A Board Round Robin - Discussion Thread

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TT Snim
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TT Snim » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:54 pm

Or try Spell Check . com

(Gins and winks)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:01 pm

Um, was that Grins and winks? *ducks*

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:51 pm

Both fine features...on a system that can support file swapping, text file saving and multi-tasking.

We're talking a system that needs to be tricked just to post a reply to this board because it's so-called JavaScript is as fresh as "weak" old coffee.

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:28 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Um, was that Grins and winks? *ducks*

KI
In the immortal words of Homer...

DOH!!! :x

Well, you all love me any way... I know you do.

I was wondering, can we make RR challenges and after the old RR is done a new one from the challenges could be used?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:42 pm

So, Neil. When is the RR going to continue? (Or, maybe 'how' would be a better word.) Is it being posted into the other thread? (That's the way I thought it was going down, at least.)

Just wondering, because I think I have a great starting point all worked out.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:13 pm

the RR is going to continue tonight. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my portion. The problem though Jup is that you aren't next to go, so your idea for the begining may not work anymore because we may be past that point. I guess thats one of the exciting parts about it.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:23 pm

Could be... We will just have to see. But, my idea involves Garthe and KARR locating Michael and KITT. (Which, I suspect won't yet be covered so early in the story.)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:44 pm

true, will be interesting to see if the story advances to that point. the way you mention "starting point" however lead me to believe you ment the very begining.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:11 pm

okay, my portion is up! go have a gander.

tag rusti, your it!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:20 pm

What a great start, Neil. But, I think we had better seek the services of Tomy for this project, ASAP.

I feel like fine tuning the grammer and punctuation errors the way Tomy did it, but I'm out of time for tonight.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:41 pm

Um, jup, before you start picking out other's problems, you might want to look at yourself. It is grammar. And if you give the busy beta readers just a moment, we will get to it.

EDIT: There, just a little tweaking done. Neil's portion has been beta read. I know that I would be more than happy to beta read the entries, as I am sure that Tomy would, but you all need to understand that we both are very busy people, and can't do it on a moment's notice. Neil had contacted me earlier and asked me to get to it when I could.

I would recommend that at this point, you all look at the context, and not get so worried about the beta reading. We are all here to read the fruits of our imaginative labor, not be the judge, jury and executioner, and if you have a problem with the grammar, punctuation, etc., then you need to email, rather than complain publicly. Things can change from one moment to the next on the beta reading situation, basically when one or the other of the beta readers can get to it. Spell and grammar checkers are a wonderful thing, and it is highly appreciated if you use them, but when it comes to flow, well, there will be a beta reader there at some point, but we don't need to embarass the authors. We need to encourage them.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:59 pm

knightimmortal wrote:It is grammar.

KI
Ha, hah! Even as I look at the error, I do not recognize it as a spelling error. Great catch, KI.

P.S.: Tomy's number one correction tip for me was my constant (and I do mean constant) habit to use both present AND past tense at the same time. Had I been more aware of doing so, the correction process would probably have been a couple dozen spelling errors/typos and several oddly worded sentences in Knight of The KAMO.

P.P.S.: It's also worth noting that the Dreamcast does not always process every key stroke. So, I expect machine related typos to appear, especially once the length of the reply becomes somewhat long. (750 words ought to easily tax the processing speed.)

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:53 pm

I just thought of something that should majorly affect the way this RR is to be written. Seeing how at the end of KvsK, KARR's black box is the only surviving piece of electronics, and following the logic applied to how KITT's memories were not all tied into his box, should it not be logical to believe that the surviving portion of Karr would not remember anything about the events that happened during either KARR episode? (Because, those "memories" would have been contained on RAM boards that were smashed into a million pieces upon impact with KITT.) In essence, we probably would be getting an even more innocent KARR personality then the one used in TDR. (Because, Karr wouldn't even remember being deactivated by Wilton.) In fact, the only real "timeline" that Karr would know about would come from the input from Garthe. (And, who knows how knowledgable he would be on events.)

Wouldn't it be interesting if, without Karr's former knowledge/experiences/hatred for Michael/Kitt, Karr refused Garthe's order to kill Michael at a crucial moment, just because Karr didn't see a reason to do so?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:36 pm

I guess we will just have to see if the other writers decide to take it into that direction when they take their chunk. ;)

KI

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:59 pm

Dreamchild, your turn.

Dreamchild
Volunteer

Post by Dreamchild » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:06 pm

Honestly, I go away for a few days and discover that everyone's been terribly efficient and written their pieces. Sheesh! :) Well, better get on with mine...

Calum

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:27 pm

Not my fault that my place of work had me do some mid-night shifts and I had to prepare for the time alterations over the weekend...AND the story was ready for me like only four hours beforehand. I HAD to find something to do in order to prepare. The story writing was a perfect excuse to stay awake. :)

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Tue May 13, 2003 2:47 pm

OK, Bump. Someone else step on up, please.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 13, 2003 9:04 pm

Sorry I had to delete your post Jup, but comments remain in this thread!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue May 13, 2003 9:18 pm

That's OK. I planned on editing it out with some of my addition, tomorrow afternoon, anyhow.

Just makes me mad that I had the whole thing ready, hit Post and got an error message, no retrieval option available. Cursed Planetweb forced their software to clear out every bit of form information whenever the page gets reloaded!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 13, 2003 9:27 pm

perhaps someone else should have a turn before you jump back in jup? we want people to be able to approach it without worrying about one person overpowering the thing.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue May 13, 2003 10:15 pm

Oh...if that's the way you feel...pardon my willingness to be such apart... :(

Guess we don't need to hear about Karr's mysterious dreams or Garthe's main plans for conquest.

I've got a game underway for a contest in a community that actually wants my creativity. I should center all my efforts there, instead.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue May 13, 2003 10:30 pm

now, jup, please don't act like that, it's just that it does seem like one person is controlling the story if they jump in so soon, and it doesn't give others a chance to throw in their own creative direction. Neil didn't say that you couldn't participate anymore, but he is just saying that you should give others a bit of a chance to jump in before you dive in again.

KI

_Mad_Man_2k
Recruit

Post by _Mad_Man_2k » Fri May 23, 2003 6:30 pm

I could make an addition to the story, but I am a terrible writer, and it would be deleted because it detracted from the plot.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri May 23, 2003 10:38 pm

I think the point is to get people to write.

But, I am just second guessing, here.