How many have seen TKR, and what did you think of it?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How many have seen TKR, and what did you think of it?

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:41 pm

Just out of curiousity, how many of you actually have seen Team Knight Rider, and what did you think of it? Good, bad? Not given the proper chance? Screwed before it got good?

I personally saw a few episodes, when I could, and I thought it was pretty neat on its own, not as part of the Knight Rider franchise. It might have gotten better in the second season, but they actually would have been very awesome as their own non related action series, rather than trying to fish upon the Knight Rider name for backup. IMO, of course.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:56 pm

I thought it started out really slow. It always came across to me as more of a Knight Rider: Deep Space Nine, than a Knight Rider: the Next Generation. Duke, dude who drove Attack Beast, was the only character that didn't make me wanna throw the set out the window. Also, why did FLAG hire the ditzy blonde character, asside from the obvious that is, she made April actually look like Bonnie! Kyle seemed pretty whinny for the leader type, too. He was no Michael Knight. Oh yeah, the Fords for vehicles sucked, I guess that was the studios way of striking back at GM over the whole Trans Am fiasco for the original series. At least they went with an American car manufacturer Asside from that, the introduction of KRO was really cool. The season, which turned into series, finale showed hope for the show. I think it should at least have been allowed a second season. Maybe Sci Fi will pick it up, re-runs or all new, as they have a habit of doing with shows like that.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:01 pm

Yeah, i didnt get to see too much of it, by the time i even tried to get into the show it was canned. It would have been pretty nifty as a show by itself, so there is the argument that it wasnt really given a good shot. Overall, from what i saw, i wasn't addicted instantaneously, but i didnt hate it either. I never made a special attempt to watch it, like KR, but occsionally it was pretty fun.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:52 pm

I highly enjoyed it. Saw every episode. I think the problem was how they just jumped right into the series. There wasn't really a pilot. How did FLAG go from Private to Government controlled. With that being said I like how they started filling in gaps as the series progressed. If you've ever been to our fellow board member Mike Pajaro's site and read theletter from Rick Copp that He has posted You'll find that they did it for the purpose of letting TKR flourish on its own. However I think that hurt it in the long run instead of helped. I do wish It got renewed for one more season though.

Hey Mike can you still get in touch with Rick Copp? If so ask him what are the chances they could try to bring it back if the KR Movie is successful. Id love to see it at least have a miniseries or TV Movie wrap up.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:12 pm

I hated the cars.
- bad personalities
- no real dash
- no turbo boost
- nothing special (common cars)
- cars had weapons like rockets (Kitt never needed something like that)

Some of the stories weren't bad, like the one with KRO.
Special effects weren't the best as well.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:42 pm

I had great exspetion's for the series intill I watched it i though it was dire.
I watched all thatt Itv brodcast in the uk, but it never got any better. there was however the odd ping of exicitement for example when at the end of one episode Micheal Knight was entered into a computer but coulden't be accsessed becuase of some code.
It was never mentioned agian, at least the one's I saw diden't mention it.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:57 pm

I thought it got better the further down the line it went. A couple of the episodes could've used some re-thinking, but then again, KR had it's own off the wall moments as well.

The two motorcycle vehicles were annoying and pointless to me (you don't see them much in my fic, now do you? In fact, one was killed off) and the characters were being better developed as time went on. Beast and Duke were my favorites, with Dante in a close second. Erica wasn't all that bad. She wasn't ditzy, as someone mentioned. She had her own way of getting out of a problem.

I saw abosultely nothing wrong with the choice in manufacturing companies for the cars. I happen to really like Ford (Ford Trucks, for sure). They make some really nice looking, great-running vehicles (contrary to popular belief). I love my little Ranger.

Great show, great potential, needed a second season.

Rusti
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:01 am

The opening had an overall style which somewhat payed homage to classic KR, but even if it was similar, the music was simply not good. If they had done a remix of the KR theme, or even just some rock or techno theme, it would have been okay, but the theme they used seemed so cheap and unpolished, and the narrator's lines were not great either (though his voice was okay). I was greatly disappointed even at this juncture...at the very least, they could have added a purple haze to the opening to make it look a little like classic KR.

I have to go along with Garthe Knight and say that the car/trucks were unremarkable, and with rusti_knight and say that the motorcycles seemed pointless. Not only that, but the "high pursuit combo mode" was dumber than super pursuit mode ever was. The cycle used in the "Dark Angel" series looked much cooler by comparison, even if DA aired a few years later. The car/trucks didn't have scanners or real voicemods to look at, either.

Kat and Plato (the motorcycles) were just eye candy, not really great talkers (especially Plato, who was just like Trek, ick). Dante and Beast (the trucks) were the tough vehicles, and pretty much played like that, though Dante's British accent got old fast and Beast wasn't much like Duke. Domino wasn't like Jenny, and would actually flirt with guys! Far removed from KITT, who would frequently express puzzlement over human beings and their physical attraction to one another (usually Michael and miscellanious women).
Furthermore, when you think of the word "Domino" you tend to think of a black car with a white circle on it or something similar, not a plain red Mustang with white stripes.
Basically, other than Trek/Plato, the vehicles didn't really fit with their drivers.
SkyOne wasn't as cool as the FLAG semi, but I guess it did it's job.

Trek was terrible. If you thought Lucas Wolenczech was bad in "SeaQuest" or Harper is bad in "Andromeda," get a load of this guy. Erica was a cool character, mysterious and seductive. Duke was a strong, intimidating figure but he was a good leader to the team. Jenny was disobedient, but still okay. Kyle was okay as the leader, but the actor didn't really have the presence to play a great leader. Maybe if he was older, then he would have been a better presence.

Overall, despite all the shortcomings in the setup of the show, I thought it was decent as a spinoff of KR, not great in direct relation to it. As few of the episodes, like the one with KRO, were great, but that didn't save the show from being lackluster (the special effects looked like the kinda stuff you'd see on "Mutant X" nowadays. Cheapo most of the time!).

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:39 am

i only saw one episode when i was out of town, and for what i remember, the only good part of the show was the chase scene at the end. the rest of the episode was pretty boring and reminded me of some WB show or a sci-fi nickelodeon show. weak storyline to my recolection.

i do agree with KI on the fact that it was worse trying to fish off the knight rider name rather than just being it's own stand-alone action series.

every fan of knight rider knows that the central idea around the whole series is "one man can make a difference." but, put in a team of people, and you blow that to pieces, along with going against what wilton knight had originally planned since the very first day of his empire.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:51 am

To me it seemed couterproductive to have several cars to the work of one. I think the one man army concept of KR worked. The TKR concept made them look really foolish and inefective. KRO proved that the concept wasn't right on the money, even though KRO was the reason FLAG ditched the "one man can make a difference" concept. Now had MK and Kitt been on the job, KRO would not have been a problem. If I had the creativity to write, I always pondered how a Kitt vs. Kro scenario would pan out. If you think about it, KRO was built in the void between the end of KR and the begining of TKR. So it is conceivable that MK and Kitt could very well had already tangled with KRO. If KRO was captured and deactivated before the TKR episode, which took all of TKR to stop him, then who would be capable of stoping KRO before...makes ya wonder, huh? This is why I think TKR deserved a second season :D.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Janeway
Recruit

Post by Janeway » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:28 am

It had potential to be a great series. Some of the episodes showed this - K.R.O being one, and the final ep being another. They could have stood to put more thought into where they were going with the series, though.

Also, I honestly think they were damaging the series by having too many characters all fighting for screen time. As such, it was rare that you got moments of true characterisation, because all the characters were in there at once.

As a couple of people have said, the bikes were a waste of space (this is supposed to be Knight Rider, not StreetHawk!!) but as characters with potential, Dante, Kyle, Duke and Beast were easily the most interesting. (unfortunately, I can't write Beast's voice properly, that's why he ain't in KR: Shadows!)

Well, there's my 0.02 pence!

Janeway

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:07 am

there is some good shows of TKR.
i think i even have 2 of them recorded :)
one is with that evil car that are supposed to look like Former KARR
i think its named cro or something.
that shjow was pretty good..
otherwise its a pretty lame series

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:35 am

It bored me to death.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:47 pm

I watched few episodes of TKR and I didn't like it. Maybe it's becouse when I first heard of Team Knight Rider I was expecting something as awesome, mysterious and futuristic like original Knight Rider.
Also the cars in TKR wasn't anything as awesome as original KITT in my opinion.
I think the "one man can make a difference" is very important element in Knight Rider so all "team whatever"-concepts belongs to some other shows.

-KITTfan-

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:56 pm

This comes up again and again, and I realize I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how people can feel that TKR had less characterization than the original. If anything, I feel that TKR spent TOO MUCH time developing their characters and not enough time on the action.

If you include stuntwork under the heading of "special effects", TKR far exceeded anything we saw in Knight Rider in terms of elaborate, coordinated stunts. Jumping a car over a wall is easy. But flipping cars in the air surrounded by well-timed explosions takes a huge effort, and TKR did it regularly. Also, even in 1982 KITT's displays looked cheap: using videogames graphics as a sensor scan?! At least the TKR displays looked fresh.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:00 pm

i saw like 2 episodeds when it was in rotation.. i liked it, mostly cuz its got the knight rider name. if anyone has any episodes.. shout me a holla dogg. i reallllly doubt ill be able to find one tho..

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:04 pm

"Shout me a holla dogg"?!!

That is great. But man, I am getting old.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:21 pm

I only caught a few episodes, and what I saw didn't float my boat. I've been told that it got better at the end, though.

Viper
Stranger

Post by Viper » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:34 pm

I agree that TKR did have the potential to become something pretty awesome if they'd given it another series, because it started off a little slow and only started to get more interesting at the end with the last episode. The episode with KRO was pretty cool too.

Personally I think the series overall was actually ok, but there were some painfully weak storylines and sometimes it just seemed to be the same sort of idea all over again. The characters were ok too, but I think they should have taken it up with another series, because the last episode was when it really started picking up. I hope Sci-Fi do pick it up again and carry on, because it would be interesting to see what happens next.

So far though, it doesn't quite beat the original. KR ruled, and it'll take a lot to come anywhere near that standard.

K.I.T.T.2002.
Volunteer

Post by K.I.T.T.2002. » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:11 pm

I saw 2 episodes and they were both rubbish, im not keen on Fords' and i didnt like that whole 'team' thing either, even though i know thats what the whole show was about. Knight Rider is all about 'One man can make a difference.And i dont see 'team' in that phrase.

What actually happens in the last episode anyway?

I've heard about the episode with KRO though it didnt sound that bad.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:15 pm

I think the last episode is the one where KITT comes back in the form of a hologram or something or rather but Michael Knight actually makes an appearance at the very end. You don't see his face...just the back of him. Doesn't even sound like him either.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nawdle88
Recruit

Post by nawdle88 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:19 pm

I saw nearly all of them. I missed one episode and missed all but the last few minutes of the episode with K.R.O., the timer on my old VCR at the time screwed up (don't own that VCR anymore). I kept tuning in with hopes that it would get better.

Aside from Jenny, Dante and sometimes Domino, I just didn't really care very much for the characters. I did like the stunts however.

I still have two episodes of TKR taped. The last one and one other.
What's all this? It looks like Darth Vader's bathroom.

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:40 pm

shout me a holla dogg.. ben stiller.. funny stuff

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:34 pm

I just couldnt stumach the show personally. It just didnt or nore did deserve to hodl the Knight Rider name and FLAG oh that is a totally different story to be changed liek it was. They just didnt have a good concept for the show i am suprised it made out even on TV if there was a pilot maybe people might of have said get it off or people might of picked up on it. These are only IMO and not to be takin as the real thing to others but my personal idea's.

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:20 am

I think the key missing component was the "one man can make a difference". The show, IMO (which I did like, but didn't get to see all of them), should have spent one episode focusing on two characters on two separate cases. They might run into everyone else back at SkyOne, but for the most part, the episode focused and developed the relationship of two of the teams. I say two because there's really not much more you can do with an hour, but two keeps one team from monopolizing the spotlight. Using all five members/vehicles was sheer overkill. I can understand needing multiple people to solve a crime, each with different strengths and weaknesses, but 5 vehicles, especially two archaic looking motorcycles, was rediculous when two or three would have done nicely.

K.R.O., in my opinion, was a welcome breath of fresh air. A car capable of so much, driven into exile and insanity. Makes you wonder just how stable AI will really be.