KITT: "He" or "It"?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurboBoostMan
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KITT: "He" or "It"?

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:42 am

Is KITT technically a he, because he/it can talk, think, has a personality, and can get around by himself? Or is KITT an it because he/it is a "car" and is not technically a living thing?

KITT Conversion
Rookie

Re: KITT: "He" or "It"?

Post by KITT Conversion » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 am

Personally, I think he's both (if that's possible). Because he's a car, but he can talk and has a personality.
I also say he's an "it" because if he was a "he" he would be able to feel emotions, and he states throughout he has a "feeling" and Michael says, "You don't have feelings KITT"

KC
KITT: Forget my body, where is my Random Access or my graphics board? I can’t even play a round of Pac-Man in here.
:spmgo: :kittconv2:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by james olden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:13 pm

TurboBoostMan wrote:Is KITT technically a he, because he/it can talk, think, has a personality, and can get around by himself? Or is KITT an it because he/it is a "car" and is not technically a living thing?
I would say both because in many t.o.s. episodes when bonnie,devon,april,rc3 or michael speak about it they would say he instead of it.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:41 pm

I think of kitt as a he but he doesn't get around all by himself.Kitt's just the computer that runs the knight 2000 vehicle.Think of it less of kitt as a brain and the knight 2000 as a body and more of them being 2 seperate peices of hardware that were connected to work together.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Except that in Junkyard Dog, it becomes apparent that KITT is the sum of all his parts. Being able to recreate the parts wasn't going to guarentee that Michael would get his buddy back, so KITT's personality is obviously an extremely complicated symbiosis between mind and machine. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Yes but in soul survivor all they had to work with was kitt's cpu and thats all they needed to make him "portable".

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:53 am

Indeed, but when KITT was portable, his personality was significantly affected. For all intents and purposes, the personality we'd come to know was there in name and memories only. His voice was meek and his confidence lacking.

The difference between the mind along, and the mind and machine combined was more than palpable, and shows that much like human beings knowing ones selves, KITT is indeed the sum of all his parts; pursuit mode (sprinting), turbo boost (long/high jump), auto cruise (going for a walk alone) etc. breeding confidence within. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?