Ernest Borgnine dies today, aged 95

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Ernest Borgnine dies today, aged 95

Post by Matthew » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm

http://us.cnn.com/2012/07/08/showbiz/obit-borgnine/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 wrote:
(CNN) -- Film and television actor Ernest Borgnine, who won an Academy Award for his portrayal of a lovelorn butcher in 1955's "Marty," has died at age 95, his manager said Sunday.

The thick-set, gap-toothed Borgnine built a reputation for playing heavies in early films like "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock." But he turned that reputation on its head as the shy, homely title character in "Marty," taking home the Oscar for best actor -- one of four awards the film claimed.

Born in Connecticut to Italian immigrants, Borgnine -- originally Ermes Effron Borgnino -- began taking theater classes after serving in the Navy during World War II. He had joined the service after graduating from high school during the Great Depression and had been discharged in 1941, but re-enlisted after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor launched the United States into World War II.

He made the move to films and then television in 1951, racking up more than 200 credits in projects ranging from the era of live television drama to the children's cartoon "SpongeBob SquarePants."

He starred in the 1962-66 sitcom "McHale's Navy," was one of the original celebrities on the game show "The Hollywood Squares" and played William Holden's right-hand-man in Sam Peckinpah's revisionist Western "the Wild Bunch." He also was a regular on the 1980s television drama "Airwolf" and a frequent guest star on a variety of shows.

In addition to his Oscar for "Marty," Borgnine was nominated for three Emmys -- the most recent in 2009, for a guest spot on the hospital drama "ER" -- and won a life achievement award from the Screen Actors Guild in 2010.
Hi guys,

Knowing that a great many of you are fans of film and television in general, I'm afraid I have to let you know that Ernest Borgnine has passed away today, aged 95. His long life included countless credits that included his roles as Sheriff Lyle Wallace in Convoy, and the lovable Dominic Santini in Airwolf.

As a serviceman during World War II, he has the distinction of not only been a legendary figure, but also a genuine hero, so I'd like to propose a toast to one of the truest gentlemen our TV sets could ever hope to let us know.

Here's to you, sir. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Ernest Borgnine dies today, aged 95

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Wow hard to believe Santini is dead.He was great in Airwolf.That's all I can remember him for.He made it to the ripe old age of 95 too.Admirable,he almost made it to 100.

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I'll remember him most from 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

We've lost both Andy Griffith and Ernest Borgnine in the same week. Sad :/
If you'd be so kind as to put me down.

Down?

My dear, I'm a car. Not a plane.

Tbird100636
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Tbird100636 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

RIP Ernest Borgnine. So who's next??? I'd say Mickey Rooney would be.

kitt1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by kitt1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 am

I was lucky enough to meet Ernest Borgnine at Dragon Con last year. What a fantastic guy! One of the best celebrity encounters I've ever had. He always took extra time with each person in his autograph line to ask about them. I was also impressed by his panel talk on that Saturday. I got to ask him about one of my favorite films he was in, FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS