Knight Rider 2008 killed the KR Tv franchise

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt34
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 2008 killed the KR Tv franchise

Post by kitt34 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:29 pm

I Saw knight rider 2008 and it was a joke, everything about was implausible, idiotic and truly lame, even the mustang car was a joke
and the final climate sequence of that premiere was pathetic, the fbi shoots Michael to death, then after the black screen, he wakes up and there's no blood, just truly idiotic, even the CGI was terrible, I hated everything about that KR 2008, sure it continues the original series, but lacks the charm, edge and suspense that made the original KR amazing back in 1982, this KR 2008 was a disaster that it destroyed the once proud knight rider television franchise forever and there hasn't been a reboot nor a remake of this show since 2009 when the disaster called kr 2008 got canceled.

the original KR remains one of the greatest tv shows of all time, i'm not sure if Hasselhoff nor William daniels ever saw the rest of the knight rider tv franchise after the original ended in 1986 (KR 2000, Knight Rider 2010, Team Knight Rider, Knight Rider 2008) (although he starred in KR 2000), I think they might want to change the subject.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Re: Knight Rider 2008 killed the KR Tv franchise

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Did you watch the entire series? I agree that parts of the episodes (and the backdoor pilot) were cringe-worthy as far as dialogue, VFX, and plot go, but some episodes were really strong overall, and they tended to get better in the second half of the season.

IMO, it wasn't the 2008 series itself that got the franchise to go back into hibernation, it was that the fan base didn't show enough support for it. Even though the backdoor pilot was immensely successful as far as ratings go, it immediately split the fans into loved it/hated it and it was hard to convince the non-supporters that it had merit and should be given a fair chance. Once the series itself premiered, ratings just sunk pretty quickly, which is what prompted the "soft reboot" halfway through the first season. But that wasn't obviously enough to save it.

I'm convinced that had the series been greenly for a second season, it would have improved even more, it would have found its footing, and it could have gone on to become a truly worthy successor.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 am

I have to agree on KR Creator on this one. Some of the episodes were good but then again not every episode of knight was a winner either. there were some that were ok. from what I've read online, they planned to bring in some of the original series actors/characters once they fleshed out the new series characters. There was a semi in the episode with the bank robbery that would have been used as the mobile transport unit for KI3T similarly to how the original series did that.I did like the ending to the karr episode. It made you feel like they were headed in the right direction towards the end bringing back the original F.L.A.G. and not having to work under control of the FBI.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Making KARR into a robot was the worst part of KR08. Prove me wrong. Or the ridiculous transformation sequences.

Or the focus on governmental issues/FLAG being a part of the government. What happened to one man who makes a difference with this Firebird helping out the innocent, the helpless, and the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law?
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 am

WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Making KARR into a robot was the worst part of KR08. Prove me wrong. Or the ridiculous transformation sequences.

Or the focus on governmental issues/FLAG being a part of the government. What happened to one man who makes a difference with this Firebird helping out the innocent, the helpless, and the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law?
Long time no see buddy, hope you're doin' good. Anywho, I agree. In fact, I must say that entire KARR episode was probably one of the worst done episodes of the season. Why? Well, besides the whole KARR becoming a transformer crap, KARR hardly even got any screentime to showcase his evil side and abilities mirroring KITT"s like in the original and didn't feel very threatening or as, intimidating as he did originally either. Hell, I'll bet 20 and say KARR in the Knight Rider the Videogame I and II was better done than this one.

On the second point, that is another critical issue of the show as well I'm sure you're not the only one who agrees. I think the final episode tried to transition to that with the end sequences having just Mike and Sarah with the computer and KITT back there and no one else? But it was too late, they started it off with some poorly done government facility with FBI agents running around here and there and everyone being told what to do by higher ups and it was a huge bureaucratic mess. The pilot, did actually show some promise with KITT having nano technology and nothing more, but then Mr. Fast and Furious stepped into the director's role and gave us the middle finger and ruined it all.

So is it fair to say that KR 08' killed the franchise entirely? I think, the wording is a little harsh or overly done but I see where OP is coming from. If the show was this awful, then the fanbase was disjointed and quite mad about it and lost viewers. And if they lost a good chunk of the fanbase, then I think it is safe to say this may have basically killed any further possibility of anything KR related to happen ever again for years to come. I see no possibility of anything KR related coming on TV or in cinemas ever again anymore, it is what it is now and that's that. In my opinion, NBC shouldn't keep trying to revive old classics through lame reboots that always never work, just be original. Hollywood may be "rich, but it's creatively bankrupt."

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:39 am

Assasinge wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 am
WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:

Long time no see buddy, hope you're doin' good. Anywho, I agree. In fact, I must say that entire KARR episode was probably one of the worst done episodes of the season. Why? Well, besides the whole KARR becoming a transformer crap, KARR hardly even got any screentime to showcase his evil side and abilities mirroring KITT"s like in the original and didn't feel very threatening or as, intimidating as he did originally either. Hell, I'll bet 20 and say KARR in the Knight Rider the Videogame I and II was better done than this one.

On the second point, that is another critical issue of the show as well I'm sure you're not the only one who agrees. I think the final episode tried to transition to that with the end sequences having just Mike and Sarah with the computer and KITT back there and no one else? But it was too late, they started it off with some poorly done government facility with FBI agents running around here and there and everyone being told what to do by higher ups and it was a huge bureaucratic mess. The pilot, did actually show some promise with KITT having nano technology and nothing more, but then Mr. Fast and Furious stepped into the director's role and gave us the middle finger and ruined it all.

So is it fair to say that KR 08' killed the franchise entirely? I think, the wording is a little harsh or overly done but I see where OP is coming from. If the show was this awful, then the fanbase was disjointed and quite mad about it and lost viewers. And if they lost a good chunk of the fanbase, then I think it is safe to say this may have basically killed any further possibility of anything KR related to happen ever again for years to come. I see no possibility of anything KR related coming on TV or in cinemas ever again anymore, it is what it is now and that's that. In my opinion, NBC shouldn't keep trying to revive old classics through lame reboots that always never work, just be original. Hollywood may be "rich, but it's creatively bankrupt."
I've been better, lost my gramps last October in a accident and it's winter which automatically means I feel like *?$#. Long story about that one.

@topic: Even though KRTG and KR2TG aren't canon at all, they've got a arguably better plot than KR08. All that bureaucracy killed KR08 IMHO, FLAG is one thing, but having the FBI/CIA/actual government involved never made sense in a series where it's all about one man who makes a difference.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am

Guess all we have to look forward to now is the streaming series or the movie David is talking about. Think it was Gunn he said from guardians of the galaxy that was interested in making the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHnUVCsesG0

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Assasinge wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 am
WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:

it is just like the jaws franchise, the original was such a classic everything that went from ok to really dreadful (jaws 2, jaws 3d and jaws the revenge).
but one thing remains the same with knight rider as always as the late wilton knight rider (played brilliantly by the late Richard basehart), one man can make a difference.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:33 pm

A lot of people think that any type of reboot or continuation would tarnish the original great show. I don't know maybe a talking car really does belong in the 80's. The A-team never had a reunion movie but they did do a film with a new cast. I don't feel it was represented well. Lightning doesn't strike twice and KR had that great energy I enjoyed. You don't get that from shows today.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am

I don’t know if it actually killed the franchise,but what messed the 2008 series up was several reasons (this is just my opinion)

1.not having David hasselhoff (Michael Knight) return as a Devon miles character
2.focusing on the fbi instead of focusing on a man and his car (which they did focus later but was too late)
3.where was ki2ts AI ? What happen to him ?
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:26 am

I do have to agree with so much that is being stated, here.

And I was so glad when someone eventually saw that they had a very expensive show with a great opportunity that was going down the drain and tried to recover from it. But...if nobody was there to watch them even try to make a better show...it hardly matters at all.

I truly have to wonder what influenced them to go the way they did from the get go, though? Was it truly a product of it's time? I mean...getting their stars nearly naked because the car was on fire? Though, I think my 'favorite' was when they were trying to drive on manual at excessive speeds...and started posting pop up windows all over the main windshield...or was it an LCD screen of one? Since police ticket for just the use of a phone distraction, what's all the violations of pop up windows that block 70% of the view of the road worth?

Now, as a fan fiction, I may have wanted to give Kitt a co-seat body that could transform into a robot to aid Michael away from the road. But, even I thought that the way they handled robo-KARR was absolutely stupid.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat May 02, 2020 9:25 pm

james olden wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am
I don’t know if it actually killed the franchise,but what messed the 2008 series up was several reasons (this is just my opinion)

1.not having David hasselhoff (Michael Knight) return as a Devon miles character
2.focusing on the fbi instead of focusing on a man and his car (which they did focus later but was too late)
3.where was ki2ts AI ? What happen to him ?
I don't know about bringing the Hoff back as a Devon character, Devon worked because he already was established as a very Higgins from Magnum PI esque character who is very ornate and down to the middle about every little thing possible, and clearly lacked the energy to go out into the field and fight bad guys. Michael felt his opposite and there were many times were he just defied Devon for whatever reason, sometimes it added to the humor as well. But I don't see Michael today sitting behind a desk dictating what a new person(s) should do with a talking car if they had gone that route. I think he'd like to tag along somehow.

WhiteBird
Rookie

Post by WhiteBird » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am

I remember Josh and I watched a little bit of the 08 series. We did not like it and we decided it was not worth our time so we stopped watching it. It definitely could have been better.
White Bird

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 pm

David had some ideas of how it should have played out when he brought the idea to revive knight rider for a new generation. But they decided to go another direction.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:08 pm

KNIGHT RIDER 2008 DID NOT IN ANYWAY, SHAPE, OR FORM KILL THE KNIGHT RIDER TV FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!! I Like the Show a Lot. I wasn't given the opportunity to Expand on Things like these:How did Michael Knight and Susan Traceur meet? was Dr. Graiman a student of Bonnie? Was Garthe the reason why Mike Traceur used his mother's last name instead of Knight? All it would take is a Fan of it to work with David Hasselhoff and the Estate of Glen A. Larson, adapt it to the Fast and the Furious-type action that is cool today, and Find a network with the cajones to give it a chance and the Knight Rider TV franchise(Knight Rider Heroes, Perhaps?) and A Film Franchise will Ride Again. Look at Star Trek. Star Trek:Enterprise(Cool Show and I like it a LOT), Because it only ran 4 seasons some fans thought it had killed the tv Franchise-HOW WRONG THEY WERE!!!!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am

krrdr2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:08 pm
KNIGHT RIDER 2008 DID NOT IN ANYWAY, SHAPE, OR FORM KILL THE KNIGHT RIDER TV FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!! I Like the Show a Lot. I wasn't given the opportunity to Expand on Things like these:How did Michael Knight and Susan Traceur meet? was Dr. Graiman a student of Bonnie? Was Garthe the reason why Mike Traceur used his mother's last name instead of Knight? All it would take is a Fan of it to work with David Hasselhoff and the Estate of Glen A. Larson, adapt it to the Fast and the Furious-type action that is cool today, and Find a network with the cajones to give it a chance and the Knight Rider TV franchise(Knight Rider Heroes, Perhaps?) and A Film Franchise will Ride Again. Look at Star Trek. Star Trek:Enterprise(Cool Show and I like it a LOT), Because it only ran 4 seasons some fans thought it had killed the tv Franchise-HOW WRONG THEY WERE!!!!
your opinion, but i think KR 2008 was one of the worst sequel series i've ever seen and by far one of the worst tv shows of all time, definitely lacked the suspense of the original and the charm.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm

kitt34 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am
krrdr2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:08 pm
your opinion, but i think KR 2008 was one of the worst sequel series i've ever seen and by far one of the worst tv shows of all time, definitely lacked the suspense of the original and the charm.
I Donno I think kr 2008 was terrible but tkr (besides kro) was even worse
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Knight Rider 2008 and Team Knight Rider largely missed the mark by quite a bit in terms of being "good" compared to the original series, but they both had their moments where things lined up just right and showed that both COULD be good. In particular, with KR08 I think about the backdoor pilot movie, the touching moment in "Knight of the Living Dead" where everyone realizes KITT's AI is not just evolving, he's learning to value friendship and relationships, almost the entirety of "Knight to King's Pawn", and a good majority of the episodes in the latter half of the season that had really good storylines, better character development, and less cheesiness. I really think had NBC given a second season the green light, we would have seen even better quality episodes as the series finally found its footing.

I re-watched the entirety of TKR a few years ago, completely expecting it to be absolutely horrible, and I was very surprised at how watchable it actually is. Similar to KR08, it leans too heavily into some really unbelievable plot lines, characters, and fanciful technology, but it definitely had some pretty decent episodes. "KRO" and "Legion of Doom" are still their best episodes hands down, but I really liked how they would sprinkle in little tidbits in other earlier episodes that would tease some mystery that would then be touched upon again and again, just to keep you hooked. I really like series that do that, because as a viewer, you need a reason to keep watching, and mysteries are always a great way to keep you invested because we want those answers. And just like KR08, I think they left the series on one of the most massive cliffhangers of all time and had a second season gone through, it could have been so amazing to see where things lead. The show runners gave an interview very soon after the show had been canceled where they said that they had all sorts of ideas for season 2, including the return of the semi, bringing back David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight, bringing back William Daniels as KITT, and exploring more about who Mobius was (which they thought would have been Kyle's father).
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

ARTUROGT3
Stranger

Post by ARTUROGT3 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Knight Rider 2008 tuvo un problema enorme... pero no creo que en si haya matado la serie, la matamos los Fans que no apoyamos la franquicia, fue curioso ver a KITT 3000 en la faceta de aprendizaje, a diferencia del 2000 podría decirse que generaba de cierta manera un poco más de empatia, hago la aclaración de que me encanta el KI2T pero al ser casi sabelotodo y supremamente capaz hacia ver innecesario a Michael Knight (Hasselhoff) en algunas ocasiones, en cambio el GT500KR (KITT 3000) aun necesitaba aprender cosas y para el SI era necesario Mike o Sara...
Debemos detenerlo, KITT debe ser eliminado
Mi análisis indica que KITT es una posible amenaza, no voy a dejar que exista la posibilidad de que me desactiven de nuevo
Yo soy K.A.R.R!!! :karr:

Dr. Raoul Duke
Volunteer

Post by Dr. Raoul Duke » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:52 pm

I don't think KR08 killed the franchise any more than TKR did; even if the projects they're talking about now fall through, eventually someone will try to do something with the property again. It's a shame that it took the writers and producers of KR08 so long to figure out what they wanted the show to be about. Once they shed all the unnecessary characters and reactivated FLAG, the final five episodes were certainly closer to what people expected a new version of Knight Rider to be like. I wonder where they might have taken the show if they'd been able to have a second season?
Michael: You are about as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea.
KITT: I want custody of me!

ARTUROGT3
Stranger

Post by ARTUROGT3 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Para mi KR 2008 tiene falencias si... pero siento que es causa de que en ese año hubo la famosa huelga de guionistas que mató varias series entre ellas Knight Rider, fue un gran error que K.A.R.R haya aparecido solo 4 minutos en pantalla, tanto que hicieron por demostrar lo peligroso que era para tan poca batalla, sin embargo la serie toco aspectos interesantes, por ejemplo el aprendizaje de KITT y la relación que tenía con Mike y Sara