What would Kitt look better in today?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTvsKARR
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTvsKARR » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:09 pm

Score one for our fearless leader......
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Tarmac
Rookie

Nice contemporary design...

Post by Tarmac » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:28 am

And it's even got space for a scanner: (Pretend it's black)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:21 am

Cute, but sorta missing the long lines of KITT.

KI

JennKitt
Volunteer

Post by JennKitt » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:44 am

I agree with KI on this one. One of the main reasons why Kitt went into the Trans Am was because it was a car you could see almost everywhere. It's not the most common car, but it's still not one of a kind. Remember all of the undercover work Kitt and Michael did. To me the red of the car in KR2000 was to noticable. I like the car, don't get me wrong, but still to one of a kind for Kitt. That's why I like KI's suggestion of the Vette, it's out there, you can see them quite often, but it's not the most common car around... and it's american.

I'm not sure about putting a scanner in some of the car today. Mike's right about some of those holes being used for air intake. The air dam under my '82 is very important. Thankfully it's a little harder to block than the air intakes of some newer cars. If it were to be damaged or blocked it would definitely affect the performance of the car.

8)

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:36 pm

I agree with the American car part... I really don't want another "The Rice and the Ridiculous" And since KITT, as many have said, was American, a performance car, AND one that you COULD see driving down the road, and it also looked nice to the eyes, unlike some of the ricers of today. *Rolls Eyes* But as usual.. its not up to us.. so we'll just have to wait and see.. but about the Corvette idea.. there IS a Corvetter conversion out there.. I saw a pic of it.. Black car, with scanner and all.. looked VERY close to KITT.. it was pretty kewl.. but don't remember where it was.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:35 pm

Anyone else have an opinion on the car I posted?

I think it's the perfect candidate of today's car, sporty, not flashy, blends in well but still looks very good.

This isn't 2003, there are no long sporty cars like the 82 TA. The appeal of the 82 Trans Am was that it was a nice, sporty looking car which wasn't an exotic/super car, it was attainable, not like today's Vette really. At the moment no american company makes a car with KITT's orginal characteristics lookwise so they should be disqualified cause nothing they make right now looks good (2002 TA aside).
Last edited by Tarmac on Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:42 pm

that car is cute. and thats the problem for me. the size is to small and I feel it doesn't look like it would stand up to much. maybe its just my mind being brain washed from all the knight rider, but KITT looked big enough that he could take on other cars. this car looks like he wont be able to see over many cars fenders.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:19 pm

The Vette is very attainable. It doesn't take an act of god to get one, and to be honest, if I see another econo-car in a high action movie doing things that in reality would make it take flight and flip like a flapjack, I am going to yark.

KI

KOSI
Recruit

Re: ...

Post by KOSI » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:59 am

Tarmac wrote:Anyone else have an opinion on the car I posted?
My opinion is that no matter how much you make believe, and how many mods you put on it, it's still a Hyundai Tiburon, and although Hyundai has made incredible strides in quality as of late, and the Tiburon is a capable car, and quite possibly the best looking and performing coupes on the market for it's price, it doesn't change the brand image of Hyundai, as the owner has apparently already noticed, judging by the fact that he or she has installed a Ford Mustang Cobra badge on the hood, as some people install Sylvia badging on an otherwise untouched 240SX in hopes that people think it's the genuine J-Spec article.

I have no problem with those who modify their cars, but I have problems with those who do modifications to make a car 'look faster', when a modification to make the car GO faster is just as easy, and often more cost effective. ((Example from my high-school: titanic multilevel touring wing, cut-spring suspension and earlier model Cobra R rims on a black mustang V6 coupe. What does he have in the thing that makes him require such extra handling aids you ask? A buzzbomb exhaust and a 'Nawss' system that's actually just an empty oxygen bottle in the trunk from the owner's emphyzemic father, painted blue, with a piece of surgical tubing painted silver running through a hole in the back seat, into the padding of the back seat and then into nowhere. Oh, and did I imagine that there's about sixty stickers on the thing, and a yellow stripe down the right side that the guy admitted was laid down by a paint roller?))

Tarmac
Rookie

Re: ...

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:54 am

KOSI wrote:
Tarmac wrote:Anyone else have an opinion on the car I posted?
My opinion is that no matter how much you make believe, and how many mods you put on it, it's still a Hyundai Tiburon, and although Hyundai has made incredible strides in quality as of late, and the Tiburon is a capable car, and quite possibly the best looking and performing coupes on the market for it's price, it doesn't change the brand image of Hyundai, as the owner has apparently already noticed, judging by the fact that he or she has installed a Ford Mustang Cobra badge on the hood, as some people install Sylvia badging on an otherwise untouched 240SX in hopes that people think it's the genuine J-Spec article.

I have no problem with those who modify their cars, but I have problems with those who do modifications to make a car 'look faster', when a modification to make the car GO faster is just as easy, and often more cost effective. ((Example from my high-school: titanic multilevel touring wing, cut-spring suspension and earlier model Cobra R rims on a black mustang V6 coupe. What does he have in the thing that makes him require such extra handling aids you ask? A buzzbomb exhaust and a 'Nawss' system that's actually just an empty oxygen bottle in the trunk from the owner's emphyzemic father, painted blue, with a piece of surgical tubing painted silver running through a hole in the back seat, into the padding of the back seat and then into nowhere. Oh, and did I imagine that there's about sixty stickers on the thing, and a yellow stripe down the right side that the guy admitted was laid down by a paint roller?))
Dude grab a clue that's not a Cobra Emblem, it's the emblem THAT COMES WITH THE CAR IN EUROPE as over there it's called a Tuscani. The car is unaltered. I'd say Hyundai's brand image is just fine at the moment as they've had record sales every year in North America. You're the one who needs to get over the Hyundai name and your "perceived" brand image associated with it.

I'd respond to your 2nd paragraph but in all honesty I barely glanced over it since it has nothing to do with the unmodified car I posted. But it seems you do have issues with ricers (again not the above car).
Last edited by Tarmac on Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:05 am

Um, ok.

You asked for the opinion, so take it as such, you asked, you got.

You will find many people on this board have a problem with 'ricers' 'econo-cars', that type of thing, it just happens that way. It is their opinion. Also have a general problem with a lot of cars that aren't Trans-Ams or other American-based and named cars.

Let them have their opinions, or don't ask for them, and kindly do not ask them to 'get a clue'.

Thanks in advance.

KI

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:15 am

His opinion was a non one as it was based on the Ford Mustang Cobra emblem the car apparently had. Read it again he says that his opinion is that it's a Hyundai Tiburon. ???? What makes it a good KR car, pros, cons, those are the kinds of things I was looking for in an opinion. I wans't asking for an opinon on Hyundai, I want to know what people think of the look of this car for a future KR movie.

People need to have an open mind about cars, 3rd gen FBods weren't god's give to automotive engineeering.

Furthermore, I make no apologies about him getting a clue, before he was all over a car for being riced out he should have informed himself prior to making untrue assumptions.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:23 am

Let me put it this way:

1) There is no such thing as a non-opinion. This is not your board, therefore you have no such justification of determining what is a valid opinion and what isn't.

2) If you want to control what responses you get and don't get, then you are on the wrong internet.

3) If you can't play nice, then you may not want to play at all.

This board is open to all who have an opinion, as long as their opinion and views do not cause damage to the board, to others (en masse), or isn't too far off topic, then they are welcome to them. That is how it goes in a public forum, which this is. That is just how things go. Sorry if you don't like it that way.

I would suggest that you reconsider an apology, take time, think about it. Please.

KI

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:28 am

Break down his response and you'll see that he never said whether or not the car was good for KR. Your earlier response was ideal "Cute but missing the long lines of KITT, bam, there's an opinion. An opinion doesn't have to coincide with mine to be valid.

He on the other hand said, you know it's a Hyundai Tiburon, and......

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:36 am

I don't have to break down his response, I just have to see yours. You asked, he answered, and you rudely responded, and you are continuing to do so. The facts do not support the attitude. Once again, I am going to ask that you apologize.

KI

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:41 am

I apologise for my remark to KOSI, it was uncalled for and unnecessary as we are all KR enthusiaists.

I'd have to disagree with you knightimmortal that I am continuing to be rude to you or any other member in any way.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:48 am

Thank you for the apology, and you can disagree to your heart's content, I only asked that you apologize, and you argued. You apologized, that was honorable of you, and I once again, thank you.

Now, if we may get back to the topic at hand, it will be much appreciated.

(Still would like to see a Vette take the reins as KITT....)

KI

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:52 am

A Vette would be nice, lookswise, but where do we put the damsel's kid?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:55 am

Preferrably attached to the rear, by a rope, and dragged....

(Sorry, I found the damsel kid thing highly annoying...especially Buddy from the pilot, who just needed to be ejected into a pit of acid)

KI

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:20 pm

id love to see them use an 02 trans am, if they want a new car...

id have to say, shug, the mustang would look pretty good as KITT

im more a thunderbird guy and not a mustang guy, but the new tbird is not much of a performer or looker, its a yupppie mlc car,

the 03 cobra though might look good as kitt

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:35 pm

I dunno....if not our beloved 82 t/a, i think an all black new corvette just screams Kitt. Its funny, when i was quite young, watching KR, i immediately though that the cool black car was a corvette. The new corvette definately has a potential to be Kitt.

JennKitt
Volunteer

Post by JennKitt » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:20 pm

We've had a few different suggestions about which car they should/could use as the new car for Kitt. Some have suggested the foriegn econo cars (ricers; as some like to call them.)... yet others have suggested that we use a different brand of american car (fords, dodge, ect.)... and still others have suggested some really off the wall things like trucks. :roll:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. You'll never find a car that is just like the 82' Trans Am. As much as we'd all like to see a Trans Am of any year in this movie it won't happen. Pontiac themselves has already said that. If you want to find the article look it up in the archives, I did post it.

My opinion of the above posted blue car: Keep it. It's a nice car for everyday driving, but it's not the eye catcher that we all associate Kitt with. The car lacks the smooth lines (as one person already mentioned) and the length that gave Kitt the illusion of being fast. In all reality the 82' Trans Am was the slowest sports car to ever come out. Why? Because at the time the economy wanted that. People wanted to cut back on the amount of gas they used. As a result it hurt the sports car market. It really hasn't changed much even today. That's why we see so many of the eco-foriegn cars on the roads today. Personaly I'll always go with the American cars, which is why I've got two Pontiacs. :D

Which car should they use? I'm trying to keep an open mind. The way the market is going I can't be sure what they'll use. I'd like to see a black vette. It has all of the characteristics that Kitt once had... the smooth lines, the length, a car you'll see on the road in most parts of the country, but still not the everyday car, and it appeals to the ladies. About the only thing I don't care for on the vette is its gas milage, but for a movie like this that won't be a factor.

How about the Ford Mustang that someone else mentioned? I could live with it. It's got most of the characteristics, but at the same time it just doesn't stick out like the TA did or does. I respect the old-style Mustang, but they ruined it when they brought it back. I'm sorry, but the Mustang just wasn't meant to be a front-wheel drive car.

Guess I'm aging myself again... and getting too long winded. :P :roll: Sorry about that. Just getting my opinions in. :lol: :lol:

JennKitt 8)

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:23 pm

I respect the old-style Mustang, but they ruined it when they brought it back. I'm sorry, but the Mustang just wasn't meant to be a front-wheel drive car.
um....the mustang is not nor has ever been a front wheel drive car, your thinking of the Probe that almost became the new 1989 mustang.....Ford got so many complaints about it that they kept the mustang RWD and V8 and made the FWD car the probe...

as for that one i posted that is a 2003 Ford mustang SVT Cobra with a Supercharged 4.6liter DOHC v8 putting out 390HP.

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:28 pm

oh and, how bout a light blue '57 chevy belair, oh wait, its been done :roll:

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:52 pm

I would actually like to apologize for part of my post, I did kinda let my annoyance with ricers, whom drive just about any model car in my area, (there are so many beat-to-heck third gen Camaros and Fox body mustangs around here it's not even funny) get in the way of my coherence. I personally actually like Tiburons, because I know enough about them to know they're actually good quality, handsome, capable performance cars, and I have no problem with foreign cars. I personally would be very pleased if Kitt ended up in an Infiniti/Nissan Skyline G35 Sport Coupe, or indeed, a Skyline of just about any recent model, R32-R34. I'm afraid I did not do my research on european Hyundais, and my ignorance of the topic was my downfall. I am personally very ranged in my automotive tastes, and I judge cars by their performance and utility, not by their image, which is really not consistent with the fact that I jumped up and down on my toes chanting "Kawaii!" when I first saw a Scion xB, but still... Gah, rambling no good, me shut up.