KI3T Builders - hood choices

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

KI3T Builders - hood choices

Post by GT500KR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:41 pm

I need some people help. I want to get a hood for my 07 Gt500. Really debating about the Trufiber or the SuperSnake hood for my car. I know the SS is more compared to Trufiber hoods.

Is there pros and cons of the hoods? How is the quality? anyone run into issues with the Trufiber hoods being ram air? etc....
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

lphill01
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KI3T Builders - hood choices

Post by lphill01 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 am

I guess the first question is are you trying to build a KI3T, or make your GT500 more aggressive/functional ram air. I have the Trufiber carbon fiber version with a scanner installed, and I love it. I say that now, but we'll see how much prep it will take to paint it. The pros and cons that I see are this- if you're going for functional ram air, the scanner will pretty much negate that, as it will block the scoop. The heat extractors still work great. For the Trufiber Venom- It's the closest replica on the market to an authentic KR hood. The downside is that the heat extractor vents open straight to the engine. This is a problem on my 4.6L with rain, but hopefully shouldn't be on yours since 5.4L engines have coil covers. I've heard the fiberglass version requires a fair amount of prep work to paint, but I don't know for sure. The other potential problem is that the extractor vents on the Trufiber are much wider than the KR, so you'll have to get narrower stripes to make it look right. As far as the SS hood, the leading edge of the ram scoop (particularly, the center divider) is much different than the KR, which could make problems when installing a scanner. Also, the heat extractor vents are sold as separate parts.

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krkitt1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 am

What he said.......... :good:

Knightphoenix1
Recruit

Post by Knightphoenix1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:48 pm

I have the trufiber hood the Super Snake style. Its great I get compliments on it all the time. I'm just still in need of a freak'n scanner.

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krkitt1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2wK6DG ... re&index=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is my car used in the video. Jason makes a great scanner!!!