Michael/Stevie timeline

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DaraSue
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Michael/Stevie timeline

Post by DaraSue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 pm

I've seen it referenced in fanfic that Michael and Stevie were engaged at the time of Michael Long's "death", but they never actually said that in the show, did they? It seems like Michael should have been more conflicted about staying with FLAG in the pilot if he had a fiancee waiting for him at home. I realize the out-of-universe explanation is that the Stevie character just hadn't been created yet, but is there anything I missed onscreeen in the Stevie episodes that contradicts the premise that Michael and Stevie had been engaged in the past but had already broken up (presumably due to Michael being "married to the job") at the time he got shot by Tanya?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Michael/Stevie timeline

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:14 pm

Didn't Michael tell Bonnie in the semi that he was engaged to Stevie when he had another life and another face?

DaraSue
Volunteer

Post by DaraSue » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm

I went and watched that scene in White Bird again (starts at about the 12 minute mark on the DVD) and he does say that but he doesn't actually say they were still together at the time he got shot. Hmmm...

[Edit: re-watching the rest of that episode just because the cat is on my lap and I can't get up. Around the 22:00 mark she does say "last time I was dependent on somebody I lost him." Another case of the pilot taking place in an alternate reality to the rest of the series?]

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Discrepancies happen all over the series. in episode 9 Trust Doesn't Rust Devon tells Michael that Wilton's company was virtually toppled by the very same people who left Michael for dead on the very same highway. Yet in the pilot, Devon nor Wilton mentioned them at all or what they did to Knight Industries tech. In Goliath we hear that Michael's face was restructured in Garthe's image but in the pilot it's mentioned by Devon that there's an uncanny resemblance to Wilton as a young man, no Garthe Knight mentioned at all. A son can resemble the father but not spot on like his current son Garthe. In season 2 a Good Knight's Work, Devon tells Michael that it was Cameron Zachary that headed the group of criminals and not Tanya Walker who said she's the boss when she's in the Comtron building towards the end of the pilot when Michael has a gun on her.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Confusing Isn't it?

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:55 pm

I totally agree that the inconsistencies within the show are maddening sometimes, and don't honestly paint Michael in the best light as a result. Perfect example is this discussion about Stevie. It wasn't until I was older and began to think about it where I went "Wait a minute -- if Michael was engaged to Stevie at the time he got shot, and if she meant as much to him as they establish later in the series, then why in the world wouldn't he have mentioned her or at least tried to contact her immediately? And furthermore, why in the world would he have then ended up getting romantically involved with SO many women in nearly every episode so soon after he becomes Michael Knight? Wouldn't it have seriously bothered him to just move on that fast? What would Stevie have thought if she knew he was still alive and he never tried to let her know AND he was out having all these casual relationship with other women?"

I know the argument can be made about "Well, it was a few months between the time he got shot and the time he left to go after Tanya and her gang, so that gave him time to kind of get over Stevie" and "Michael was obviously just protecting Stevie by staying away" but both of these reasons ring a bit hollow in my opinion. But then again, I seriously doubt they had even envisioned the storyline with Stevie back when they made the pilot and the first handful of episodes, which is why we end up with these kinds of inconsistencies. I know it wasn't intentional to make Michael look a bit like an a--hole, but by bringing Stevie in later on, they kinda honestly did.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

DaraSue
Volunteer

Post by DaraSue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Since she does say "I lost him" and not specifically "he died" I guess with some mental gymnastics you could interpret it as them having broken up before he got shot but that doesn't make him look really great either. Michael at best not being able to maintain a healthy work-life balance or possibly channeling stress about losing his partners into drinking and womanizing was presumably not the look they were going for, LOL.

If they were still together at the time he got shot, that also doesn't paint Wilton in the best light, conscripting a guy for his vigilante supercar project who was going to have to leave a loved one behind for it. Maybe the pain meds were affecting his brain!

luvKITT78
Stranger

Post by luvKITT78 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:43 am

David's girlfriend at the time Catherine Hickland actually wrote a 20 some page story that became "White Bird". She said she started thinking about what Michael Knight's life was like back when he was "Michael Long". So she wrote this story up with "Stevie" and pitched it to the studio and they ran with it. She said of course they took a lot of what she wrote but they ultimately wrote their own script. She said she tried out along with several other women for the part and she said she REALLY wanted to play Stevie because well she started the storyline. Lucky for us she did get the part. She told this story at Southern Knights when she was a guest there.