Knight Registries

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Would you visit a site similar to Knight Registries if it was better maintained and had more valuable and up to date information?

Yes. I would find that very helpful and would visit the site.
87%
No. I don't need any help building my conversion and I'm tired of conversion sites.
7%
Screw you! Who do you think you are for trying to replace Knight Registries.
7%

Total votes: 15

knight_driver
Volunteer

Knight Registries

Post by knight_driver » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:14 am

I know a lot of people are turned off by the Knight Registries. The site is a pretty good idea but lately the implementation is not quite right. The message board is full of constant bickering. The site is never updated. The information is never updated and is really getting outdated.

Would any of you replica owners be interested in a new web site with a better message board, more "how to" articles, more frequent updates, and a web master that would actually answer emails and take submissions?

I've been thinking about starting something for a while now. I don't really want to take anything away from any of the other sites. I just want some place where people can go to share information without all the hassle. If a few people are interested then I'll put something together but if no one cares I'm just going to make a personal site about my conversion.

Knight Registries and Knight Replicas have both become kinda stagnant. I just want to give something of value to the Kitt replica community for those that are looking for a better alternative.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:18 am

All they need to do is take stuff to darn email! PERIOD

K.I.T.T

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:20 am

Please be careful with this thread, this isn't the place to bash other Knight Rider websites.

knight_driver
Volunteer

Post by knight_driver » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:29 am

I wasn't intending to bash anyone. I even said that I would like to supplement what the community already has. I've done no bashing. I've only stated facts. The webmasters of both sites have left the sites on autopilot. They don't answer emails. They never update the sites. People have even complained that they've registered on those sites and have had to wait sometimes for months to get their accounts activated. I just wanted to see if anyone was interested in a site that would be updated and maintained. If no one is interested then I'll pursue other ventures. If people are interested I'll put something together and try to give something of value to the replica community.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:34 am

I wasn't saying that you were bashing, just saying be careful so that it doesn't turn to bashing. Feel free to continue with an intelligent discussion

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:37 am

End of the day people go to forums like that to get information and help...the question to be asked is are they getting it? So yeah the poll is a good idea.....personally i dont think people are getting info....

K.I.T.T

PeterW
Stranger

Post by PeterW » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:40 pm

To be honest, as someone who is building a conversion, Knight Registries really doesn't offer anything to me at all. I tend to ask technical trans am questions on thirdgen.org and conversion related questions on the KOE forum.

If you could come up with a site that had a sane and knowledgeable forum, with a regularly updated 'registry' and plenty of 'how to' features (instead of relying on the standard registries answer of 'buy from Mark or Don' whenever you have a conversion question), then you could have something new and useful. It would require quite regular maintenance to keep fresh though, along with fairly brave moderation to keep certain poorly informed, but aggressive posters in line on the forum (I'll be honest - the Registries forum is the only one where I see regular aggressive posts, so you might not have a problem - this was only a tv show about a talking car afterall :D ).

Good luck - it might work, but in many ways, if you're starting a conversion, most of the information is already available - just not all in one place. Finding the info isn't hard.

I hope this post isn't too 'anti' any other site. It isn't intended to be - just my observations for what they're worth

knight_driver
Volunteer

Post by knight_driver » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 pm

Thanks you Neps. You seem to be a very sensible administrator. I'll try to keep thing from getting out of hand. I really don't want to discuss problems that other sites may or may not have. I just want to see if people would like and support another alternative.

alcoholica_316
Volunteer

Post by alcoholica_316 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:48 pm

when i first started building my replica, the registries was a good place for me. of course that was about 2+ years ago. not to bash, but the registries isn't cutting it for me anymore. that's why i came here. i still check it out ans post there, but this place has become a nicer place for me.

knight_driver
Volunteer

Post by knight_driver » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:10 pm

So 10 people are for it? What do you guys think it should be called? I was going to call it KnightDrivers.com but I found out that there is already a KnightDriver.com and don't want to look like I'm stealing the guys name and domain.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:32 pm

Ohhhh Boy........ Stealing my name would be a very bad thing

Very....VERY BAD! LOL :evil:

I am sure many people would complain about someone trying to replace the Registries but they also complain about how the Registries is run, or lack there of........ knight Replica's tried it and their forum is a bit slow, to say the least.

I would say create a nice personal page for yourself and ad a small message board there and see if it takes off at all. and, a word of warning..... Don't steal anyones content off their sites. We have gone through this in the past. No one takes this lightly.....

Good luck with everything....

The Original Knightdriver - http://www.knightdriver.com

knight_driver
Volunteer

Post by knight_driver » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:39 pm

I've seen very little original content worth stealing. I'm a graphic designer and don't need to steal anyone's stuff. Besides I would be very ticked off if someone stole my original content.

If anyone is interested in my past endeavors you can check out my current web site. http://www.macfleet.com . Its a site dedicated to a gaming clan that I formed.

So any ideas for a name?

PeterW
Stranger

Post by PeterW » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:46 pm

One thing to think about - is a forum for your new site really necessary at all? Knight registries didn't have one for a long time and when it was being regularly maintained, it was a great site even without it. Although the Knight Registries forum is the one part of the site that is constantly changing, it doesn't actually add any real 'value' to the web site imho - just a handful of people slinging insults. If you forget about a forum and have lots of 'how to' articles and maybe a regularly updated registry page, then that would make for quite a nice site.

There are already lots of good kr forums - no point trying to compete with them. There is however, a lack of a well maintained, dynamic 'registry' type site with good information and regular updates.

Good luck - whatever you decide :)

knight_driver
Volunteer

Post by knight_driver » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:59 pm

Well I think the forum is a very important part of a site like that. Its a place where people can go to ask questions that other people may not have thought to ask.

The problem with that one is that its not maintained. Its on autopilot and its a free for all. They feel that if they moderate it their taking someone right to free speech away. That site belongs to one person. Its like coming to his home. If he doesn't want certain things said then he has the right as owner of that site to delete it and ban users that continue to misbehave.

There are many helpful people on that forum. The problem is there are 3 or 4 trouble makers that make it a full time hobby to flame everyone. If those people were banned or at least persuaded to stop their flame wars you would actually see some valuable content. Check out the forum that is on my current site. We have very few flame wars and you have to take into account that we have rival teams coming onto our forum. If we can keep that forum clean with our team and people from other teams I think I can maintain users from just one site.

I can get a cheap domain and I can also host the site for free so there is no risk involved. If people like the site I'll keep spending my time to update it. If people don't I'll turn it into my own little personal page about my KITT and take down the rest.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:39 pm

I'd love to make, or even simply have a replica, but I'd want to drive mine, not just take it to conventions. But I have a few problems...

Can't drive yet
Don't have a Trans Am
Don't have enough money for ...well...a Trans Am, let alone parts.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

subzero
Stranger

Post by subzero » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:23 am

I say go for it!

It's my intention to build a right hand drive replica (since I'm in the UK) of KARR and the sites available don't offer that much anymore. I'd love one site where I could come for inspiration, ideas, answers to my questions, etc - No where like that is around anymore, not that I know off anyway...

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:10 am

right hand drive!!! wow!! man has that been done before? Though arnt T/A's in astraila right hand drive?????

K.I.T.T

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:10 am

Markscustomkits sells right hand drive 2 tv dashes and related accesories. So I guess people have wanted them before now.. You just can't get those items if you live in the states.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:23 am

Somethuing i thought was kind of strange. Last November when i was in England, I saw a 2001 Firebird parked somewhere. It was the left-hand american version. I thought that was wierd...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:22 am

knightdriver wrote:Markscustomkits sells right hand drive 2 tv dashes and related accesories. So I guess people have wanted them before now.. You just can't get those items if you live in the states.
Do you mean if you DON'T live in the states? I'd love to build the first KITT replica in Australia, seeing as so far I have found no record of there even being one. I can see myself building my OWN parts, though. The exchange rate is just plain criminal.
:kitt2: :dash:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:26 pm

Meaning, Mark WONT sell you right hand drive parts if you live in the US. he is affraid someone wouold copy them and sell them at a reasonable price. LOL. Just kidding. He is the only one selling the right hand drive stuff and most likely wants to make sure it stays that way. Can you blame him.
Brian - Knightdriver.com