a look at yourself. For starters, by airing your personal grievances with me on the board, rather than by PM.

Once you do it, I am forced to do it as well.

Next, maybe you don't know how I feel, so kindly don't tell me HOW to feel, or how to express those feelings.

Third, well lookie, lookie, it seems like we are more interested in carrying this out, rather than putting an end to it. Are we starting to get to the point where we would rather look for things to complain about, even when basically, I defended thee, rather than to move on? I guess you are as guilty of what you accuse me of, as I am, if not more.

And then to say 'whatever little dance people want to do is fine by me'. That is insulting as well, Michael. Nobody is doing a 'dance', except by your skewed definition. THAT is inappropriate to me, personally.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:26 pm

You are the first person to tell everyone else -publicly- when they post something potentially offensive, or in poor taste, or disrespectful. So why can't the rest of us speak up when we see something offensive? The sarcastic southern slave accent can be a negative and hurtful stereotype which I don't think belongs in polite company. It's an attitude which should have gone away with Amos 'n Andy. I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels that way.

I've said how I feel, it's clear to me you disagree. That's OK.

Mike

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:35 pm

And out and out slander of me, and telling me that I am not worth arguing with, and trying to hurt me in public isn't negative and hurtful? I hate to say it, but it is a whole lot more negative and hurtful than any sarcastic southern slave accent.

And where were you when the post originally went up? My problem is the fact that you waited until the next DAY, after it was basically passed, to jump all over me.

I'm sorry for doing it, I really am. I never meant any disrespect or anything to anybody for it. I am just trying to find different ways to defend myself that I don't get continually crucified for. But I guess no matter what, it's always wrong. But to be honest, coming in long after the fact and kicking me for it doesn't help, especially when you posted long beforehand and had the opportunity to deal with it before with your previous post.

Not to mention, the little commentary about the 'dance' was uncalled for, and just an unjustified jab.

Once again, I apologize for the sarcastic southern slave accent.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:55 pm

knightimmortal wrote: Once again, I apologize for the sarcastic southern slave accent.
Thank you. I think it should mean a lot to the board for you to say that.

To answer your question, I intentionally waited to bring up the subject because it upset me and I didn't want to post in the heat of the moment. I knew that speaking up would cause additional tension, but since it was something I felt strongly about, I didn't want to ignore it. So I waited until I was a little more calm. I actually did post a longer response last night, but then changed it because I felt I was being too aggressive at the time.

Mike

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:04 pm

any way back to the topic at hand. ok so that is not why he speeds it up and slows it down. ok lets just say that kitt could change the color of the scaner. what would happen to kitt not under standing the humen feelings and consitering that he does not under stand them how would he know if he is mad or happy or sad?

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:14 pm

For a car with no feelings KITT was always having emotional outbursts. He would get worried, (Often saying 'Devon, I'm worried! Bonnie, I'm worried.) Happy (Michael, it's good to see you!) and cowardly (KITT - heights and water - not good for a car on a planet consisting of 70 odd percent water) His scanner would move anxiously when he said it, even if it didn't change colour or make noises. Watch it, it's quite cute.

I'm going to say now about anything I might have posted as a newbie, now and in the past, that might have upset anyone. Especially over the Devon postings. It really did come out wrong. I think you're all fab, and very friendly to strangers, and I know I don't know much about the history and background to the show, but I like to contribute and like it when people put me right, I learn more that way.

Tony ONeill
Volunteer

Post by Tony ONeill » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:15 am

Hi guys,

If anyone wants a windows media file of the scanner noise, I have a copy!

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:52 pm

OK, here's a question I posted on another board.
What did they use for the scanner sound?
I'll post what I was told in a day or two.

Chris :roll:

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:12 pm

Sounds like it could be a frequency modulation with a specific ADSR curve introduced, created in something like TurboSynth, or some other sound Synthesis program, but that's just a guess.

Ghost

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:17 pm

Isn't it the same sound as they used for the cylons in Battlestar Galactica?

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:19 pm

I thought that but the cylons are more high pitched. Same light display though, and they have the same joysticks on the fighters in BG that the attack helicopter has in Merchants of Death.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:55 pm

Cylons were definitley different. The interesting thing, though, is if you speed the scanner sound up, it sounds like something you'd get when whipping a stick or rope through the air. Try it with Sound Recorder and see.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:46 pm

The question that springs to my mind is what are you doing whipping sticks and ropes through the air??? :shock:

:lol:

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:50 pm

It SOUNDS like it stupid! :-P

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:20 pm

And how do you know what they sound like?? Huh? huh? huh?

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:39 pm

OK, here's what I was told....
If you record KITT's scanner noise with a recorder that has 2 speeds on the SLOWER speed, then play it back using the faster speed, you will hear a bird singing. That's what I was told, so aussieknight was on the right track.
Good work!

Chris

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:47 pm

Yeah, but is that how they made the sound, or is that simply a trick that someone found from playing around with the sound?

It sounds very much like a synthesized noise to me.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:19 pm

Ask the guys who did it! Maybe our mates Joe & Ritchie know, and put it in their book.
I just watched Trust Doesn't Rust yesterday, and KARR's scanner sound was SO synthesised sounding, it was ridiculous.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:26 am

corlando52 wrote:OK, here's what I was told....
If you record KITT's scanner noise with a recorder that has 2 speeds on the SLOWER speed, then play it back using the faster speed, you will hear a bird singing. That's what I was told, so aussieknight was on the right track.
Good work!

Chris
And so far, nobody on the registries has suggested anything else, huh?

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:09 pm

It's synthesized or it's William Daniel's showing just how good a voice actor he really was.

I can just picture him sitting there whistling away...