Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by snafu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 pm

I wonder how many people went to college and were let down when they figured out that no one *offered* them drugs, as Reagan/DARE drilled into us. That stuff costs money, as Michael and Kitt finely demonstrate in the video.

ETA: Dammit, of course this goes on the next page so there's no context.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:19 am

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 am

Wow, you guys seem really thrilled to talk about the green stuff.
Now I know what everyone is doing when they're internet surfing.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 am

I just happen to know a couple who love green stuff. That and the fact that kids my age make green memes.

Green memes.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:31 am

snafu wrote:Wow, you guys seem really thrilled to talk about the green stuff.
Now I know what everyone is doing when they're internet surfing.
At least Michael N̶i̶c̶h̶t̶ Knight doesn't approve of drugs:

Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 am

I showed that to kids in my video production class and they could 't stop laughin at it.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Ah...the 80s. When nobody would rise up and protest about animal testing that admits to offspring death because of the medical practices.

They really went all out on that set location. Is that like the parking lot of Hollywood Studios or just some random on-scene location after a whole day of filming? Even David's personal letters to married newlyweds has more pleasant backdrop scenes.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Awesome. Do an anti-drug at in a back parking lot that looks like a place where you'd go to buy drugs.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Trump would approve. He'd make a commercial against sexual harassment in a van with women.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 pm

It's awfully quiet in here and the site hasn't been updated, how's progress Ken?

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

that is what i want to know.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Checked it out, last night. Still reads 0:00:00.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

i know. I always check also and he should have added more time.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 am

I'm working on the site as we speak. I mostly finished up my clients website just a shy of a week ago. I have a few odds and ends to finish on it tonight and then on to mine full time.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 am

msKEN wrote:I'm working on the site as we speak. I mostly finished up my clients website just a shy of a week ago. I have a few odds and ends to finish on it tonight and then on to mine full time.
That's good to know. Thanks for providing an update Ken.

AppleMacri1980 wrote:should have added more time.

Um...yup, we'll add more time onto the timer so we can countdown again while we wait for the site to go up!

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:14 am

how is it coming?

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed May 10, 2017 10:34 am

Slow on the website, we're finalizing some character art that we need for the website design itself. On top of that both Daan and I have things going on in our personal lives. My daughter graduates high school in 2 weeks so we're busy preparing for that and Daan is just swamped in hours with his real job but we're committing every bit of free time we have to this as usual. :)

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Wed May 10, 2017 6:24 pm

msKEN wrote:Slow on the website, we're finalizing some character art that we need for the website design itself. On top of that both Daan and I have things going on in our personal lives. My daughter graduates high school in 2 weeks so we're busy preparing for that and Daan is just swamped in hours with his real job but we're committing every bit of free time we have to this as usual. :)
"Coming This Lifetime" surely is true! But when it does come out, this fan game's bound to be AWESOME!

AFTON ROBOTICS
Recruit

Post by AFTON ROBOTICS » Fri May 12, 2017 8:36 am

It would help you alot if you would make this game early access on a site like gamejolt because then you get proper feedback on the game and at the same time you would not have people from everywhere pushing you to get it out there
and in the case that you want the story to be secret then just make the early access sandbox only
PS may i ask what KR cars a supposed to be in this game

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 am

AFTON ROBOTICS wrote:It would help you alot if you would make this game early access on a site like gamejolt because then you get proper feedback on the game and at the same time you would not have people from everywhere pushing you to get it out there
and in the case that you want the story to be secret then just make the early access sandbox only
PS may i ask what KR cars a supposed to be in this game
Afton, Ken is very afraid of getting a C&D letter, nobody would want that do we?

That said, he always could go underground and release it on some grey-area site like 8chan where no one gives a fuarrrk about copyright claims 'n sh*t. Or any of the >9000 imageboards out there.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri May 12, 2017 1:10 pm

As said can't really go that road with a fan game. As far as cars? Way too many list. So far with different variations and combos there is about 120 american cars, trucks, vans, and semis that are era correct. 20 of which are star cars from other famous t.v. shows and movies. Sadly we made them without interiors because at the time they were modeled when the game was much smaller in scope. One day we're going to change that but most likely not until the game is closer to release. After all Michael doesn't steal cars but we'd still like to let him "borrow" parked cars. The only three cars really out of place in 1987 is KI3T (unlockables), KRO, and KIFT. Once the website is back up you'll be able to see each car on the website wiki.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Out of place cars? Oh, we can have a remedy to that one from the land of Hollywood. Throw a little Sliders action in and...boom...the three thousand, KRO and KIFT were pushed in from alternate dimensional Earths. ;P (A whole lot cleaner then some time travel plot device. But, less petite then..."Just accept it. They are there...somehow."

Besides, there are some pretty easy 'round-a-bout' methods towards legality on the copyrights. Since 'Words" can be copyright, there can be a Mad Libs approach to naming the characters. Outright naming the game "Knight Rider" is a thousand times more of a bulls eye for any legal types to lock in upon, if they're going to cause you any grief. So, have a code name ready. Things like that.

Reminds me of a little, harmless NBC show from a few years ago. Made people very upset and go up in arms. Wrote whole letters to ban the show and launch protests of other varieties. Their efforts got the show taken off the air. When asked about having actually seen the show...well...most had to admit they never watched a single minute of it. Just the one sentence that made up it's name was too offensive to possibly exist.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri May 12, 2017 3:23 pm

There was actually a pretty good reedit AMA with a very popular video game attorney Ryan Morrison. While good for the information that was shared, very disappointing and devastating for the future of our project. He's pretty much confirmed NBCUniversal can ruin my life at any moment. Even though I've talked to people at NBCU it doesn't matter. The fact alone the gentlemen I spoke to is no longer working there in the legal team since 2015 doesn't help my cause either. Ryan Morrison advised I drop this project like a hot potato and that they (NBCU) can literally destroy me and the project and I'd be forced to sign an NDA and never talk about it again all the while being in debt to NBCU for up to 20 years. I don't think that's worth the risk for me or Daan for that matter. Can read the discussion over here:

https://www.reddit.com/user/VideoGameAt ... life_free/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... e/dheb0gc/

This kind of changes everything as far as I'm concerned. Further more I can no longer claim ignorance of the law when its now spelled out for me in black and white. We're here joking about changing the game quite a bit to avoid being sued, well I'm afraid if I want to keep going on with this project that may be my only choice. I'm going to take some time to think about this. I advise others to check out those links above, if reading isn't your thing they sum it up in this video.

http://theknow.roosterteeth.com/episode ... s-him-down

Open to suggestions and ideas from you guys. I honestly don't understand how its legal to mod another game and it be fine, but a fan game is just off limits.
Last edited by msKEN on Fri May 12, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AFTON ROBOTICS
Recruit

Post by AFTON ROBOTICS » Fri May 12, 2017 3:25 pm

msKEN wrote:As said can't really go that road with a fan game. As far as cars? Way too many list. So far with different variations and combos there is about 120 american cars, trucks, vans, and semis that are era correct. 20 of which are star cars from other famous t.v. shows and movies. Sadly we made them without interiors because at the time they were modeled when the game was much smaller in scope. One day we're going to change that but most likely not until the game is closer to release. After all Michael doesn't steal cars but we'd still like to let him "borrow" parked cars. The only three cars really out of place in 1987 is KI3T (unlockables), KRO, and KIFT. Once the website is back up you'll be able to see each car on the website wiki.
i dont want to sound like a demanding #*@hole but i wanted to ask is there also going to be the other tkr cars in the game
and also i wanted ask is as far as i know there are going to be all season versions of kitt and karr in the game are you also putting the pilot one in there? and if yes also the voice box that has the knight 2000 lettering on it along with the same one that dosnt
if you think putting the game out as early access would get it take down how it be any diffrent when the full game is out?
PS i really like the fact the you made up a story in between kr 1982 and kr 2008 and not use the real timeline while at the same it would have been cool if you would have but hey your story is still awesome

AFTON ROBOTICS
Recruit

Post by AFTON ROBOTICS » Fri May 12, 2017 3:31 pm

msKEN wrote:There was actually a pretty good reedit AMA with a very popular video game attorney Ryan Morrison. While good for the information that was shared, very disappointing and devastating for the future of our project. He's pretty much confirmed NBCUniversal can ruin my life at any moment. Even though I've talked to people at NBCU it doesn't matter. The fact alone the gentlemen I spoke to is no longer working there in the legal team since 2015 doesn't help my cause either. Ryan Morrison advised I drop this project like a hot potato and that they (NBCU) can literally destroy me and the project and I'd be forced to sign an NDA and never talk about it again all the while being in debt to NBCU for up to 20 years. I don't think that's worth the risk for me or Daan for that matter. Can read the discussion over here:

https://www.reddit.com/user/VideoGameAt ... life_free/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... e/dheb0gc/

This kind of changes everything as far as I'm concerned. Further more I can no longer claim ignorance of the law when its now spelled out for me in black and white. We're here joking about changing the game quite a bit to avoid being sued, well I'm afraid if I want to keep going on this that may be my only choice. I'm going to take some time to think about this. I advise others to check out those links above, if reading isn't your thing they sum it up in this video.

http://theknow.roosterteeth.com/episode ... s-him-down

Open to suggestions and ideas from you guys.
well the only thing i could think of to change the game and not get sued is if it would only have the kr cars with all of there stuff and a map and keep it at that because that would make it look like a gta mod but at the same time it would be 10000000000 better then gta
but that would mean having done all the other stuff for nothing
but it would leave you open to using the non kr stuff in a other game wich since it would not be kr you make mony with that one
tell me would you think?