ERTL AMT - Knight Rider

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MrSmith
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

ERTL AMT - Knight Rider

Post by MrSmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm

hi,
I'm just wondering if this one is worth getting, is it very well detailed?

Good model?

thanks
Attachments
knightrider.JPG
knightrider.JPG (88.14 KiB) Viewed 5684 times

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: ERTL AMT - Knight Rider

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 am

well it is easy to paint as it is molded in gray plastic but the windows (as well as the t tops) are clear not smoked like the 80s issue. Also even tho the box art shows it the model is based on a revised tooling of the MPC later AMT trans am body so it is missing the front fender extractor vents (the front fenders are smooth) and you have to sand off the 'firebird' emblem off of the 'C pillar (the part that separates the side door glass with the hatchback) and the TURBO TRANS AM scripts on the front fenders, and I BELIEVE you have to sand off the side molding strip that runs from the back of the front fender to the front of the rear fender.

if I were you I would try to track down an earlier MPC version of the model, but FYI it was issued 3 different times, once in 82/83 when the show came out, once in the late 80s, and then the current issue from about 5-8 years ago, NOTE the late 80s version is also missing the front fender vents that is the ONLY difference between the 1st issue and the 2nd issue. if you want to make sure you get a 1st issue KITT look for a box that has the 'golden wheels' promotion on the side (has a picture 4 black/gold wheels that were used as points to get free models from MPC).

If you do not care about the missing front fender vents then get the current issue, the gray plastic IS easier to paint (especially when painting the interior, tan paint over black plastic is a bitch unless you use primer first). as for the t tops, just brush a coat of black paint on the under sides of the panel let them dry than place them on the body when the model is built. If you have any questions on KITT models (I have built many 80s KITT models over the last 30 years).

Dave

PS: this is what the 1st issue of KITT model looks like, I have one of them so I know what they look like:

first issue KITT model kit
Last edited by Dave Knight on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am

instead of editing I will just reply, the model IS nice but not as detailed as say the more modern Aoshima cars from Japan. The parts that make up KITT are all nicely represented, it has the dash, switch pods, gull wing wheel, lower console and the nose and scanner (FYI scanner part is part of the body shell, and will have to be painted red before gluing the nose onto the body), the only thing I hated on these models (including the reissue) is they put the words KNIGHT 2000 in raised lettering on the middle of the front nose that will need to be sanded off before painting. Also the KNIGHT plate on the back is molded into the rear bumper, you CAN paint it but I prefer sanding the bumper smooth and getting a decal of the plate in scale there are guys that sell the correct KNIGHT style plate as decals in various scales on ebay this guy sells them for example.

PS, here is a link to a thread where I talk about all the little steps that make this model 'pop'.

how to detail paint and build a 80s KITT model kit

if you have any questions feel free to ask ;).

Dave

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 am

Thanks Dave for taking the time to make such a long and detailed post, much appreciated, thanks.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 am

That's funny, I got that car as an assembled version. When I was a kid, I used to exchange model cars with a friend at school, and he got me that. Not bad, considering I traded it for a 1:43 Porsche 959 :P

The model is pretty accurate. The se1 dash has all it's buttons and meters which aren't just decals, but 3-dimensionally sculpted! The seats are still stock Trans-Am. Mine also came with Firebird wheels... Mine isn't painted well, only the body is painted in glossy black. The rest is, so to say, untouched. But considering the age of the model having that accuracy, it's really worth taking a closer look.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 am

yeah it is a nice kit (no pun intended) it has a lot of detail as the other poster said the details on the dash are raised detail not smooth I wish they had decals for the surface areas like the bigger scale KITTs. I like that it has working pose able steering, you can pose KITT with his wheels straight, turned to the left, or turned to the right. One thing I forgot to mention the rear lens that makes up the tail light panel has textured engraving on one side I always glued that side to the body so the panel is all smooth and etching free.