Knight Rider rights.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider rights.

Post by March2875 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Last official word we had on the Knight Rider movie rights was that it belonged to the Weinstein Company. Shouldn't that deal have expired by now and the rights reverted back to the Larson family?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am

David went to the Weinstein company about a decade before Glen Larson announced that he was working on a script for the movie. David said that they wanted them to do a KR movie but with the car not talking. David wasn't happy with that so it fell apart.

Decade later Glen finished his script or first draft but nothing happened because he past on shortly after.

Not sure if Universal has the still has TV rights and Larson family can only do a movie but I also don't know if technically streaming is a different form of media in which they can make episodes.

We really haven't heard any big announcement that David said he was told not to say anything because something will be announced soon. I think he did that just because he wanted to save face and not look humiliated because nothing is happening with KR lately.

YakForger
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by YakForger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 am

Okay, good to know.
It's sad that getting more Knight Rider looks unrealistic, with the rights being somewhere in the stratosphere and with disagreements about the plot lines, but when you look at the remakes, sequels and spin-off that are made these days, I don't think it's that bad after all...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:45 pm

The original series ran from 82-86. Since then there have been new shows trying to continue what man and one car began long ago.

knight rider 1981 -1986
knight rider 2000 1990
knight rider 2010 1994
team knight rider 1997 -1998
knight rider 2008 -2009
######## 2020 <------- Think we're overdue for another attempt.

KI2000PA
Volunteer

Post by KI2000PA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 pm

1981? Nope the original Knight Rider was 1982 not 1981

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:31 am

Wow, I can't believe I made such a typo and didn't notice. Well I do know it debuted in September 26, 1982.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am
David went to the Weinstein company about a decade before Glen Larson announced that he was working on a script for the movie. David said that they wanted them to do a KR movie but with the car not talking. David wasn't happy with that so it fell apart.

Decade later Glen finished his script or first draft but nothing happened because he past on shortly after.

Not sure if Universal has the still has TV rights and Larson family can only do a movie but I also don't know if technically streaming is a different form of media in which they can make episodes.

We really haven't heard any big announcement that David said he was told not to say anything because something will be announced soon. I think he did that just because he wanted to save face and not look humiliated because nothing is happening with KR lately.
That wasn't at the Weinstein Company, the studio that didn't want the car to talk was called Revolutions Studio, pretty sure they went under a long time ago.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am

Blowersho, you're right. It's been so long that i'm starting to forget the history of attempts to bring knight rider to the big screen. We were told a big announcement was supposed to be made and he should keep hush hush about the project a while ago. Haven't heard anything new even before the pandemic. Think David was just trying to save face and lay some groundwork so he doesn't have to talk about KR ever again.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am
Blowersho, you're right. It's been so long that i'm starting to forget the history of attempts to bring knight rider to the big screen. We were told a big announcement was supposed to be made and he should keep hush hush about the project a while ago. Haven't heard anything new even before the pandemic. Think David was just trying to save face and lay some groundwork so he doesn't have to talk about KR ever again.
I know, in the last decade it went from Justin Lin making a movie to the Hoff and James Gunn doing a Netflix series to the Hoff making a movie or a series and so on.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am

Don't we have until October of 2020 for David's big announcement? That's what I gathered from the interview. Then the pandemic hit. Not sure if that would delay it, or speed it up.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 pm

March2875 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am
Don't we have until October of 2020 for David's big announcement? That's what I gathered from the interview. Then the pandemic hit. Not sure if that would delay it, or speed it up.
Wait, we still think some big KR thing is going to happen at all after all these years? And yes, I think the pandemic is probably going to delay whatever we were supposed to know. But you know what, I've seen enough interviews with David in the past where he always teased something big about KR and then it never came to know where this one'll probably go as well.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:12 pm

I Hope to GOD that Glen's Family can get the Rights back-They should never have done this in the first place.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Only reason David said that he was told to not say anything anymore was because he wanted to save face. He said that he was told that there will be a big announcement soon but even before the pandemic, nothing came out about KR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-94dLMgyfU

That interview was February of 2019 and he's saying in a year something would be in theaters. He's made numerous attempts of bringing us KR back for years. I admire his dedication but at a certain point, you end up loosing hope that anything will happen. KR08 just might be the final footnote in KR's history.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

‘Knight Rider’ Feature In The Works From Spyglass Media & James Wan; TJ Fixman Scripting

EXCLUSIVE: Spyglass Media Group has teamed with Atomic Monster’s James Wan and Michael Clear to develop a film based on the 1980s classic action series Knight Rider. TJ Fixman, a former video game writer, is adapting the screenplay.

Created by Glen A. Larson, Knight Rider first aired on NBC from 1982-1986 and boosted David Hasselhoff’s career. It’s about a high-tech car named KITT that assists the mysterious crime-fighting driver Michael Knight (Hasselhoff).

The series amassed a significant cult following and spun more TV spinoffs, films, video games, books, and a Knight Rider convention known as KnightCon.

Plot details for this latest installment are being kept under wraps but we hear it will be a present-day take that will maintain the anti-establishment tone of the original.

Judson Scott will serve as executive producer.

As a video game scribe, Fixman wrote and developed Ratchet and Clank and Resistance: Fall of Man. On the film side, Fixman has sold a number of scripts Including One Night On the Hudson to Universal Pictures, Brotherhood of Magic to MGM, and Men Who Kill to Fox with Greg Berlanti producing and Michael B. Jordan starring. Most recently, he sold his original pitch Rogue to STX with David S. Goyers’ Phantom Four producing and feature pitch Legacy to Village Roadshow with Phantom Four producing. Fixman is repped by Grandview and Ziffren Brittenham.

Atomic Monster has upcoming Malignant for Starlight Media and Midas Innovation, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It for New Line Cinema, There’s Someone Inside Your House for Netflix, and Mortal Kombat for New Line.

Wan’s reps are CAA, Stacey Testro International, and Myman Greenspan Fox Rosenberg Mobasser Younger & Light LLP.
Source: https://deadline.com/2020/08/knight-rid ... 1203006206

Source seems very credible.