What's the difference between a 1982 to 1992 Trans Ams?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJohnson
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

What's the difference between a 1982 to 1992 Trans Ams?

Post by JJohnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 am

I'm looking through eBay and various places nearby for possible Trans Ams, and I'm wondering what the differences would be in getting a 1982, 83, 84, or 85 vs. a 1991/1992 Trans Am for conversion into KITT. Are there any advantages to having a '92 car to start with, technologically speaking? From what I read there was some new sealant to prevent leaks in the t-tops used in the later 3G cars, but I'm wondering what I would gain by having a 'newer' 3G vs an 82-85 Trans-Am.

Thanks!

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: What's the difference between a 1982 to 1992 Trans Ams?

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 am

with the exception of the front clip (fenders/hood, front fascia) they are all the same sheet metal. the only issues you may have with the 90-92 cars is the airbag in the steering wheel. I have seen many KITT's made off of the later cars. the one big advantage of the newer cars is the engines are a bit more modern and have better fuel injection especially in the Trans Ams with the 5.7/350 cube V8s and ALL Firebird and TA with the 5.7 were automatics only (only the smaller 305 V8 and the V6 engines had a manual option).
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

jasper
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by jasper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 am

there are more small changes made throughout the years, so depening how accurate of how much you want to change. differences are like different seatbelt retractors, center console, cupholders in the doortrim. rear spoiler, rear lightning unit.

tuske427
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by tuske427 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 am

As mentioned there were changes to the cars each year, both aesthetic and mechanical. I could list a lot of them out for you if you're interested. It really comes down to how much work you want to do and how accurate you want your car to be. And your budget, too. You'll need a lot of parts- both interior and exterior from the 1982-84 cars if you want it to look right. (the first major face lift was in 1985)

If it were me I'd look for the best condition '82-84 car I could find and afford (rust free, solid interior, and preferably the right color interior parts). You will be much farther ahead in getting what you need. Engines are easy to swap and come by. original 82-84 parts are getting harder to find and more expensive every day as these cars are getting parted out and old GM plastic doesn't last forever.