Knut Rider in Mad Magazine

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Allen
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knut Rider in Mad Magazine

Post by Allen » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:31 pm

My recent daily watching of KR drove me to locate the issue of Mad Magazine out of the boxes of Mads that featured Knut Rider. The issue is Sep 1983, #241, and is based on the first season of KR, I believe.

The artwork, by Angelo Torres, is remarkably good. All of KITT's TransAm body exteriors are very well drawn, and even the shots of the dashboard are mostly accurate (except for the drawing of the dashboard on the splash panel that includes controls like "Broad Finder," "Forward Reverse Sideways Up Down," "Fast Faster Faster Yet" and "Push here for readout of 50 top tunes according to "Billboard"). Michael is drawn typical-Michael, with jacket and the shirt's top two buttons undone.

The name parodies are as follows: Micro Nut, Kitty, Bunny, Devil.

The back door of the semi has a sign that reads: "There is nothing suspicious about a gleaming black truck with skids dragging along behind it and a complete service station inside, so just mind your own business!"

The lines in the story are a scream. Micro is in a restaurant, and there are shots fired. The waiter reacts, and Micro says "Don't worry, I'll solve the crime... and I won't charge you a penny! But first I must call for help." Kitty smashes through the wall, the waiter says "My WALL! That car wrecked my wall! Who's going to pay for that?" Michael replies "Like I said! "I'll solve the crime... and I won't charge you a penny!" That wall's wrecked for free!" and Kitty says "Did you see that, Micro? That brick wall ran right in front of my grill!"
Then Micro finds out there aren't any gorgeous girls involved, so he and Kitty take off, through a new hole in the wall. The waiter says "Couldn't you at least go out the same hole you came in?" Micro replies "That would be absolutely no fun for my car!"

Kitty drives into the semi, and nearly runs over Devil, who tells Micro to hit the brakes sooner. Kitty replies with "I've TOLD him that, but he never listens!" Micro says "Shut up before I let the air out of your tires." Kitty responds with "YOU shut up before I let the air out of your hair style! Without that 'wind-blown' look, you're NOTHING!"

It goes on and on. It's a great sendup of KR, lotsa laughs.

allen

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:50 am

Any chance of scanning them in and sticking it on the web for all of us to gleam at? 8)

Allen
Volunteer

Post by Allen » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:16 am

I'd love to scan them in and post it on a site, but I don't have a site as of yet. Perhaps someone with KR site might be interested in posting it? I could scan the pages and email them.

allen

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:17 am

I would be interested in posting them. You can send them off to webmaster@knightrideronline.com if you like. I will of course give proper credit to you.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:16 am

I remember a similar one with the same name, but it involved the boys from Dukes of Hazzard. The artwork wasn't quite as accurate as yours though, by the sound of it.
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Allen
Volunteer

Post by Allen » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:51 am

I remember the Mad that parodied Dukes, only it was called "Dopes of Haphazard." It seems like the artwork was akin to the artwork in Knut Rider, though, by the same artist. I'm not sure if I have that one in my collection.

I've since emailed the scans of Knut Rider to neps, and he will have it posted soon.

allen

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:14 pm

Here you go all, hope you enjoy! They have alot of interesting details, check out the dash, the "kills" icons on the side of kitt, the various tail light versions.

Join Micro and KITTY in the pages of Mad Magazine.

http://knightrideronline.com/mad.php

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:17 pm

hahaha thanks all! That parody is pretty awesome.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:31 am

Did someone say the artwork was remarkable? Did I read that right?!?! :-|

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:04 am

Remarkable.. I don't know where you saw that. But it's pretty interesting the detail to knocking certain aspects of the show. The illustration is standard, but the creativity is good.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Re: Knut Rider in Mad Magazine

Post by aussieknight » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:00 pm

Allen wrote: The artwork, by Angelo Torres, is remarkably good. All of KITT's TransAm body exteriors are very well drawn, and even the shots of the dashboard are mostly accurate (except for the drawing of the dashboard on the splash panel that includes controls like "Broad Finder," "Forward Reverse Sideways Up Down," "Fast Faster Faster Yet" and "Push here for readout of 50 top tunes according to "Billboard").
I guess, as Obiwan Kenobi would say, it all depends on your point of view. :-)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:58 pm

Damn find feature, failed me again.