Why bring Peter Parros in for final season?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

katz112
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Did anybody like the character RC?

Post by katz112 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:43 pm

Just out of curiosity-
I was wondering as to how many fans liked the character RC. I myself didn't. I felt the show lost some fans when he was introduced. I felt as though Micheal had a helper when he could do eveything on his own. Made him feel in charge, and as the only "hero" of the show.

Anybody have any other opinions?

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:51 pm

He was ace in KOTJ...but at the foundation he was well...pretty usless lol.
I didnt rate him much at all.....but he kicked but as the Street avenger!!

K.I.T.T

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:26 pm

I liked RC,he was one cool dude 8) in my book at least. Ya can't blame the guy for grabbing a job offer to work for FLAG. Heck, who wouldn't.

Cheri

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:53 pm

Well ive got nothing against the guy, but nothing really for him either. he helped put KITT back together, nice one. But after that, all he done was sit in the back of the semi working on his motorbike and asking if he could get in on the mission, which he never really did to the full extent. I think he wanted to be michael really, but couldnt.

Not much need for him to be honest, you dig ???

Scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:11 pm

i've just remembered another episode where he was useful...Knight of a Thousand Devils when he teamed with Michael.

At that point, I was getting sick of the racing storylines of the show but it was good to see Michael pairing up with RC and having another partner apart from KITT.

He also helped Michael in KILLER KITT too toward the end.

Skav

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Re: Did anybody like the character RC?

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:27 pm

I find RC to be an annoying useless character who was added to Knight Rider because he was black. Gotta love that affirmative action, folks.

He served no purpose but to beg Michael to go along and leave the semi without a driver. Blah- go away, RC.

-Scott
katz112 wrote:Just out of curiosity-
I was wondering as to how many fans liked the character RC. I myself didn't. I felt the show lost some fans when he was introduced. I felt as though Micheal had a helper when he could do eveything on his own. Made him feel in charge, and as the only "hero" of the show.

Anybody have any other opinions?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:32 pm

I personally thought that RCIII had all kinds of potential, he was just not realized the way he could have been had the script writers actually added him properly, rather than set decoration.

KI

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:24 am

Personally I found RC3 funny, but also about as usefull as April(sorry April fans). To me April never did anything either except wave that flashing stick across KITT's hood, and she never intented anything that worked, or she did two, but both we never saw again. :P

RC3 seemed too laid back, he didn't seem to do much either.

Soul Sista
Rookie

Post by Soul Sista » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:20 pm

Wow Scott,you read my mind! :lol: In my mind,RC was a just there to add a little color to the show.To me,the producers kind of portrayed him as being this young,uneducated black boy from the ghetto; who seems to have problems grasping the English language;but has no problems saying the words "boss"(those from the South will understand what I'm saying :wink: )over and over again. :lol: Did,I mention that I REALLY did'nt like RC? :lol: :wink:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:30 pm

RC III COULD have been a useful character. But, let's face it. The writing staff really didn't have that much of an idea of what to do with Devon and Bonnie. They were usually there for supporting roles as information givers, comfort supporters and the tool to allow KITT to be "action struck", yet be recovered to keep the episode going. And, RC III was, more or less, Mr. Jr. Action Dude. And, well, two men of action just wasn't the KR way.

Which is why in my planned KR fan fiction series, RC III and April are formed into their own semi unit with their own KITT. (The Three Thousand: KITT's child.) That way, they can be there, if needed, and easily removed when not.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:03 pm

I don't think RC was added because he was black. I don't even believe that Affirmative Action was in place at that time. Regardless, I enjoyed RC III. I know people hate the later seasons, but I guess I remember them fonder than most.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:15 pm

Actually, it was, and there were some distinct statements at the time that the African Americans were giving out complaints of 'all white TV', even as far back as then.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:29 pm

I really wanted to hate RC3 - I even rechristened him 'RCD3', as is my wont - because he was part of the last-ditch season four ratings attempt, starring everybody's favourite, Silly Pop-out Mode. But I kept liking the actor. The character was stereotypical and underused, but the comic moments with the motorbike were quite funny. And it was fitting, really, that he stayed in the background, as Michael, Kitt, Devon, and Bonnie had been a team for three years or so at that point, and it wouldn't have been natural for a new character to instantly 'gel'. Maybe with a mythical season five ... :?:

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:39 pm

do we know if anyone else was up for the job of RC3???

K.I.T.T

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:32 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Actually, it was, and there were some distinct statements at the time that the African Americans were giving out complaints of 'all white TV', even as far back as then.
I'm sure your right about that, but was just saying that it wasn't because of AA.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:42 pm

They added RCIII as a colored character to 'balance' it out. That would be a side effect of AA. They even mentioned it a couple of times on the History Channel, in one of their specials that they had on 'Affirmative Action'

KI

Kirin
Recruit

Re: Did anybody like the character RC?

Post by Kirin » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:07 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote:I find RC to be an annoying useless character who was added to Knight Rider because he was black. Gotta love that affirmative action, folks.

He served no purpose but to beg Michael to go along and leave the semi without a driver. Blah- go away, RC.

-Scott
The thing is, most American made TV shows don't even consider having non-White characters on board. Hollywood is a tough place for non-White actors. So you could reverse that thinking and say that David Hasselhoff, Patricia McPherson and Edward Mulhare got their jobs because they were White. Non-Whites would never even have been considered. So if a Black, Hispanic or Asian character does show up, cries of "racial bean counting" or "AA" are thrown out.

I mean I could see James Earl Jones playing the role of Devon Miles (a cultured and intellectual Brit with a sly sense of humour) just as well as Edward Mulhare did. Probably better.

I had no problem with RC being a Black man. But what I found annoying was that he was just a stereotypical Black guy from the streets that said stuff like "you dig my brother?" I'm not sure, but I think he even said "jive turkey!" a couple of times too.

Zoom7000
Volunteer

Post by Zoom7000 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:00 pm

Is RC3 likely to be in the upcoming Knight Rider Movie? I read on a Movie Database, not IMDB, that Peter Parros was in the cast?

Zoom7000

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:02 pm

"But what I found annoying was that he was just a stereotypical Black guy from the streets that said stuff like "you dig my brother?" I'm not sure, but I think he even said "jive turkey!" a couple of times too."

You're right! I found all that annoying, also and just didn't fit into the KR universe.

Having a one off KR ep with Knight Song, I can handle but RC3 saying all that typical street stuff really got on my nerves.

But saying that, what with Devon's smart British appearance and personality, I think it was a way of RC's attitude to go against that and inject a bit of humour into the show...after all...season 4 did get a bit serious!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:15 pm

Zoom7000 wrote:Is RC3 likely to be in the upcoming Knight Rider Movie? I read on a Movie Database, not IMDB, that Peter Parros was in the cast?

Zoom7000
IMDB=incorrect information submitted by anonymous users who most likely took their information off of debates off of this site.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:46 pm

Skav wrote:
But saying that, what with Devon's smart British appearance and personality, I think it was a way of RC's attitude to go against that and inject a bit of humour into the show...after all...season 4 did get a bit serious!

Skav
I think Devon was stereotyped too (the American view of the English gent). And Michael was just another 'gut instinct' cop, initially out for revenge after the death of a partner. The templates for the main characters were toned down as the personalities of the actors started to influence their roles, with the progression of the series. So who knows for RC3, had he been given longer?

:shock: I need to sit down. I'll be finding plus-points for SPM next!

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:51 pm

Skav wrote: I've just remembered another episode where he was useful...Knight
of a Thousand Devils when he teamed with Michael. At that point, I
was getting sick of the racing storylines of the show but it was good
to see Michael pairing up with RC and having another
partner apart from KITT.

He also helped Michael in KILLER KITT too toward the end.

Skav
IIRC, RC3 also played a big part in the "Knight Flight to Freedom" episode
about a military coup, in a small, volcano ravaged South American country.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:12 pm

yeah, you're right about that too!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whet
FLAG Assistant

Why bring Peter Parros in for final season?

Post by whet » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:56 am

Just something i've though about in Knight Rider the legacy it states that in november 85 the cast and crew of Knight Rider already knew it only had one more season before being axed.
If this is the case then why did they bring Peter Parros in for the last season?
When they knew the end was coming anyway it seems a bit silly to have done this.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:10 pm

Because they were trying to tap into a new audience, and like the introduction of super pursuit mode, were trying to get those ratings elevated. In November of 85, approximately half of season four had already been shot, and 'put in the can'. When they brought Peter Parros in, they didn't know that they were as good as axed.

KI