What would Kitt look better in today?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Crusing
Recruit

What would Kitt look better in today?

Post by Crusing » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:31 pm

I wondered, I know that the original Kitt was in a Trans Am originaly American made but would Kitt look right in mabey a Mitsubishi Eclipse or a Toyota Celica or something. :shock:

Mabey this can apply to foriegn markets or to mabey a younger audience. :?:

Also would like to apply that Kitt was a sports car a very very awesome sports car. 8) 8) :D :D

TT Snim
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TT Snim » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:57 pm

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:06 pm

I could think KITT in 4th gen Pontiac Firebird/Trans-Am if it's black but of course I like the best KITT being '82 Trans-Am 8)
I don't know if any other sports car would look like KITT even after modifications, I only know that I made once modified picture of 1990 black Mazda 323F to have KITT's scanner and bowling ball hubcaps. Well, I can tell that it still didn't look like KITT at all :roll:

Crusing
Recruit

Post by Crusing » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:45 pm

One would think Pontiac would give some kind of recognition or at least mention to Kitt on there website but they don't. :idea:

Also that the FireBird is not being made no more then what is the majority of the Knight Rider fans going to do who use the FireBird as replicas of Kitt. I belive Pontiac lost big time in that they stop making the FireBird.
:shock:
Knight Rider probaly increased there sells who knows right? :D

Pontiac can probaly used Ktt for promotional purposes when the show was running back then somewhat like the Ford T Bird from the James Bond movie was promoted.

ShakyJake
Stranger

Post by ShakyJake » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:34 pm

I think the 4th Gen Firebirds/Trans Ams were too bulky looking to be used in a new KITT. About the only car that has the original sleek-look that KITT had is the newer (97+) Corvettes. I can imagine a black Corvette Z06 being KITT. I think that would work well.

JennKitt
Volunteer

Post by JennKitt » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:16 pm

This topic has been brought up many, many times. If you were to put a poll up the vast majority would vote for the old '82 Trans Am. As for other choices? They'd probably be ignored.

As for Pontiac not promoting Kitt... I think it might have something to do with the amount of changes the car had done to it. I've heard many times that people would go in to the dealership requesting a car that looked just like Kitt. Did Kitt up the sales of the Trans Am? From the numbers I've seen I think he did have a small impact, just like the Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit had. I do believe he would've helped if they would've used the Trans Am in the movie that's coming out, but I believe Pontiac didn't want to go through the same problems they did the first time. Lots of disappointed customers because they couldn't get a car that looked just like Kitt. :cry:

Over the past few years I've seen lots of pictures that were done to look like Kitt. All of them looked very nice and would make great cars for Kitt. My favorite will always be the 82' Trans Am. What do I think they should use in the movie? Right now I have no suggestions. All of you have done a good job of that already. I'm just sitting back, watching, and trying to keep an open mind. There will definetly be things we'll want to change, but there will also be some pluses. :)

JennKitt 8)

nike2k
Volunteer

Post by nike2k » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:27 pm

If they did the right mods to a 4th gen firebird/trans am I think it would make a great new kitt. at least thats what i thought when i took my 88 trans am to a pontiac dealership afters hours last summer and did a side by side comparason. But the big ram-air hood could of forced my judgement alittle :D

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Post by Chuckysan » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:31 pm

I'm sure KITT's appearance was solely designed to appeal to Micheal Long.

After all, in the pilot, we gather that Wilton Knight had been keeping an eye on Micheal for a while, even to the point of stalking him somewhat. How else would he be about in the woods in a chopper looking for him. Also Wilton knew Micheal's personality very well to advise Devon of how and when Michael would leave. We also know KITT was at all know where near ready when Michael was shot, in fact Devon states that KITT would be ready "within a month". And of course, there's the fact the Michael Long owned a 82 Black TA, not a car you would see on every corner.

Hence I think Wilton redesigned KITT's systems into a form that would appeal to Michael to entice him to work with the foundation. Michael says it a few times, "this is my car" and "I know my car". Devon even states " the resemblance to your car is superfical". To me that says this form was picked on purpose. If KITT was in any other form, the odds would be that Michael wouldn't have even stuck around to see what KITT could do, and the foundation would have failed. Wilton knew what he was doing. Thank goodness Michael hadn't drove a 59' Studebaker before he was shot though :)

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:40 pm

Well.. as to numbers.. the '82 T/A sold 52,960 cars.. in '83 the T/A sold 31,930 cars, in '84 the T/A sold 55,374 cars, and in '85 the T/A sold 44,028 cars.. and REALLY drops off from there to an all time low of 2,507 cars in '90. But as to the car in the show...I like what Chuckysan had to say.. that brings up a VERY interesting spin on things.... hmm....
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

JennKitt
Volunteer

Post by JennKitt » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:05 am

And there you have it. The numbers never lie. In this case the new style may have had something to do with it. When a car is redesigned it's sales do go up for a few years, then trail off. That's why you'll see new designs come out every few years. I still think the show did have a small impact. Guess we'll see what happens with this movie.

JennKitt 8)

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:08 pm

I think a Dodge Viper, RTS modle, would look good for Kitt.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:09 pm

Ok, anything foreign....NO!

I know this is gonna pee in some Cheerioes, but Knight Rider was an american show with an american car. Let us at least keep that one little aspect since the rest of the world has gotten KR by the ton.

A Dodge Viper....no, because that would be infringing on Dodge's former infomerical show, it was perfectly fine to say that Viper was like Knight Rider. It is wrong in so many ways to make Knight Rider like Viper.

I still stand behind the 'Vette. It has stylings that are very similar to the Trans-Am of ole, and is still a very worthwhile vehicle.

KI

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:22 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Ok, anything foreign....NO!

I know this is gonna pee in some Cheerioes, but Knight Rider was an american show with an american car. Let us at least keep that one little aspect since the rest of the world has gotten KR by the ton.

A Dodge Viper....no, because that would be infringing on Dodge's former infomerical show, it was perfectly fine to say that Viper was like Knight Rider. It is wrong in so many ways to make Knight Rider like Viper.

I still stand behind the 'Vette. It has stylings that are very similar to the Trans-Am of ole, and is still a very worthwhile vehicle.

KI
You pee in Cheerios? Eew.

I think that a Ferrari Testarossa repainted jet black would look good on KITT. OR KARR. Yeah, KARR. Forget KITT, he can have the Chevette.

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:29 pm

A chevette??? ouch dude.... if you would have said the Chevelle.. maybe.. but the CHEVETTE??? Thats just harsh.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:29 pm

Ahem, I'd still be checking where I step or you will get reminded of....KITT is a Camaro?.... *innocent look, whistles*

KI

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:32 pm

A CAMARO?!?!?!? WHO? WHEN? WHY?!?!?!? HUH?!?!?!?
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:51 pm

Sorry, that was in response to Darendor's post, and other statements.

KI

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:56 pm

Hmm.. ok.. so it was a mistake that someone made in the past? That someone thought KITT was a Camaro? If so, Oh. There WERE quite a few Camaros in the show... and some people just don't pay that close attention to cars.. they are a lot a like....
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:48 am

Oddly enough, it seems as if many, many cars on the market, especially in the small sports-car market, have ready-made scanner slots in the nose. This first struck me in the oddest of places, when I was looking at the latest restyle of the Toyota Celica. Formerly, it had a small, square air inlet in the front fascia where the emblem was mounted. On the latest restyle, however, the front air intake looks a whole lot like a scanner light slot.
Example:

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:23 pm

You are perfectly right... lots of cars have them now... thats how I installed my scanner without cutting my nose to shreds.. there are 3 horizonal slots right next to eachother that the scanner fit behind rather nicely.... I've always wondered why they did this with the noses... hmmm.....
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:40 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Ahem, I'd still be checking where I step or you will get reminded of....KITT is a Camaro?.... *innocent look, whistles*

KI
I believe the precise quote was:

"I was just wondering what kind of Camaro KITT was?"

So there.

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:36 pm

Other than the obvious choice of a Pontiac Trans Am
I'd like too see KITT as a truly one of a kind automobile that isn't just a done up Pontiac, Ford etc....., maybe a concept car that never went into production.
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:43 pm

Some of those "nose holes" may be functual air vents... just be careful about blocking them!

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't think so in my case.. bacause I installed my scanner by drilling into the safety bumper behind it, so it wasn't really going anywhere.. and I didn't cover it up much.. the air still goes in.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:01 pm

K2000kid wrote:Other than the obvious choice of a Pontiac Trans Am
I'd like too see KITT as a truly one of a kind automobile that isn't just a done up Pontiac, Ford etc....., maybe a concept car that never went into production.
Doesn't that sort of sound like they did with KR2K, and blew the whole concept of KITT being able to ever go undercover? Here is this car that doesn't look like any other. Yeah, it is gonna raise attention when there are times that you don't want any.

KI