Why Was KITT Constructed?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Industries 3000
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why Was KITT Constructed?

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:48 am

KARR was constructed, and when his programming was found to be out of whack, he was abandoned, and then KITT was constructed as an entirely new car. Why? During the TV show, we saw KITT's CPU separated from its car more than once. When KARR's programming was found to be goofy, why didn't the Foundation simply remove KARR's CPU from its car, and then install a new one -- KITT's?

(The dramatic answer, of course, is that KARR's CPU by itself wouldn't be as interesting a foe as a duplicate of KITT -- CPU and car. All KITT would have had to do to defeat KARR's CPU is drive over it! :D)

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:32 am

Well, all I can say to this is Devon mentioned that Wilton was supposed to have KARR dismantled immediately after he was found flawed. The foundation, began work on a new prototype believing the knowledge that KARR was recycled. Besides, a second prototype is usually better than the original model. The original was most likely thrown together and contained mistakes (as we saw). They were able to redo the car from scratch and tend the the previous mistakes during the new construction.

But we all know is KARR was just added in for a story line and when the show was originally developed, KITT was a one of a kind car.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:51 am

Mabe K.A.R.Rs' programing would try to stay in outher circuits to save himself. dismantling him for spare body parts or seats and the like.They were in a rush to get the car done before Wilton Knight died.
Just a thought. :?

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:13 am

SPEEDBREAKER wrote:Mabe K.A.R.Rs' programing would try to stay in outher circuits to save himself. dismantling him for spare body parts or seats and the like.They were in a rush to get the car done before Wilton Knight died.
Just a thought. :?
Supposedly when they were demoing KARR on the FLAG test track, KARR failed a critical checkpoint. A robotic figure designed to appear to be a small child wandered into KARR's path and instead of attempting to avoid collision he simply smashed right through it, no doubt to the horror of the onlooking crowd. When questioned why he didn't avoid it, he stated that it posed no threat to himself, thus exposing the "Flaw" in his programming.

So how would KARR have allowed himself to be deactivated by FLAG to begin with? Interesting point, no?

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:27 am

They could have given K.A.R.R. a limited run time like on demo soft where.
Limited fuel and batteries could also be an option. :?

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:51 am

I always thought that KARR had slightly less sophisticated programming than KITT anyway. If the main CPU program was not acceptable, they would natually want to write a new one - and then the engineers probably thought they could use that extra time to build a new (and better) car overall (more features, better handling etc).

That probably also explains the voicemod problem - the engineers thought it would take up less cpu space than KARR's if KITT's was a simple red box. Then as the months went on they would upgrade KITT back to the 3-bar type voicemod since memory capacity would increase and not take up as much as it did in KARR.

^ If that made any sense!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:35 am

As with any proto-type...they probably had a number of improvements and changes to make...so it was easier for them to either construct a second car, or maybe they had a couple of bodys they where trying different things on and used one of them.

It's very unsual for the proto-type of anything to be used as the final product becasue of the number of changes made to it during its testing stages....Karr and Kitt would be no different.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:54 am

As for how KARR became deactivated, I believe they had a remote control killswitch that they would only use in case of an emergency. When he was put into storage, so was the remote and it got lost and forgotten about.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:47 am

I'm thinking perhaps KARR shut himself down. Before he was deactivated KARR had no reason to not trust the Foundation. Perhaps they convinced him to shut down for some sort of maintanice, and KARR let down his defenses and never woke back up. Well until someone mistakenly activated him.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:23 am

Supposedly when they were demoing KARR on the FLAG test track, KARR failed a critical checkpoint. A robotic figure designed to appear to be a small child wandered into KARR's path and instead of attempting to avoid collision he simply smashed right through it, no doubt to the horror of the onlooking crowd. When questioned why he didn't avoid it, he stated that it posed no threat to himself, thus exposing the "Flaw" in his programming.
That would've been interesting to see KARR doing something totally unexpected and frightening on the test track, showing his basic programming for self preservation at all costs. Maybe something like that with KITT too, like in Lost Knight or Junk Yard Dog when KITT's circuits were damaged, broken and out of order computerized indestructible car would be really frightening when it's acting unexpectedly and dangerously :shock:

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:27 pm

CB2001 wrote:As for how KARR became deactivated, I believe they had a remote control killswitch that they would only use in case of an emergency. When he was put into storage, so was the remote and it got lost and forgotten about.
Then how come he was reactivated when Tony flipped a power switch (see Trust Doesn't Rust)? I realize it was a plot device, but I'm just wondering and all.

Perhaps KARR really is magical because at the end of KITT vs KARR we see his CPU still functioning in the desert, and maybe if there had been a season 5...
:karr:

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:43 pm

ok lets just say that karr was constructed first will thin frist thing first the first i can thank that they would of made kitt is they forgot to put the porgram that makes the car protect human live and they said i think in trust does not rust that he could not take the program with how they made him so that is when they shut him down annd made the that evey one likes kitt

i hope this helps!

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:44 pm

ok lets just say that karr was constructed first will thin frist thing first the first i can thank that they would of made kitt is they forgot to put the porgram that makes the car protect human live and they said i think in trust does not rust that he could not take the program with how they made him so that is when they shut him down annd made the that evey one likes kitt

i hope this helps!

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:49 pm

nivek wrote:ok lets just say that karr was constructed first will thin frist thing first the first i can thank that they would of made kitt is they forgot to put the porgram that makes the car protect human live and they said i think in trust does not rust that he could not take the program with how they made him so that is when they shut him down annd made the that evey one likes kitt

i hope this helps!
What would help us all is the use of spell checker and some punctuation. I didn't get one bit of that run on sentence.... Please do everyone the favor of checking your posts before you shoot them our way. Thanks

EDIT: Well, I just ran your (and my) post through the spell checker here and it DIDN"T find anything wrong. NICE spell checker we have here.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

KalEl
Volunteer

Post by KalEl » Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:14 pm

What I could never understand was why K.A.R.R. was never just reprogrammed. If the computer programmers had told K.A.R.R. they needed to reprogram some of his cuircuts, he would have just complied as a good operative of FLAG. There would have been no problems and he wouldn't have gone berzerk. K.A.R.R. knew he was a prototype, and as a prototype, he knew that he would always need improvements and upgrades. I don't see why those upgrades weren't done then.
Of course the real reason was that the writers/producers loved the idea of having K.I.T.T.'s evil twin, so they needed a good back story for the episode.
I know Knight Rider is fiction but if I were to place myself into that fictional world for just a second and make it a real non-fiction world, I really don't think Wilton would have ordered its total destruction. Not considering that the car probably cost several hundered million dollars to make. Why not just remove K.A.R.R.'s cpu and convert the car back into a Trans-Am or use parts of him in K.I.T.T.?

p.s. I can't ever seem to get the spell check to work. Am I doing something wrong? I've even intentionaly mispelled words to no avail.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:58 pm

you and me both

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:32 pm

Who's ever seen the original episodes of Power Rangers. The episodes were horribly predictable. After the good guys would start winning, the monster would get real big and they would bring out those big robots (Zords, was it?). Well, why didn't the rangers just bring out the Zords and smash the monster BEFORE he got bigger.
Same type of question, with the same type of answer-more topics :D
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:04 am

i hope this helps!
You really need to take more time with your replies dude!!

I can't understand a single damn thing your say with all your screwed up spelling and gramma.

Just slow down and proof read before you post....PLEASE!
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:20 am

KalEl wrote:What I could never understand was why K.A.R.R. was never just reprogrammed. If the computer programmers had told K.A.R.R. they needed to reprogram some of his cuircuts, he would have just complied as a good operative of FLAG. There would have been no problems and he wouldn't have gone berzerk. K.A.R.R. knew he was a prototype, and as a prototype, he knew that he would always need improvements and upgrades. I don't see why those upgrades weren't done then.
My thinking is that it could have been a combination of two things: one, KARR did something dangerous or potentially life-threatening, and two, Wilton Knight was in a rush. Rather than sit down with KARR's CPU and think why the prototype was so badly wrong, he simply put the whole thing in mothballs and started again. There's an interesting plot development in 'Goliath Returns' where Kitt tells a visiting professor that he was once part of a government mainframe, but found it 'too stuffy', and much prefers working with the Foundation. If Kitt was not entirely developed from scratch at the Foundation, as KARR was, then maybe Wilton thought his Version 2.0 would work better with outside components? That would explain why KARR was left intact, but powered down - perhaps Wilton thought he would get back to KARR at some point, and didn't have the heart to dismantle him :cry:
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:19 pm

Darendor- Whats not to say that there was a manuel on/off switch in KARR? KARR's switch could be like a TV, which could be done by either manuel or with remote.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:18 pm

cloudkitt wrote:Who's ever seen the original episodes of Power Rangers. The episodes were horribly predictable. After the good guys would start winning, the monster would get real big and they would bring out those big robots (Zords, was it?). Well, why didn't the rangers just bring out the Zords and smash the monster BEFORE he got bigger.
Same type of question, with the same type of answer-more topics :D
Ever watched Rocky II? Part of Rocky's training was to catch a chicken. Obviously he couldn't do it at first, but over time he managed. The little monster would have been too small for the Zords or the MegaZord, and they'd probably end up trashing up the city, without having caught the damn monster.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:01 pm

I will say i saw evey one of them. when they first cam out i thought they were cool but i stop waching them in the 7th grade.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:03 pm

and the remote just happens to be on the wall.