New KITT Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:08 pm

hmmmm i do like the car....but i think its to much of a peoples car to be KITT.

K.I.T.T

Karl Siniak
Recruit

Post by Karl Siniak » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:21 pm

i know, i thought that at first but isnt that what Kitt is meant to be? He's meant to be a car that doesn't attract too much attention, although the Trans-Am did a bit, especially the scanner, but you know what i mean. The K4000 was easily noticed, there was nothing else like it on the road. So if Kitt were a Monaro, it'd be just like when he was a Trans-Am, although i do prefer the pop-up lights :)

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:36 pm

The same car, with slightly different fascia, is the Pontiac GTO in the U.S.
I have no doubt that the new kitt will be customized whatever model it is, with at least be a modified fascia for the new Kitt, perhaps something more shizeled than the standard GTO nose. Considering that Revolution Studios works closely with Pontiac, and especially when you consider the fact that the star car in xXx was a classic GTO, I think it's a safe bet that we'll be getting Kitt as a GTO for most, if not all, of the movie.

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:16 am

Um.....NO.

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:17 am

Meaning I don't like this car.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:11 am

How about this (modified with added scanner) 1999 Trans Am . . . ?

(animated gif - filesize 335Kb) http://djgm.co.uk/stuff/k3000scan.gif

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:47 am

That black 'bird is beautiful, and quite possible, although less likely due to the fact that Pontiac wouldn't have a direct commercial tie-in. Personally, I'd prefer a T/A over a GTO any day, but in the end, everyone from the most powerful government figure to the humblest beggar ends up bowing to the allmighty dollar. :cry: :x

Karl Siniak
Recruit

Post by Karl Siniak » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:45 am

That Pontiac is so cool! I'd love to see Kitt as that in the movie. Even the wheels are cool, although maybe they should get the bowler ball hub-caps made for it. :D I just want some news of them actually deciding on a car to use, and then see pics of what the new Kitt will look like. However they may just leave Kitt until people see the movie to keep us in suspense. I just cant wait for them to start filming, then its just a matter of time :D

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:54 pm

I hope they DON'T use the new GTO.. I dunno.. I personally think it, like all the other cars they brought back, should have stayed dead.. it has nothing left from the GTO of old. Its not a GTO anymore.. its just a glorified Grand Am, and I don't like it.. but I guess, there are people that don't like the 3rd gen T/As.. so its all opinions...
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:53 am

To be honest, and I know you guys hate Ford, but I'd like to see KITT in a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss. Mustangs are a true symbol of American craftsmanship (not that I'm bragging that Ford is better or anything like that. It's just that Mustangs are a part of my life).

Plus, I don't see why they don't do what they did in the show: Use Pontiac Trans-Ams and not make mention of what kind of car it is (like they did after Pontiac asked them not to. It's not like they'd be promoting Trans-Am, seeing that the line no longer is in production.

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:48 am

KITTvsKARR wrote:I hope they DON'T use the new GTO.. I dunno.. I personally think it, like all the other cars they brought back, should have stayed dead.. it has nothing left from the GTO of old. Its not a GTO anymore.. its just a glorified Grand Am, and I don't like it.. but I guess, there are people that don't like the 3rd gen T/As.. so its all opinions...
I soo agree with you KvK. My ex just loves them old Goats and what they did to the LeMans :shock: well it just seems to me that whenever they try to bring back the classics it turns into a sick joke.

Cheri

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:21 am

YUp, the Le Mans, the GTO, the Nova, the Monte Carlo, the Thunderbird... etc.. NONE of them came back HALF as good as they were... *sigh*Since everyone seems to want to go back to the old times (The UNGLY Prowler and PT Loser) Why don't they just bring back the line of F-bodies.. you know start with the 1st gens and do them all over again.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... in the same bodies, same amount of years.. etc! I think that would bring back a lot of interest in the "Muscle, Sports Car" groups! What does everyone think?
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:24 am

And about the Mustangs.... they would have to find a lot of those in PERFECT condition, that would untimately end up as drink coasters, and those cars bring in a MINT, so it would be too expensive to do that for something like this. But if they WERE going to use some Mustangs... I agree that the 1st gens should be used.. I kinda have a personal attachemtn to the '67 Shelby GT500. :D But there is NO WAY that will happin in the movie either. Too many of them were destroyed in "Gone in 60 Seconds"
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:43 pm

KITTvsKARR- I figured I'd go ahead and say this to make sure you know... But for the making of "Gone in 60 Seconds", there were no real Shelby Mustangs used in the film. All the shots of Eleanor are 12 different '67/'68 Mustang Fastbacks converted over to appear as Shelby Mustangs, each for certain purposes. There was even a 13th one made after the film was finished, in which the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer, owns and drives.

However, it really depends on what kind of stunts that are used in the film. If you watch "xXx", you'd see that the GTo in that film had very little stunt action. HOWEVER, there is an upside to the idea of using '69 Mustangs... What is it? It's call scratch building.

For the TV movie remake of the 1971 film "Vanishing Point", the production company hired a guy who scratch builds cars from the frame up. And for the TV movie production, he made five/six 1970 Dodge Challengers for the film. The production company doing "Knight Rider", if they decided to use '69 Mustang Bosses for the film, all they'd have to do is hire a guy to scratch build as many as they think they need from the frame up. Also, as he would make them, it would allow the effects departments install the dash and scanner light into the car while he is building them. Problem solved: No real official antiques being smashed up for the film. Just recently built copies.

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:46 pm

Hmm... yeah I figured that they weren't actually Shelby's.. but they were still cars that got the *?$# kicked out of them... But about the "Scratch Building" I've never heard that term.. they just build a ground up copy of the car? How does that work? What kind of cost would you be looking at?
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:02 am

Well, that's what I can only describe it as, seeing that it is building something from scratch (the actual term "scratch building" is a word used by modelers when they create a new model kit that doesn't have any base to a model that is already out).

Basically, there are various street cars out in the world today that are built from the frame up. The end result can be a street rod of any kind, be it a '32 Ford pickup truck, or even a 1970 Dodge Challenger (as I made mention of before). They are like kit cars in a sense, only that instead of an existing car to build from, you are building a new car all together. Sometimes, a few people take the existing frame of the car they are going to build, some often use original cabs and various parts. The beginning part is always the frame and chassis. Then, the builder may work on an engine and from there work on up.

Here's a site that shows various '30s models streetrods being made, from concept to completion:
http://www.srbymichael.com/construction.shtml

Though I may be wrong about the car being built from the frame up, here's the page on the cars used in the TV movie "Vanishing Point" (middle of page, "Kowalski's Close Up). However, it does go to show that you can do amazing work to junkers (IF that is what they did).:
http://www.vanishingpointmania.com/challenger.htm

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:12 am

I see.. but what if a car doesn't have a frame to begin with? Such as the 3rd gen?
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Michael SS-R
Recruit

The new and improved KITT perhaps for the new movie??

Post by Michael SS-R » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:43 am

To appeal to the Fast & The Furious crowd:

:lol:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:14 am

Simple: You can make one.

There's a tutorial about how to build a frame on the website (the first address listed). Down at the bottom of the page.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:54 am

hmmm well an MX-5 isnt really even a fast and the furious car either (Miata if your american, eunos roadster if your from japan !)

cant see KITT ever being in one of them dude. its gotta be big, beefy and american !

Scott

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:43 am

No way man! :shock:

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:59 pm

Hmmm looks like a HerbieKitt *lol* sorry could'nt help myself :P :wink:

Cheri

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:10 pm

If I saw Michael and KITT pull up in that the first thing I'd say would be "Damn FLAG must be REALLY hard up for money." And then the second thing I'd say is "Looks like Michael having trouble riding in such a little car."

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:14 pm

Hehe, interesting. Nice image editing done there, the image itself looks pretty cool. Don't know if i like the miata as a choice for kitt though, looks a bit cramped.

Btw....welcome to the board. :D :D

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:25 pm

CK wrote:Hmmm looks like a HerbieKitt *lol* sorry could'nt help myself :P :wink:

Cheri
I second that!

KI