Super Pursuit Mode

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MrSmith
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Super Pursuit Mode

Post by MrSmith » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:20 am

Do you think that Super Pursuit Mode would actually make KITT much less aerodynamic that normal mode?
All the bits and pieces popping out would cause considerable drag on the car at high speeds

Just a random thought that came to mind.

apart from the body work all popping out, what gave KITT extra boost in SPM mode?

I can't remember

is it extra turbos or something?

blowersho
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Super Pursuit Mode

Post by blowersho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

MrSmith wrote:Do you think that Super Pursuit Mode would actually make KITT much less aerodynamic that normal mode?
All the bits and pieces popping out would cause considerable drag on the car at high speeds

Just a random thought that came to mind.

apart from the body work all popping out, what gave KITT extra boost in SPM mode?

I can't remember

is it extra turbos or something?
Top side aerodynamics are used to generate downforce with the penalty of increased drag. When KITT was in SPM mode underneath the rear lights were a bunch of little red things that were supposed to be some sort of "boosters". I think the logic was that the boosters give a huge increase in speed and all those parts popping out helped to keep KITT on the road. In reality the only way to increase downforce without increasing drag is to sculpt the bottom of the car but that would never create the excitement that SPM was supposed to. I always hated SPM, I found it to be unnecessary and over the top.

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the response.

The only thing I hated about SPM was that they did a stock footage scene and used that over and over again

like even if KITT was inside a warehouse it still showed the outside SPM mode scene

LOL

but yeah apart from that I didn't mind it.

chin-up-27
Recruit

Post by chin-up-27 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:08 pm

SPM itself didn't bother me, it was more the long drawn out sequence EVERY time it was launched..it felt like a 15 second sequence of stock footage. If it had just been a button lighting up like turbo boost or maybe a 5 second sequence it wouldn't have been so bad.

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Some parts of SPM actually make aerodynamic sense - raising the top blade of the nose would be useful if you could adjust its position. The bottom spoiler at the rear was also a good call.

Fact is, the regular KITT shape wouldn't have worked mighty well at SPM speeds. It may not have been perfectly executed, but SPM had some grounding in automotive science, even if it was designed to simply look "cool".
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

ACKERLY
Volunteer

Post by ACKERLY » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am

Hi all,I think the regular KITT shape wouldn't have worked mighty well at SPM speeds. It may not have been perfectly executed, but SPM had some grounding in automotive science, even if it was designed to simply look "cool".
http://automotivepartswarehouse.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarylKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DarylKnight » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 am

Actually, the stock lines of that Trans Am were very solid, and one of GM's best in Aerodynamics. Real Salt Flat drivers have used the 3rd Gen Firebird to achieve speeds from 260 - nearly 300 mph. These speeds were clearly spm speeds, and the mods to the cars are actually quite small in the grand scheme of body design. The SPM mods were definitely not needed for increased aerodynamics. Enjoy this read as an example! :good:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/ ... _trans_am/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Well, according to that article:
with the front end getting very light at 290
...they had some issues.
The changes they did make (which weren't insignificant) included lowering the car, something which didn't seem like an option on our favourite.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song