I thought kitt could not be damaged?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nivek
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

I thought kitt could not be damaged?

Post by nivek » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:55 pm

Ok so what is up with kitt getting damaged by that missile in Knight of the drones. the reason i ask this is because in trust doesn't rust they say there almost nothing can hurt kitt other then that laser. That is only if he gets hit in the front scanner part. :?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:26 pm

KITT can only be destroyed if they hit him in the scanner. KITT received damage throughout the series in one form or another, everything from having his alpha circuit damaged, to having the crud being beat out of him, and in Knight of the Drones case, the missile went in and did a lot of internal damage, but not full destruction.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:11 pm

The reason for this is that the main thing that keeps KITT so indestructible is his MBS coating (important) that's on the outside. The tailpipe is about as direct an access as there can be to the inside of the engine, (again, important) where there never was any MBS applied. Luckily, there isn't a missile in the world (even of the Knight Rider) that can navigate what tight twists and turns exist inside an exhaust pipe. But, the resulting explosion would still travel it's way through a portion (if not all) of the pipe, causing the internal damage.

"They" sure had fun figuring out ways of getting around that beyond-bullet proof hyde of KITT's.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:11 pm

ok so here is one other question how hot can kitt body get? does any one know are is the closes answer to that in that show when he drives though the hot lava

psychotic_carp
Stranger

Post by psychotic_carp » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:31 pm

ALL of kitt was protected (one episode micheal threw a bomb in the back seat and closed the doos and kit was fine) every time kitt was damaged was becaused whatever hit him was coated or his coating was removed (goliath was coated thus the season finally) in another episode a water truck was filled with material that removed the protectin and he was then hit

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:25 pm

Not quite accurate, not everything that damaged or destroyed KITT was coated. The Missiles were not coated, the acid pit was not coated.

And Nivek, you just answered your own question. The heat of the lava was probably the hottest KITT could stand, and even then, his pyroclastic lamination was starting to not hold anymore.

KI

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:40 pm

What it boils down to, is that they needed an excuse to change KITT's dashboard every season. You gotta remember that the first time this series ran. Almost every single time that KITT got destroyed, it was the season finally.

Also, KITT's NEARLY indestructable, look at it this way. The missile exploded nearly inside KITT and he took a fair amount of internal damage. But say a missile hit YOUR car? I willing to bet it would be obliterated.

And the acid pit, all of KITT's insides were gone. But his Chassis was still there. What would happen to YOUR car if it was in a acid pit, it would turn out like KITT's Interior.

So, KITT takes damage, but a considerable less amount then any normal car.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:21 pm

KITT's heat tollerance has gone up through the years. I'd agree that the lava was most likely the hottest thing KITT had to stand up to. (That jewel powered laser might have beat the lava. Can only guess at that one.)

I don't think anyone has yet tried to take a reasonable stab as to why KITT's basic frame survived the acid pit, when it ate through everything else. But, basic chemical facts should be able to answer that one.

As for exploding stuff inside KITT...could mean one of two things. 1) KITT's fabric interior REALLY WAS MBS coated. 2) The writers got carried away with the basic facts. (If KITT had MBS laced fabric, why not coat Michael's jacket in the stuff, too?)

youngblood
Volunteer

Post by youngblood » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:53 am

In Knight of the Drones, KITT was hit with a missle in his exhaust pipe.
The exhaust pipe would be a good weak spot where the MBS could not save KITT, because it is a hole in the shell. As is the scanner, anything that requires outside interaction cannot be protected by the MBS since it would not allow those things to function. Tires, scanner, exhaust...I know theres one more im forgetting.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:48 am

I think the tires are protected by the mbs other wise they would of popped driving thought the hot lava.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:28 pm

Yes. There are several examples of how the tires were MBS protected. The hot lava. The jewel powered laser. Those tire spikes at the drive-in.

Ummm...those MBS COATED TIRES deflated and then re-inflated themselves in Slammin' Sammy's, making the MBS formula plyable and totally appliable to the interior fabric, answering my own idea about how the MBS COULD NOT be applied inside.

HOWEVER, in KITTNap, the bucket seats take bullets. Which dis-proves the theory of the upholstery having the MBS protection...Hummm...

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:31 pm

Once again, KITT's tires weren't made out of standard rubber, either, so it is just possible that in fact there was a weaker variation of the MBS on them, but the tires themselves were highly resistant to heat, bullets, etc. The only thing that could penetrate them other than the laser was the tuflex-coated bullets.

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:34 pm

they also do that go flat in a good knight's work too when michael has kitt to shut him self. then they fulls back up when micheal hits that homing devise

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:48 pm

Yeah the tire pressure was controled by Kitt...quite a usefull feature, I'm sure.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned with the exhaust pipe is that its probably also full of exhaust fumes....so when the missile hit it an exploded the explosion would have travelled along the pipe an eventually hit combustible fumes and literally become an internal combustion engine.

:)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:55 pm

good point :lol:

youngblood
Volunteer

Post by youngblood » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:19 pm

oh yeah the tuflex bullets...I knew I remembered his tires being shot out in the one of the episodes. The MBS didnt protect KITT from the lava it was some laser heat shield that Bonnie installed. I dont remember what it was exactly called.

Anyone else notice how big the ripples were when Goliath2 drove over the cliff and into the ocean? Its obvious that it was a small model made to look like a big truck.
Its really funny how we used to believe those cheesy special effects.
how many times did you see KITT landing from a Turbo Boost at too high of an angle to be able to land flat. Hasselhoff had some decent acting that still has me believing he just hard landed from a jump. Always, ending with the trademark...WWOOOOOO! and looking behind him and what they just jumped over.
ANyone know if they put KITT back on display at Universal?
I was there a few years ago and he was gone.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:53 pm

Pyroclastic lamination.

And actually, it was April who installed it. It is one of the few April inventions that survived. :)

KI

Allen
Volunteer

Observations from Newbie

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:07 pm

I've visited these boards often, and have recently become a member. Like most everyone else here, I watched and loved KR when I was a kid, and enjoy watching it now, nitpicking it more than before.

I find it difficult to believe that Bonnie is able to singlehandedly completely rebuild and upgrade KITT after being nearly destroyed by the missile, in just a few days, and in a moving semi. Do they carry a complete replacement body part kit for Kitt in the semi? Have the technicians at Knight Industries been working on the upgrade all this time, and Bonnie uses this opportunity to install the new dash, single monitor, and new electronics? By herself? How did she manage to get the new Kitt parts so fast, in a moving semi? AND, everything worked the first time, without any real test (Bonnie gets kidnapped).

Please don't get me wrong, I love KR. After all these years, I still think it's fabulous. Although I love watching these old shows, it is too bad that we will never see any later seasons than what is shown on Sci Fi, excluding the later movies. KR2000 was OK, though.

I often wonder why FLAG only has one agent and one vehicle. Seems to me they would employ a fleet of modified TransAms and agents wearing hair helmets and shirts buttoned to the middle of their hairy chests.

Do you suppose Michael enjoys what he is doing? He was forced to totally abandon his past. He can never see any member of his family, and pretty much only socializes with Devon, Kitt and April/Bonnie. He seems to get lucky every now and then, but he also seems to gawk more at pretty ladies than actually wine and dine them.

On another note, some discussion was made regarding whether people liked SPM. I personally thought it was pretty cool, all those things popping out of Kitt, that I thought made a cool car look even cooler. I wonder now what it would have looked like seeing it all pop out at once, kind of like a jack-in-the-box in a car, I suppose.

allen

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:54 pm

Hello

For starters, yes, the mobile unit is a completely outfitted repair unit for KITT, they have the parts stored within the place, and if they don't, they pick them up. That's the whole idea. Besides, KITT wasn't nearly destroyed, he was severely damaged. He was even partially operable up the ramp. When he is close to destroyed, they do put in at a garage, as is seen in the episodes "Junk Yard Dog" and "Knight of the Juggernaut." Bonnie is KITT's technician, capable of putting most damaged parts back together again in short amounts of time. It's not all that far fetch. Bonnie is relatively great at her job, and she most likely ran simulations before installing things into KITT.

What do you mean by not seeing later seasons? Knight Rider only had four seasons, and all have been shown on Sci Fi. The only thing that hasn't been shown on Sci Fi is the one season of TKR, which was a completely different series with few references back to the original.

I am guessing that you never caught on to the whole idea of the series: One man making a difference. It was the motto that was pretty much hammered into us throughout. The whole basis was Wilton's dream that one man and one car could do the job of an entire force. This entire concept was flushed later on with Team Knight Rider, and was theorized to be one of the many reasons why it didn't go far, because it just didn't stick with the ideals of the original.

It was pretty much speculated that Michael was for the most part, a loner, except for his fiancee which came in later episodes. It wasn't a matter of enjoying it, it was a matter of necessity. His old life would have most likely gotten him killed in a rather final way. I don't think it is very true that he only socializes with Devon, KITT, April/Bonnie (and RCIII) he is known pretty much as a ladies man, who spent a lot of time getting around. He doesn't just gawk or get lucky, they just didn't feel like showing all of it, they just mentioned it.

You might want to watch it a few more times before nitpicking it. :) As you can see, some things can be answered by the slightly hidden nuances that are within the show. ;)

KI

youngblood
Volunteer

Post by youngblood » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:19 pm

Michael was getting action all over the place. We just werent allowed to see it. It wasnt politically correct back then and censors would have killed the show. He would have looked 'trashy'. Thats why he and the girl would kiss and then say Ill keep in touch for sure, or a taste of things to come. Every since 'Good Day At White Rock' he was getting plenty of action.
The women loved the challenge of him being a loner, and instinctively wanted to give all to him for he was a hero... a crusader... a true knight.
The show kept that chivalry to it as existed with real knights. They got plenty of action, but didnt talk about it. Bonnie had to have help fixing KITT. I mean she would have no time since she was getting it on with Michael in the back room of the semi. Heh heh

Allen
Volunteer

Newbie followup

Post by Allen » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:26 pm

Hello!
Thanks for the reply. I have to admit that I have not seen all episodes of KR since the early 80s, and I was able to catch a few on USA in the early 90s. But until only recently have I been able to actually sit down and watch KR closely.

I had forgotten about what Wilton Knight had said about "one man can make a difference." And you are right, Michael has a better chance of survival as Michael Knight than as Michael Long, the policeman.

Michael is a loner, but I often wonder if he is lonely. However, when he was undercover as the rock singer, he was ready to leave FLAG for the girl at the end of the episode.

I really can't help to nitpick the episodes, but I try to do so in a realistic way, not just "how can they do that," and "that's impossible!" sorts of comments. I have tried to follow the examples of nitpicks that I have read throughout the boards.

This is a fine community, most of the posts have been intelligent and thoughtful, and I respect and appreciate that. I hope to be a welcomed part of it.

allen

Allen
Volunteer

One more thing

Post by Allen » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm

Almost forgot the other point I wanted to make regarding my "later seasons" comment. I meant that KR only lasted four seasons, and when we watch KR now, this is all we will ever see: the four seasons. We'll never get to see new episodes of KR (from a pretend season 5 and beyond), we only have the four seasons. It's just too bad, I think. KR exists now as a nostalgia TV show still enjoyed by millions, but we'll never see the original Michael and the original KITT and the original Devon in anything past season 4. Again, not including KR2000.

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:36 pm

youngblood wrote:Bonnie had to have help fixing KITT. I mean she would have no time since she was getting it on with Michael in the back room of the semi. Heh heh

Lol, so the not caring about him was just a cover up? :lol:

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:52 pm

no it is because she did wont any one to thank she would fall for any guy like micheal.lol joking :lol:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:31 pm

I always thought she was getting it on with Kitt. :shock:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;