buying is illegal?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

alcoholica_316
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

buying is illegal?

Post by alcoholica_316 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:17 pm

since when is buying the episodes illegal? columbia house sold them? i bought the first season of CSI from best buy...they have the series up on ebay all the time. if it were illegal, i'm sure ebay would take them off.
so what's the deal with discontinuing my search for the series?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:00 pm

I'll help Neil out here, since I have the speel down to a science.

Offering the episodes is illegal, wanting to buy them is encouraging the copying.

Columbia House is officially licensed by Universal Studios to re-sell them.

The first season of CSI was officially released by the production company to be bought at Best Buy.

The entire series up on ebay are illegal copies, and watch carefully, several of them have been taken down, especially when ebay gets word of them, otherwise, they are policing all the other areas, and don't really have time to monitor them, but several times, several sellers have had their auctions and in some cases, their selling names pulled because of it. Just because it is on ebay doesn't mean it is totally legit.

Neil didn't discontinue your search for the series, there are several trading outlets out there, (Mike at teamknightrider.com used to host a trading list, that I remember.) that you are free to look up and use, but Neil just doesn't want the board to get in trouble for supporting illegal activity, since KRO has had visits from Universal.

Presently, the entire series is not available from official sources, but there are still many outlets open to you. Maybe you can find somebody willing to trade, which is why Neil only locked the thread, rather than deleting it completely, with the hopes that maybe you and somebody else can work it out. Maybe you can get somebody to get them off Sci-Fi for you if you don't have it. Don't have hard feelings, the search for your episodes has come to a complete end.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:05 pm

Buying is illegal when your buying tapes from someone who has just recorded the episodes off the TV. It is piracy in this form. The studio never sees a cut of the transaction in this case.

The Columbia house tapes/DVDs and CSI episodes you mention are officially licenses by their respective studios. Everyone gets a cut in this case.

Neil had to discontinue your thread probably because it would draw too much unwanted attention to this community for the piracy purposes mentioned above.

The only official way as of now to get the episodes is through Columbia house like you said.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:07 pm

D'oh, KI, ya beat me to it!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:43 am

There are actually a lot of subtle copyright laws which even the big studio lawyers can't figure out. You can buy a poster, which is a copyrighted image, and then resell it as used at a garage sale and there is nothing wrong with that. Similarly, if you wanted to sell your used videotapes at a garage sale, you'd be OK. You could legally re-sell your original Columbia House videotapes at a garage sale, over e-bay, or through an email contact. However, if you mail the videotape across state or country lines, a bunch of other laws MAY come into play, which is one of the reasons why e-bay really needs to protect themselves and play it extra safe.

Making copies of Columbia House tapes and reselling them can be a problem. Taping broadcasts and selling them can be a problem, which is what knightimmortal ecplained so well. Adding to what she said, I think the reason Neil closes down these discussion is not so much that there is never a legitimate way to get used Knight Rider tapes, but that the discussions have the potential to get into dangerous areas. As soon as someone says "I'm looking for tapes", it invites people to come back saying "I'll make copies I can sell to you." That would be bad. Better safe than sorry.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

alcoholica_316
Volunteer

Post by alcoholica_316 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:31 pm

thank you so much for the informative replies. i had no idea about the "laws" of it. now it all makes sense.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:34 pm

knightimmortal wrote:I'll help Neil out here, since I have the speel down to a science...The first season of CSI....
KI
Ahem, firstly, ain't it "spiel" - to be pronounced in a German accent, and probably comes from spiele or something like that, and means 'play' as in "Ich spiele gern Fußball", meaning I like to play football (soccer to everyone else not in the UK).

And secondly, ain't CSI just a wickey series? 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:17 pm

Would you like for me to pull all the spelling mistakes and problems from your posts? Last time I checked, I make one every once and a while, just like you and normal humans. I don't make entire posts out of them like some people. Or am I the only one who gets this honor, because it is me?

KI

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:14 pm

Knight2000 wrote:
knightimmortal wrote:I'll help Neil out here, since I have the speel down to a science...The first season of CSI....
KI
Ahem, firstly, ain't it "spiel" -

If you want to be technical the word ain't is bad english, it is not a contraction and you should have said

"Ahem, firstly it is not 'spiel'"

If you want to point out others mistakes, be prepared to make sure you're using correct grammar first.

K.I.T.T. only used ain't when he was sick (reference Killer K.I.T.T.)

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:08 pm

Here you a question if one of you friends what to have a copies of knight rider and they buy the tapes to record it then can you recoded the show for them. Give them the recorded shows to them?

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:26 pm

.....Is anyone supposed to understand that?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:30 pm

yeah i understood that.

what she/he was asking if someone had asked a friend to tape the eps for them as a favour and then give them the tapes?

According to our UK laws, we gotta buy a tv licence. This allows us to record anything broadcasted not to mention a certain tight channel that thinks they got the right to charge for their own channel, when you can't even turn it off, so you have to have it.

But I should imagine that the answer to nivek's question would be yes.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:08 pm

ok that is good to know but that does not help here in the USA

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:03 am

Ever heard the one about the Girl Scout Troop who were singing classic camp fire songs, when the big, bad lawyer comes along and places a lawsuit on them for public use of copyrighted song material?

It's pretty poor when the only episodes you are suppose to be able to own are the ones Universal allows you to own...and it's not even a complete set.

Woodstock had a set of rules that everyone could remember.

Woodstock II had a rule book that could crush bugs!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am

Maybe old Bill Shakespeare was right, huh :D

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:07 am

knightvision wrote:
Knight2000 wrote:
KI
Ahem, firstly, ain't it "spiel" -

If you want to be technical the word ain't is bad english, it is not a contraction and you should have said

"Ahem, firstly it is not 'spiel'"

If you want to point out others mistakes, be prepared to make sure you're using correct grammar first.

K.I.T.T. only used ain't when he was sick (reference Killer K.I.T.T.)

Lol! I actually used "ain't" deliberately....kinda like tongue-in-cheek. :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:12 am

Well perhaps we should all spend less time correcting each others grammar or spelling mistakes, and just have some good healthy conversation. None of us is perfect, and we are all guaranteed to slip up at some point.

Tony ONeill
Volunteer

Post by Tony ONeill » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:11 am

Am I right in thinking that columbia are releasing the whole 4 series on dvd, but i heard you had to sign up for them monthly

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:49 pm

They aren't exactly releasing the whole series yet, they are releasing them in 'spurts', you do have to sign up with them, though, and the DVD's are slightly expensive.

Universal Playback was also releasing them for the UK, but they are also doing the 'spurt' thing.

As of the present, there is no singular source for all of the episodes on Video or DVD.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:45 pm

I no longer think UP are doing the "spurt" thing anymore. I just believe they've completely stopped producing KR VHS/dvd's.

I keep checking up at blackstar to see if there are any planned releases but unfortunately not.

Oh well, good things come to an end.

If they ever do release another, I'll be very very surprised!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

forenzikz
Stranger

re: buying is illegal?

Post by forenzikz » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:36 pm

:evil: I myself am looking for episode 40 (2 part I think) which starred Joanna Pettet. Since everything is illegal nowadays I guess I have no hopes of finding it

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:49 pm

I am guessing that it all depends on where you are from. There are still stations that run Knight Rider around the globe, it's just a matter of using your knowledge on how to get the copy that you want. This and the other boards are not the end all of how to obtain KR episodes, it was just an easy way to try to get them.

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:29 pm

if you get scifi just record it when it comes on.