KITT's engine sound: I want it!

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT's engine sound: I want it!

Post by aussieknight » Thu May 01, 2003 11:43 pm

After watching Just My Bill, I just had to record KITT's engine sounds on my PC as he moves himself from one car park spot to another. The turbine's whine is just music to the ears! And it even changes from idling to slow driving. Man, I want my car to do that badly! It's not a T/A, but I reckon that sound coming from it would really turn heads. Anyone got any suggestions that don't cost the earth?
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri May 02, 2003 11:50 pm

A few ideas here.

1. Get a turbine engine.
2. Since a turbine engine might slightly exceed your budget in reality, get a gear driven centrifugal supercharger.
3. Since a centrifugal supercharger is also quite expensive, get a leaf blower. Attach the leaf blower to the air intake, and wire it to correspond with the throttle by a throttle position sensor, variable resistance, and a
relay.

DK

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Sat May 03, 2003 12:05 am

Interesting u bring that up aussie,i was standing by the sidewalk the other day,in downtown and its a pretty busy street.and i was waiting for my bus,and i hear this sound down the road,steadily increasing and it was a steady whine just like KITT's engine and all i see is this honda and it drove right past me and it sounded just like KITT.unfortunately for the guy,i think he should go see a mechanic soon ,since it was a highly abnormal situation for his car to be making that noise lol still it was an interesting moment

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 03, 2003 2:13 am

I really like the normal sounding engine sounds that KITT makes in the show too, that low rumbling V8 sound, but I'm pretty sure they aren't coming from the on screen car, and probably not from an actual Trans Am either? Does anybody know?

SH

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Sat May 03, 2003 12:40 pm

yeah i think they do tend to make that sound at lower revs...
ive heard many a time...a firebird/camaro driving by,pausing at the intersection and the idling rumble they make is unmistakable

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat May 03, 2003 4:02 pm

A friend of mine who is currently creating an SPM KITT and will be putting the KITT whine turbine sound onto a chip to which he will control from within the car...I'm really too knowledgeable about how it works...but that aswell as the red neon and stuff....I will try to find out more..

Nick

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat May 03, 2003 4:24 pm

I wanna know more! That sounds totally wild!!

Cheri

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun May 04, 2003 5:07 am

On the Knightregistries board there's a guy who sells a little black box with a digital sample of a turbine that comes with a horn speaker for your replica. His web site, albeit down at the moment, is http://www.knight-conversions.com and he did have a video clip of his unit in a car driving past the camera. Sounded good to me. That's basically what I want. However, I'm afraid I want it to have startup, idle, high speed and shutdown. Not that I'm greedy, mind. But you can forget about me importing one from over there. No way at our dollar's value. :cry:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun May 04, 2003 1:30 pm

I was looking for turbine sounds from net and found this:
http://preview.audiolicense.net/sfx/mp3/S_386257.mp3

It's 1 min 57s soundfile and about 803kb, sounds pretty close to me for KITT's turbine whine.

-KITTfan-

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun May 04, 2003 2:34 pm

it said i don't have permission to download.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun May 04, 2003 3:27 pm

I have no idea why you can't download it, the link works perfectly to me. Try copy it and paste it to your browsers address line, maybe that helps.
Here's another link what might work, the sfx I mean is the last file (turbine steady):
http://www.audiolicense.net/sfx/sfx_sea ... ur_max=120

-KITTfan-

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun May 04, 2003 3:53 pm

Try right clicking the original link. Select 'Save Target As', and save it to your drive. Your cookies (darn them things!) or security certificates could be preventing direct access.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun May 04, 2003 4:17 pm

It tried to locate realplayer when i attempted to download again but i don't have the player installed. nevermind.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Mon May 05, 2003 6:01 am

It's be great to be able to modulate a sound sample like that to simulate the wind-up & wind-down of a turbine engine. I'm afraid it is presently beyond me, but I'm working on it! :-) As for the "running" sound though, it'd be hard to loop a sample without a pop or click I reckon. Any thoughts, anyone?

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Mon May 05, 2003 1:17 pm

aussieknight wrote:It's be great to be able to modulate a sound sample like that to simulate the wind-up & wind-down of a turbine engine. I'm afraid it is presently beyond me, but I'm working on it! :-) As for the "running" sound though, it'd be hard to loop a sample without a pop or click I reckon. Any thoughts, anyone?
thats not a big problem....people make these kinds of mods for games all the times.i know a few guys who can do that from their home computers.not too difficult at all. however long u want the length to be.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Mon May 05, 2003 6:53 pm

It's easy on a computer, but how do you do it with hardware? I want to build a circuit that can play these sounds through a loud speaker. I've considered a multi message event-triggered sound recorder/playback circuit I read about once, but can't find it now. You pre-record your samples and select the one you want, possible with something like a PICAXE chip, going by engine starting & running, engine revs above idle, and engine off trigger signals. At least, that's how I see it possibly happening.