How I would repair the Franchise lineage and start the new feature film.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How I would repair the Franchise lineage and start the new feature film.

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:58 am

Fans have debated how the feature film should go. Some say all the spin-offs have damaged the timeline and say it needs to be a reboot. I want the new movie to be a sequel to the original series set in modern time. So if it was coming out right now it would basically be a movie based off of a Season 39 as if the original show had never ended. And you can fix the timeline by having Michael Knight starring David Hasselfhoff about to take on Devon's position and revive the inactive FLAG. He is so concerned about taking on the reigns himself and where he is going to take it that he has a series of 3 nightmares. NIghtmare 1 Knight Rider 2000 tv movie. Nightmare 2. Team Knight Rider. and Nightmare 3. Knight Rider 2008. Off of these nightmares and at the same time fixing the timeline he creates his vision. Id want him to still have the original Kitt as he last appeared in Season 4 complete with SPM and C Button. Hidden in the FLAG garage. He creates an all new KITT Knight Industries Ten Thousand in a Camaro body. And hires a new young character to take on the fieldwork. The new car and driver need help in the field so Michael and Classic Kitt race to the rescue. What do you guys think?

WhiteBird
Rookie

Re: How I would repair the Franchise lineage and start the new feature film.

Post by WhiteBird » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:08 am

I'm ok with all of that except for the idea of the Camaro. I don't like the Mustang they used in the 2008 series either. How about using the pontiac transam again, but use the last model year they made? I think it was like 2005?
I agree with you however, that the idea that Michael Knight would leave Kitt to be locked away in storage is a nightmare. Michael would have never left Kitt! that idea is ridiculous. whoever wrote that did not put much thought into it.
White Bird

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:21 pm

4th gen Trans-Am might look pretty nice as a "next gen" KITT, if the original 1982 KITT must be updated:

Played some Forza Motorsport 7 with my Xbox One S, took this photo and slightly edited it to look like 4th gen TA KITT :D

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 pm

A Camaro is a GOOD Idea. Nightmares and Michael Leaving KITT-WORST IDEA EVER!!!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:35 pm

I still remember some of the interviews David did, one was popcorn TV where David said Devon would be brought back as a hologram. Liked that idea We could do it as a blurry hologram like in the tv show Super Force. Hime taking over as the F.L.A.G. leader and on the board as a Knight Industries member would be nice feeling like F.L.A.G. needed to be resurrected in a time where crime is running rampant and the police are just over run. I had this idea if the tv series would return Michael would be driving home to the foundation estate, suddenly he goes to his bed room and says "kitt" and his room answers "Yes Michael?" Kitt's AI has now been installed as the foundations base of operations computer in each room in the estate. I've also had the idea for a very long time to have kitt installed in an updates 2000-2002 trans am body in one fan fic I wrote and a 2010 / current Camaro. The Camaro one is a combined work of both Nick Nugent and myself. Some of his ideas went into it but the artwork is mine.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:29 am

krrdr2010 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 pm
A Camaro is a GOOD Idea. Nightmares and Michael Leaving KITT-WORST IDEA EVER!!!
All I mean by the Nightmare or a bad dream is to. Make it appear that Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2008 were bad dreams that Michael has so we eliminate them from the franchise. Since most people didn't like them. Then just continue the new movie as a sequel al its own.

Just seems like some people might have been confused on what I meant by that.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:48 pm

March2875, your ideas are almost exactly what I have had in the works for years with my "Knight Rider Generations" novel that I'm in the process of writing. In fact, all the way back in 1998, when I was only 17, that was the first time I had thoughts about writing my novel and I started to come up with ideas of how to continue the franchise at that point, and I always thought that bringing Michael back as the head of FLAG made sense, with a new driver for KITT and new team to support them. And as much as I would love to see KITT be brought back in his original Trans Am body, the reality is that any modern incarnation would have serious problems doing that. Not only did Pontiac end up very quickly hating that people kept asking them for replicas of KITT instead of the normal Trans Ams that they sold, which soured their relationship with the franchise from that point on, but once the third gen models were no longer the current designs, it just wouldn't have made much sense to bring KITT back in that body. I personally ended up kinda liking the Mustang version of KITT in the 2008 series but I absolutely think that the best contender for a modern KITT would be a heavily modified Camaro, which is what I'm going with in my novel. KITT was always intended to be the car of the future and you can't have him be that without having his body also upgraded over time too.

Now as far as Michael having a series of nightmares that would explain away Knight Rider 2000, TKR, and the 2008 series? Interesting idea, but I like the challenge of trying to make everything fit together in one universe and actually, after all the research I've done so far, surprisingly there's very little in any of those 3 things that is very hard (or impossible) to not work around with creative writing solutions in order to make it fit. So my goal is that when my novel is finished, not only will we have a great new start for future stories with amazing characters and a fantastic new KITT, but all of the things we've seen committed to screen will also be canon and will all tie together as nicely as possible.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Great minds think alike. If GM is that set against the franchise a camaro can never be used either. That must be why Ford is always involved.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Well, I think things have probably changed somewhat by now. Pontiac only objected to the car being referred to as a 'Pontiac' or 'Trans Am' after tons of fans started going to dealerships and wanting to buy KITT, not understanding that the car was simply made just for the show and that Pontiac didn't actually produce such a car. That's why the references to KITT changed very quickly to just 'black T-top' because it was a generic term that they could get away with. Nowadays though, and given that the KR fanbase is such a niche community, I think if a new movie or series ever gets green-lit again, I could see GM possibly giving the thumbs up to using one of their cars as KITT. But rumor is that the Camaro is about to be discontinued in the next year or so, which would take it off the table anyway. And if that does happen, then I would imagine possible bodies for a modern day KITT could either go back with the Mustang again, maybe the Dodge Challenger, the Corvette, or it could just end up being a completely custom design that isn't based off any current production vehicle.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Assasinge » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:11 pm

KFCreator wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:35 pm
Well, I think things have probably changed somewhat by now. Pontiac only objected to the car being referred to as a 'Pontiac' or 'Trans Am' after tons of fans started going to dealerships and wanting to buy KITT, not understanding that the car was simply made just for the show and that Pontiac didn't actually produce such a car. That's why the references to KITT changed very quickly to just 'black T-top' because it was a generic term that they could get away with. Nowadays though, and given that the KR fanbase is such a niche community, I think if a new movie or series ever gets green-lit again, I could see GM possibly giving the thumbs up to using one of their cars as KITT. But rumor is that the Camaro is about to be discontinued in the next year or so, which would take it off the table anyway. And if that does happen, then I would imagine possible bodies for a modern day KITT could either go back with the Mustang again, maybe the Dodge Challenger, the Corvette, or it could just end up being a completely custom design that isn't based off any current production vehicle.
I think I end up in the minority here but seeing so many nonstop "Camaro" posts here, I really really dislike the Camaro's look and its sound and even speed quite honestly and these nonstop edits of it have driven me mad. And I'm gonna say it, I know most don't like it but I actually prefer the Mustang the best look myself. Originally I felt a Corvette most closely resembled the Trans Am's design (notably the front I'd say) but something didn't sit right with me about the back curves or whatnot. Anyway I actually didn't think the new KITT being a Stang was so awful, if they had made a much more "Darth Vader's bathroom" like interior for it and maybe but the 2000's processor in it I would have liked it a lot more myself. I don't really like the new Mustang designs much myself, I think a GT500 Super Snake is pretty mean looking and sports about 600 something bhp if I'm correct with a top speed of 200mph? Whereareas a 2008 Camaro SS sports rougly 400hp with a top speed of only 155. Anyway just wanted to say this nonstop circlejerk over the Camaro should really be reconsidered, although it's not like we'll probably ever get anything KR related new again (unless you count Hoff in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's zombies mode.)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Assasinge wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:11 pm
KFCreator wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:35 pm
I think I end up in the minority here but seeing so many nonstop "Camaro" posts here, I really really dislike the Camaro's look and its sound and even speed quite honestly and these nonstop edits of it have driven me mad. And I'm gonna say it, I know most don't like it but I actually prefer the Mustang the best look myself. Originally I felt a Corvette most closely resembled the Trans Am's design (notably the front I'd say) but something didn't sit right with me about the back curves or whatnot. Anyway I actually didn't think the new KITT being a Stang was so awful, if they had made a much more "Darth Vader's bathroom" like interior for it and maybe but the 2000's processor in it I would have liked it a lot more myself. I don't really like the new Mustang designs much myself, I think a GT500 Super Snake is pretty mean looking and sports about 600 something bhp if I'm correct with a top speed of 200mph? Whereareas a 2008 Camaro SS sports rougly 400hp with a top speed of only 155. Anyway just wanted to say this nonstop circlejerk over the Camaro should really be reconsidered, although it's not like we'll probably ever get anything KR related new again (unless you count Hoff in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's zombies mode.)
You're talking as though the car's top speed wouldn't have been modified by a Knight Industries Turbojet engine with afterburners. Let's not forget the tv series wasn't based in reality. If so kitt's top speed would have been limited to what a 1982 trans am engine typically could do which is 124 mph:

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make ... /1982.html

The knight 2000 top speed was 310mph in SPM. The Camaro would have been a great body to use and I think Glen Larson would have approved of it for his movie if he hadn't passedn.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 pm

Assasinge, I think that's being a bit harsh to the Camaro and to the fans like me who prefer it overall to the Mustang. I'll admit that when the 2008 backdoor pilot movie was announced and they decided to go with the Mustang, I wasn't a fan initially but the design are on me and I actually came to love it. Just because I like and prefer the Camaro doesn't automatically mean I can't also like the Mustang. And the current stock Camaro design does bother me in a lot of ways that the Mustang doesn't, but honestly it's nothing that, in my mind, can't be solved with some serious re-designing/modifying of the front and rear bumpers (which, incidentally, is exactly what they did with the original KITT anyway to make it look way different than a stock model). As far as engine performance goes, Knight Racer is correct that whatever the stock car comes with would be irrelevant compared to whatever engine the show runners would bake up in their imaginations.