Starting KITT

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTFAN2003
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Starting KITT

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:16 am

In KITT vs KARR, I noticed that KARR had a power button. Does KITT have one too :?: I ask cause I swear MK has started KITT with a key a times :D

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:47 am

Yup, he does. It's located under the TV monitor, one of the four buttons marked Power, Auto, Normal, Pursuit. Power was mostly used to turn Kitt off after he was started, IE: Knights of the Fast Lane.

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:30 pm

It was also used just for starting the car, like Knight in Disgrace, or least I think that was the episode.

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:08 pm

I think Kitt needed both the key and power button to start. It was explained once before several threads back.

Cheri

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:34 pm

There are multiple ways of starting KITT.

- The most direct route is via the key. This key works exactly like a regular auto key and overrides Kitt's voice in the matter.

- A second route is done by pressing the power key. However, Kitt has total say in whether or not this key starts the engine.

- A third way is similar to pressing a button...simply by asking Kitt to start the motor in a number of ways. (Michael's most likely favorite was "Buddy. I need ya.")

- And yet a fourth way was via remote. Which there were at least three different kinds of remotes (directly or indirectly) seen throughout the series. It's unclear if Kitt had veto power over the remote features, as there are examples to favor both arguments.

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:11 am

so is that to say that if someone took out the key, that kitt would be immobilized?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:06 am

I would like to think that the power button is just that: press it and KITT either powers up, or down. Think of turning on your computer, before running a program. Press KITT's power button, and he's operational, but the key is required to start his engine manually. When his engine isn't running, he's still fully operational, just not immediately mobile. But if the power button were hit, it's shutdown time. Remember KARR didn't immediately start after his power button glowed fully on. Which also didn't COME on until that cable under his dash was reattached. I guess it's kind of like ignition lights. If I had a replica KITT :-( (I don't), that's how I'd wire it. Key on- power light & dash lights on too. With the countdown timer, for example, I'd have the starter operate with the Ignitors lamp. Hey, no-one wants to hit Eject right/left accidentally whilst cleaning the dash, right?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:37 pm

pdennis93 wrote:so is that to say that if someone took out the key, that kitt would be immobilized?
No. (This is an easy one.)

In the pilot, Michael gets out of KITT and leaves the keys in. So, the car thieves nab KITT and drive off...and poor Kitt can't turn the engine off to stop them. (But, he does take over the steering wheel and pedals.)

But, in other episodes, when Michael talks to his watch and says, 'Buddy. I need ya.', Kitt doesn't reply with, 'Sorry, buddy. You took the key with you.'. And, I should hope that Michael never made it a habbit of leaving the keys in the ignition. Besides, Knight in Disgrace totally proves that the key doesn't override the 'OFF' condition of the engine. Only the 'ON'.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:55 pm

aussieknight wrote:I would like to think that the power button is just that: press it and KITT either powers up, or down. Think of turning on your computer, before running a program.
Actually, you unknowingly pronounced two different situations. The first one being a true power button that has direct control over things by directly cutting the flow of energy off upon being pressed. KITT's 'Power button' is not this type.

The second one is, that being a toggle switch. Like with some of the more modern computers, when the toggle switch is pressed, it sends a pulse of energy to the circuit board, setting off a sequence of pre-designed events. Meaning that it is not the button doing the activation/deactivation process, but the circuitry and/or programming. It KITT's case, part of this process usually require's Kitt's approval to proceed. In fact, Michael practically has to key in a security password to bypass (and I think even that is limited) Kitt's veto power.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:56 pm

I would think it to be a terrible oversight if KITT were unable to turn his own engine off. And without checking, I am pretty sure he is able to and does so in some episodes. However, the two thieves in KOTP got one helleva ride and ended up where they belong. Anyone got a good sound sample of KITT's countdown timer for startup? I'd love my PC to erupt into the lovely V8 burble of a....errr....turbine ( ? ) Hmmm....plot hole. :-P

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:59 pm

Only when the key is in the on position can KITT not turn off the motor. Think of the ignition key as an override instead of as the main control.