Status of Knight Rider Game for PS2...???

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kincade Industries 2000
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Status of Knight Rider Game for PS2...???

Post by Kincade Industries 2000 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:23 pm

Hello all! I am a newbie and was curious about the upcoming Knight Rider game coming out for Playstation. I have been following the game's news religiously, but I have not been able to find ANY information regarding the PS2's version release except for the info provided in the faq section - that being Q1 2003. Well, it now almost May (Q2) and still no word...has the PS2 release been scratched or does someone with infinitely more Knight Rider knowledge have any addtional info that I may have missed???!!!

Any input would be more than appreciated! Thanks!

PS - Has a new schedule been released for Knight Radio? Thx.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:29 pm

Hi, welcome!

The PS2 version of the KR Game is still presently on hold. The PC version has already been released here in the states. I know that there are some threads around here explaining the whole deal with the PS2, but the short and sweet version is that it hasn't been released yet, while the PC version has.

As for Knight Radio. :oops: We have been under going some maintenance, so the new schedule should be posted here for next week by this weekend. We should also be introducing some new programming times for your listening pleasure, so stay tuned.

KI
(woman of many hats)

Kincade Industries 2000
Volunteer

Post by Kincade Industries 2000 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:36 pm

Thanks buddy! I guess we are all on the look out for it, eh? That time can't come fast enough!!! :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:57 pm

hey Kincade, welcome! As Knightimmortal said, the North American game is indeed in limbo. According to the distrubtor they are waiting for Sony NA to approve the game, and when and if that happens they will release it. That is also provided that they are making enough money of the PC version to warrant the added production cost.

Also being new to the board, just wanted to give you an FYI. We tend to frown on signatures with images on them, and if you need to use an image to have it as your avatar. We have alot of viewers with slow machines/connections and it doesn't play well with them. We'd appreciate it if you would remove the image from your sig.

Thanks!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu May 01, 2003 6:10 pm

The Davilex game sales in foriegn countries did horriable, the game is already in the clearance bin. There is no reaproving for NTCS versions of the game. If it was ok'd for a PAL release they most likely would have submitted it for a NTCS release as well, unless they are as stupid as they think they are. lol Ok that was mean. But why would they submit the "same" game twice to Sony for approval? It costs a nice buck or two for sony to take the time to even look at the game. I don't know to me its just common sense.

Either way if you check the davilex site we wont be seeing any more games from them anyway. I highly doubt you will "ever" see a US version of Knight Rider on PS2. Especially where sales sit. But of course I've been known to be wrong.

-msKEN
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu May 01, 2003 6:16 pm

On another note with a new movie coming out, (and considering xXx managed) we might see a video game for the new Knight Rider. Hopefully with any luck a good company that's pretty good with licensed characters (Activision: X-men, Spiderman, Tony Hawk, South Park, and many others) we might just see a great movie > game translation.

I may even consider submitting Knight Rider RPG as a portfolio project to Universal Interactive, maybe I'll get lucky and get paid to make the second official Knight Rider game. I can't screw it up any worse then Davilex did.

"There are two things I can't stand. Peoples lack of respect for others cultures.... and the Dutch." - Austin Powers 3

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu May 01, 2003 11:33 pm

I agree, the game has no future in the US :x . Maybe Davilex should have aimed at the GBA market or something, mediocrity is better received on that system. What bugs me is that the first press release said GCN, XBox, GBA, and PS2. They dropped everything but the PS2, that and Vice City were my only motivations to buy the system which is now collecting serious dust. If it weren't for a new Castlvania later this year for PS2 I would be mad. I think Kr:rpg is gonna rock :D . Davilex's game was weak. After playing GT3 on Ps2 I know they could have made a better 3-d engine for that game. From a KR fan perspective it's weak. From a game perspective it's weaker :!:
I agree Activision would be a good choice. Especially since the odds of Silicon Knights, MGS GCN (!!!!!), picking it up are extremely rare :D
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri May 02, 2003 7:06 am

msKEN wrote:The Davilex game sales in foriegn countries did horriable, the game is already in the clearance bin. There is no reaproving for NTCS versions of the game. If it was ok'd for a PAL release they most likely would have submitted it for a NTCS release as well, unless they are as stupid as they think they are. lol Ok that was mean. But why would they submit the "same" game twice to Sony for approval? It costs a nice buck or two for sony to take the time to even look at the game. I don't know to me its just common sense.
Where are you basing your data? That doesn't mean I think your wrong, I would just like to know where you found that sales were horrible. I do agree that the sales aren't what they had hoped as all those bad reviews couldn't have helped.

Also, it does make sense since Sony is divided. You have Sony Europe, Sony North America and other divisions. Each one controls its respective area, and are known for a bit of quality control. This is one of the reasons why Tri Synergy didn't release the game on the PS2 yet because it requires no extreme effort to release a game for the PC as you yourself are displaying (and I mean by no committe that approves if your game is released). Having never released a game for the PS2, I can't really say what the process is, and it would be silly for alot of you to say that this can't be the reason without knowing what it entails. But who really knows what goes on in the minds of men.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri May 02, 2003 10:26 pm

Quick! Somebody start trying to talk Davilex into releasing the PC version of the KR game for the Sega Dreamcast. :D

...probably be super easy, too. As I doubt Sega even cares and other companies have put out games that were suppose to be ultra-simple-to-do PC ports. (Heck. Bang! Gunship Elite was practically a bad PC port to Dreamcast. So bad, the menu interface is bogged down beyond belief and the game can't be completed, due to a bug...IF that got through to the sales floor...)

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat May 03, 2003 8:26 pm

DreamCast runs on a version of Windows Pocket PC. So yes, a dreamcast port, or even an x-box port in simply nothing more then writing a header that the console recognize to boot up the game. Only problem I see is that X-box runs on DX 8, and DreamCast runs on DX6.1 so with the knight rider game running on DX7 I don't see it happening. Sorry jup. :(

NEPS I receive a magazine called Game Developer and it reviews the totals each "known" or "featured" game company is bringing in. Last month they chose to come down "hard" on the Knight Rider game. They usually give a pros and cons review. The cons out weighed the pros. The even took a few cheap shots at the Dutch in general obviously playing off the Austin Powers movie for humor, but some might have found it offensive. They made the comment that the US may never see a PS2 release of the game. That's where I'm getting my info from. Again I'm guessing Davilex is the one who promised Universal Interactive multiple platform versions of the game, which is a lie that pretty much took them out of the gamming industry. "Poor Dutch bastards." - comment made by the reviewer. The cons were the fact that most of the graphics were recycled from London Racer and London Racer 2, another horrible title series by them.

I was assuming on the PS2 bit comment I made earlier, I'm not quite sure how Sony works. The engine I use only ports to X-BOX so I never really bothered to look into how they operate. [Sony] So most likely you're right. As I said I'm just guessing and I tend to be wrong, lol.

nawdle88
Recruit

Post by nawdle88 » Sun May 04, 2003 2:04 am

The KR game was one reason I wanted a PS2, but lucky for me it wasn't the only reason.

I like RPG's and fighting games (among others). Since the PS2 is backwards compatible with the old Playstion games I have a lot of New & Old games to choose from. I already picked up "Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete", "Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete", "Final Fantasy VII", "Tekken Tag Tournament" and "DOA2: Hardcore".

Since I can't afford to upgrade this old PC or buy a new one, it looks like I'll miss out on the Knight Rider game. But from what I've read here from people who have it, I doubt I would have liked it. :oops:
What's all this? It looks like Darth Vader's bathroom.

ThomasFairley
Volunteer

Post by ThomasFairley » Sun May 04, 2003 5:05 pm

I got the PS2 version yesterday (Saturday). I'm in the UK.

And would anybody else in the UK who has it like to help me?

I'm stuck on the mission where you're in the G-Industries compound and have to escape. I can't get out in time. Where do i go and what do i do?!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun May 04, 2003 7:00 pm

just back out, and u should see a ramp on ur left. go up and thru the wall ahead of u.

voila!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThomasFairley
Volunteer

Post by ThomasFairley » Mon May 05, 2003 3:56 am

Thanks, I'll try it

Is this the bit where you have to Micro-Jam the power box, or escape when the self-destruct thing comes on?

Im stuck at the bit where the self destruct thing comes on. I don't know where to go.