Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

Post by Assasinge » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:14 am

I don't think kitt_24 has gotten over the fact after all these years that the Trans Am simply isn't going to come back unless Jesus came down himself and performed a miracle. Pretty sure I even saw him complaining about this when KR 08 was going on too lol.

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

Post by snafu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:45 pm

...there's... lots of other cool cars out there? I didn't even think the last few Trans Ams were that great.

Keep in mind that, with the way corporations work, if a show/franchise gets involved with the big 3, it will turn into a giant sponsorship and branding. Or, even the big 5, if we included Toyota and Nissan. They might be better off either making something up, or bringing out a little-known brand out of left field.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:02 pm

snafu wrote:...there's... lots of other cool cars out there? I didn't even think the last few Trans Ams were that great.
Well yeah there are "cool cars" out there, though I don't agree with your last sentence, but I think the car that might most closely resemble KITT could possibly be the Corvette Stingray. Like uh, this: Image

But there are also others too, I'm just hoping that they go with a car that resembles the Trans Am in a modern way today of some sort. And maybe the dash could be something like this: Image

Or this: Image (yeah I found this somewhere from KRO)

And one last thing...I wonder if Justin Lin reads KRO and takes note of some of our ideas and is aware that we're hoping for something that isn't KR 08' like.

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Assasinge wrote:
snafu wrote:...there's... lots of other cool cars out there? I didn't even think the last few Trans Ams were that great.
Well yeah there are "cool cars" out there, though I don't agree with your last sentence, but I think the car that might most closely resemble KITT could possibly be the Corvette Stingray. Like uh, this: Image

But there are also others too, I'm just hoping that they go with a car that resembles the Trans Am in a modern way today of some sort. And maybe the dash could be something like this: Image

Or this: Image (yeah I found this somewhere from KRO)

And one last thing...I wonder if Justin Lin reads KRO and takes note of some of our ideas and is aware that we're hoping for something that isn't KR 08' like.

They need to stay with a third gen 82-92 trans am all they need to do is update the dash and technology or stay with the mustang kitt.
Yeah i know some of you will come on here and say the mustang sucks bla bla bla I don't care i like the mustang.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm not saying the Mustang sucks, I was fine with it. However, you constantly keep on insisting that they use the Third Gen Trans Am when you know very well that it simply isn't going to happen anymore, especially considering that their window of opportunity for that has passed quite a while ago. So please stop.

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:03 am

Assasinge wrote:I'm not saying the Mustang sucks, I was fine with it. However, you constantly keep on insisting that they use the Third Gen Trans Am when you know very well that it simply isn't going to happen anymore, especially considering that their window of opportunity for that has passed quite a while ago. So please stop.
Yeah i know they won't use it. Assaning i was not saying you said the mustang sucks.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:38 pm

I've always wondered, if the original KITT were to be in KR 08, but he still had these transforming capabilities and whatnot and the Hoff wasn't in it like he wasn't, would the series have faired better or worse?

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Coming from a technical stance:
My truck is an 02, and has had regular maintenence and all, and is going strong, but at some point machines get old enough that you're faced with "the big one" where a transmission or drive train craps out and you're going to drop about $3k... or, they stop making parts at the 15 or 20 year mark, and you start the fun process of retrofitting.
It would be rather bizarre to have a nearly 30 year old car (at the time of the 2008 series) zooming around and doing stunts, even if KITT had all the mechanics in the world at his beck and call.
Yes, yes, I do love the 82 trans am. I think about KR when I see one go by. (a rare sight)
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:45 pm

snafu wrote:I think about KR when I see one go by. (a rare sight)
There's actually a guy who owns a red Trans Am somewhere up North of me I see whenever I pass by his driveway so...so do I. Lol

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 am

Now one thing I'm hoping this new KITT doesn't look like is a gigantic tablet, glued to the dash board...

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 am

Assasinge wrote:I've always wondered, if the original KITT were to be in KR 08, but he still had these transforming capabilities and whatnot and the Hoff wasn't in it like he wasn't, would the series have faired better or worse?
Rumor once had it that had the series lived long enough, their car was going to morph into the Knight Two Thousand.

Alas, I think when the pilot had their stars undressing to the point of being almost nude...the series had made it's first fatal movement towards cancellation, anyhow.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:00 am

jup wrote:Now one thing I'm hoping this new KITT doesn't look like is a gigantic tablet, glued to the dash board...

Talking about real, current cars, I like integrated touch screen better than those which indeed look like a tablet screwed on top of the dash.

Modern take for KITT's dash I think would be indeed touch screens without physical buttons. Custom display for speedometer, rev counter etc. and includes the voice display in front of the driver :)
Turboboost buttons etc. also done by touch sensitive LCD displays and everything would be blacked out when the power is off. When on, the colouring should be thought carefully, maybe not as colourful as original KITT's LED's but not monotone bluish either as that Tesla dash panels.

Dashboard design should be resembling original KITT, center part tilting towards the driver for ergonomy, sleek and stylish design. As for interior design, hopefully there'd be some beige panels as well and not everything black. Seats with open headrest for that PMD look ;)

Air vents should be included also in the dash but designed the way they'd not be very distinctive, maybe when closed they could look completely smooth.
Overhead console should also be there as Knight Industries used to be a airplane company like Saab :)
One more thing came in my mind about Saab and Pontiac, we had a '76 Saab 99 in the 80's and it's front seats reminded me about KITT's because the headrests had similar style opening :) Here's a link to someones photo about similar Saab:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ba5038.jpg

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:20 am

KITTfan wrote:Talking about real, current cars, I like integrated touch screen better than those which indeed look like a tablet screwed on top of the dash.

Modern take for KITT's dash I think would be indeed touch screens without physical buttons. Custom display for speedometer, rev counter etc. and includes the voice display in front of the driver :)
Turboboost buttons etc. also done by touch sensitive LCD displays and everything would be blacked out when the power is off. When on, the colouring should be thought carefully, maybe not as colourful as original KITT's LED's but not monotone bluish either as that Tesla dash panels.

Dashboard design should be resembling original KITT, center part tilting towards the driver for ergonomy, sleek and stylish design. As for interior design, hopefully there'd be some beige panels as well and not everything black. Seats with open headrest for that PMD look ;)

Air vents should be included also in the dash but designed the way they'd not be very distinctive, maybe when closed they could look completely smooth.
Overhead console should also be there as Knight Industries used to be a airplane company like Saab :)
One more thing came in my mind about Saab and Pontiac, we had a '76 Saab 99 in the 80's and it's front seats reminded me about KITT's because the headrests had similar style opening :) Here's a link to someones photo about similar Saab:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ba5038.jpg
Why couldn't they just do something like this for the Knight 3000? The whole holographic projector thing wasn't even that cool, they could've still stuck with physical buttons but just slighyly futuristic style to it, and now that we're getting this the touch screen thing is alright but touch screen can be unresponsive sometimes (I know it's a tv show and etc. but I'm just sayin') so maybe physical buttons can still be used but in a more interesting way. And boy am I happy this forum is still alive.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Ooooooo....I just thought of something that would be 'next gen' in the world of touch screen. This could apply to both the real world and the movie/show world.

Touch Screen Gel.

OK. Here's what I am thinking. Touch screen is a very interesting technology that has seeped it's way into our everyday world. It can create buttons in any array on a changing basis, screen by screen.

However, you know what it doesn't do? 'Touch'. If you can't see the screen, you are nearly hopeless to work with the interface.

Now, right in front of me is a physical keyboard. Has these bumps to 'feel' out the home key position. Also, ATM physical buttons have bumps on them for the blind to work with. And, you know what you don't want to be doing while driving a car? Taking your eyes off the road to work with a touch screen. (At my place of work, they've switched over the hand scanner devices with a touch screen model. Letter keys are tiny and half the time, I go for one xx pixel button and activate the neighboring button. Or minimize the screen or do something else. Very annoying.)

But, even as I was reading this, I realized what the next upgrade needs to be. A thin layer that is transparent and sits above the screen. But, when charged with a tiny current on an X & Y basis, raises this tiny gel film upwards and gives that virtual button a texture to press into.

Like with this keyboard that I am working with. I don't need to look at it in the least. I can feel the edges of each button. Feel the button depress. Feel the home key bumps. The texture. It feels real.

A touch screen...doesn't do that. I would never want to use a virtual keyboard...if given the option. Because a touch screen works with the sense of sight for the most part. But the physical keys work with the sense of touch a little more then they do with sight.

I bet science can figure this out, too. Maybe, some kind of soft gel that is magnetically repulsed by a weak field behind the LCD, causing it to bulge outwards. Then, your finger presses it inwards. When the push from the e-magnet is gone, it remembers it's former position and hugs the surface, once more.

But, that's what the touch screen needs. 'Touch' interactivity. Because, when driving (especially driving fast and needing to turbo jump at a second's notice) your eyes should be on the road and your sense of touch needs to know where to go...rather then your eyes directing your hand and being a distraction.

Now in a Tesla/Google car on auto pilot, I suppose you can take your eyes off the road, all you want.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 am

Well isn't this forum just buzzing!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Keeping it real and keeping it living. That's always been the KRO way.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Classy.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 am

Hi guys,
Posting here after ages, yeah i came across the news.But to be honest, i am not that hopeful.Let's face it.Knight Rider has run its course.It has been flogged to death and just to milk the cow they resurrect it after a few years.Keeping that in mind it's just a news as of now, and the track record how successful other series has been (except the original) has been string of failures.So i doubt the sort of investment they'd make on this franchise. A full fledged movie may have been a viable option. But a new series again things look cloudy.I'd rather prefer the original version to be remembered as a classic than to produce these unsuccessful iterations.Interestingly, if you remember Doug Liman was labelled one of the producers for the 2008 series, but in reality he had little to nothing to do with the franchise and to me using Justin Lin's name as a producer may be along those lines, meaning no creative control.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Knight4life wrote:yeah i came across the news.But to be honest, i am not that hopeful.Let's face it.Knight Rider has run its course.It has been flogged to death and just to milk the cow they resurrect it after a few years.Keeping that in mind it's just a news as of now, and the track record how successful other series has been (except the original) has been string of failures.So i doubt the sort of investment they'd make on this franchise. A full fledged movie may have been a viable option. But a new series again things look cloudy.I'd rather prefer the original version to be remembered as a classic than to produce these unsuccessful iterations.Interestingly, if you remember Doug Liman was labelled one of the producers for the 2008 series, but in reality he had little to nothing to do with the franchise and to me using Justin Lin's name as a producer may be along those lines, meaning no creative control.
Not gonna lie, I do currently feel the same way. Now there is this one guy that I've been talking to and he said that they're considering things like SPM and the Trans Am and whatnot, but I'm not sure I really buy any of it. Let's also not forget that someone who directs Fast and the Furious is going to be rebooting KR. Let that sink in. Pretty sure if we get a Trans Am it'll have laser guided missile system and KITT will be able to fly and be doing ridiculous stunts. Guarantee it. Hey, let's look at our old friend GST. shall we? Hm. We've learned a lot. And I hope they have too.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Exactly. Knight Rider is 'then' science fiction/action. All about a self driving car with an AI that can 'think' in ways computers never could.

Today, we're seeing the coming of self driving cars and computers that can hold a conversation. Neither are quite as advanced as Kitt. But, we're closer then we've ever been. It's not cutting edge news and not futuristic and amazing.

HOWEVER...Fast & Furious Knight Rider will never go out of style. Extreme stunts and extreme action with a super duper self driving car that you can't just buy at the dealership for any amount of money. It's all in the way it's handled. And I don't expect F&F to start their extreme movie off with stars getting nearly naked to avoid roasting to death. It's all in the presentation. After all, there's a reason F&F is at number 8 after only one reboot. (Or...was there a number 9 just announced?)

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Well said. And let's be honest, I wouldn't mind certain stars getting naked to avoid roasting to death...;P

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Are there any news regarding this web series? I've been checking Google regularly for any news about it in since they announced it in October, but there's none.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:18 pm

No.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 am

Another thing hits me about how modern Hollywood works. We've been thinking in outdated terms of going with some kind of production line model car to stick KITT into. In today's reality, the "Real Knight Two Thousand" can be a basic green monotone shell on top of a super structure stunt car. Via CG editing, they can turn that bland nothing into any car shape they can dream up. Which can so easily escape the 'big 3/5' issue, completely. Make Kitt something so radically different and make people beg Ford/Chevy/etc to start making one of these things. After all, it's common to know around here about the issues that making a unique car for KR 2000 truly was. Back then, they had junk CG capabilities. Today, it need not be so. After all, a stunt car in a 'funny body' can be cheap to replace, every time you jump it. (Jumping in real life or CG? If done right, who cares. It's when it is done wrong...)

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 am

Can't wait for all the pissed off KR fans if that happens!