how did kitt stop in the trailer of the truck?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

which car do you like the best kitt or karr

Poll ended at Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:41 pm

kitt
86%
Karr
14%

Total votes: 14

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:20 pm

lol yep it sure would! :)

The trip wire isn't a bad idea though...would make for some kewl scenes too.... have Kitt roar up the ramp and jolt to a stop in the semi.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:41 pm

FOR SOME REASON i DON'T THANK KITT WOULD LIKE THAT IDEA.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:42 am

Um, two things.

1) Why does the poll have nothing to do with the topic question?

2) Just a handy little note. All caps is generally considered rude, because you are screaming.

On the note of the actual topic: It's too bad that our old debate on this concept didn't make it to this incarnation of the board. I think that between Mike, myself and Darknight, we had it pretty well explained. (Or driven to an unholy death, not too sure which.)

KI
(just cruisin by)

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:19 am

I did not know that but thanks

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:21 am

This problem is all about inertial frames of reference*

There are two frames of reference.

frame 1) The road
frame 2) Inside the Semi

Suppose kitt is travelling at 50 mph in frame 2. Relative to frame 1, frame 2 is stationary. Therefore, relative to frame 1 kitt is travelling at 50 mph. However if frame 2 begins moving at 50 mph relative to frame 1, kitt is travelling at 100mph relative to frame 1.

The energy consumed to accelerate frame 1 to 50mph (during which it ceases to be an inertial frame of reference) is dependent only upon the mass of the semi and kitt (assuming constant friction coefficients and constant gravity), however this energy is consumed by frame 2 not by kitt!

Therefore:
The situation you describe would require a force that can accelerate a 3000 lb object from 57 mph to 112 mph in under a second. KITT's fictional rocket boosters might be able to do that, but it's not going to happen in the real world.
is a false statement

*An inertial frame of reference constant velocity. It cannot be accelerating

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:29 am

Sorry Transparent, but you're mistaken. The situation you describe only works if the Semi were maybe a half mile long, and KITT was able to bring himself up to 50 mph WITHIN THE SEMI. It that case, his speed relative to the ground would be the 50mph of the Semi plus 50mph within the Semi = 100 mph.

Sometimes it's easier to think of what happens when KITT backs out of the Semi instead. What you're suggesting is that once KITT left the ramp, he would be sitting on the road basically stopped, and the energy required to stop him would be absorbed by the Semi, which would quickly accelerate now that it was carrying less mass.

But that isn't what happens at all. If you had a skateboard in your car and let it go at 50 mph, it would continue along the road at 50 mph. It maintains its same forward momentum, regardless of the frame of reference. The same thing happens with KITT driving in or out of the Semi.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:55 pm

well, with that skateboard thing um you would have to make sure you do it the same way as kitt, and I think you might be sure shocked in what happen. it will not be going 50 mph when it leaves the ramp it will be going the little slower then then the speed it was going on the ramp. yes the ramp is going 50 mph one why but you are back out so you are going another why so you wheels are spinning so the wheels will keep spinning the same way as what they where when they left the ramp. so in return you are only going the speed that you going down the ramp minis some.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:04 pm

Rather than having 2 virtually identical threads about the Semi going, I suggest we make any additional comments in the other, newer thread here:

"How did kitt get inside the semi?"
http://www.knightrideronline.com/phpbb/ ... php?t=2848
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com