Your thoughts on Moderation - Opinoins only please

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Trekie386
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Your thoughts on Moderation - Opinoins only please

Post by Trekie386 » Wed May 21, 2003 3:57 pm

Alright I know i'm going to be shot down for this, but seeing how we are unmoderated now, I thought I might as well.

This is America, well at least the part I'm in is, so why not hold a democratic vote??

How many of you WANT a mod here on the Knight Boards?

How many of you DO NOT want to be moderated??

Just a show of hands please. I don't want people attacking other people's choices. I would have set up a poll, but frankly I don't have a clue how to or who to ask.

Here's my vote.

I WANT mods to watch over the place. Like I've posted before, I go to boards where there is NO Moderation and it's like all heck breaks loose on a daily basis. I feel safer knowing there is someone to keep the posts clean and on topic. I tend to stay away from unmoderated places as people are generally free to attack each other without warnings to hold them in check. Or the posts tend to drop so far off topic, you forget why you even went to that board.

I LIKE to know there will be someone around to answer my questions if I have problems with the board, or to pass on my problems if they can't. I know site administration can be hard and time consuming.

There's my vote. What's yours? Does the majority want a MOD or not?

If you DO please answer by saying YEA.
Those that DON'T say- NO.

Give a brief comment if you want but please don't attack someone for their choice. Remember we are on our best behavior now.

~ Beth C

Cuda426440
Recruit

Post by Cuda426440 » Wed May 21, 2003 4:07 pm

YEA

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Wed May 21, 2003 4:11 pm

Absolutely YES! Like you I've been around different boards. Some with mods and some without. The ones without mods were completely vulgar and crude at times and the ones with mods were total opposites, people were polite and helpful and friendly. I've only been here a little over a year and seen some real yo yos but moderation always stepped in and took care of things real well.

Cheri

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed May 21, 2003 4:31 pm

The unmodded boards out there I've seen were not just crazy they were positively insane. Although KI and I had one or two clashes over some issues, I feel her being here has made the board a better place. Over the years I've learned to accept different styles of leadership, and it just takes some time to acclimate to hers. Arguments are a part of life and cannot be avoided and will always have a place in some form or another on this board. I would hate to see the board, however, fall into the state of decay some other boards out there exist in. This board needs guidance. It is my belief that the moderators are the backbone off all message boards, like 'em or not. They are here to maintain the discipline and integrity of the board. I say yea!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Wed May 21, 2003 5:07 pm

I think Moderators are good things to have around. I mean I sometimes didn't like when threads were locked, but I understood the reasoning behind it. I think moderators should be kept around....

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed May 21, 2003 5:08 pm

My Answer: It Depends

It depends on who's moderating and how they moderate. Mods like KI work effectively to ensure what's best for the board, while someone else may go power hungry and just ruin the experience for everyone. The balance between power and responsibility has to be there.

I don't feel there is a real yes or no answer to this.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 21, 2003 5:32 pm

Should this board be moderated? Absolutely. And I will still be here to make sure posts stay on-topic and clean, and I hope each of you will help keep our board a friendly place to visit.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Wed May 21, 2003 11:44 pm

Neil won't take much garbage on his board. That's why he put the moderators in to begin with. Well, guess what? There was a huge outcry against them at first, and continuing until the present. It didn't happen that much visibly on the board(people were too afraid), but it did happen.

The board members as a whole were far happier before moderation. As soon as one member gets in a position that others might perceive as "higher" than another, it inevitably leads to problems. Neil is the owner, and it makes a lot simpler when his word is the deciding factor, rather than haggling with moderators.

Neil is not trying to hurt anyone. He's doing what he feels is best for the community, and in time the community will thank him.

Corby

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri May 23, 2003 12:15 am

I can't say for sure to either a yea or a no.

I've ALWAYS been anti-moderation. And, I consider it an evil. But, a necessary evil. (Then again, I reguard anti-virus software in much the same light.) After all, if this were a perfect world, then there would be no need for controlling agents of any sort. This...is not a perfect world. And, it requires not a perfect answer. While I have bitten KI's head off a few times over various issues, I also feel that she has indeed kept a powerful and justful balance over the position that she was assigned to.

Though, KI has been, on regular occasions, far more agressive on holding to board policy than I have ever observed Neil doing, (On some occasions, I have totally dis-agreeded with the decisions made.) I would still like to see her retain the status of "Mother hen" to this community over this problem that we are currently experiencing.

...It really stinks to want to keep cake and eat it at the same time. :/

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri May 23, 2003 7:45 am

The board members as a whole were far happier before moderation. As soon as one member gets in a position that others might perceive as "higher" than another, it inevitably leads to problems. Neil is the owner, and it makes a lot simpler when his word is the deciding factor, rather than haggling with moderators.
Neil can't be here 24/7...hence the need to have people to help him and also allow him a little "sanity time" or even sick leave etc.... this is where modirators are needed.

We can all do a lot to help keep this board on topic and happy.... but the simple truth is that we are all prone to human failures and need to be guided sometimes... and hence we need modirators.

I love this board and love being able to chat about Knight Rider . Its my all time favorate show....

I'd hate to see the board loose its way by becoming unmodirated.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat May 24, 2003 2:29 pm

You are right Neil cant be here 24/7, but could anybody else be???? Back when there was 3 mods here there were times when neither were online, but did the place fall apart?

Now Neil has allot more time now he can give the board a better over look himself. So does this board need mod-ing ? Yeah sure it does, every forum out there needs some sort of moderator, and im sure Neil will do his best at it!

K.I.T.T

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat May 24, 2003 11:07 pm

So does this board need mod-ing ? Yeah sure it does, every forum out there needs some sort of moderator, and im sure Neil will do his best at it!
I'm sure he will do a great job.... my point was simply that it wouldn't hurt to have mayby a couple of others who can cover for him in times of ill health....personal needs... alcahol induced commas...stuff like that :lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun May 25, 2003 9:58 am

True, true. But i think everyone here has got the power to see that somethings going out of control and have the ability to not add to it?

K.I.T.T