Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jim010
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by jim010 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:02 am

Can't we just show the troll the door?

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightdriver » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:51 pm

KnightRiderKITT1982 wrote:
knightdriver wrote:This guy is busting on all your hard work yet he probably doesn't even have enough talent to tie his own shoes.

Luckily he gets out of the house at least one day a week so his mom can run down to the basement to change his bed sheets.

Keep up the great work guys! Game looks great!

When the game is released and it doesn't feel like KR, do not bother complaining about it.

BTW, I can tie up my shoes perfectly.

Speaking of which, what's your talent?

Taking a TV show and rip it to pieces by taking away things that made the TV show famous in the first place?
What's my talent? Wow, you are a newb, aren't you. :roll:
Brian - Knightdriver.com

KnightRiderKITT1982
Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKITT1982 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 pm

knightdriver wrote:
knightdriver wrote:This guy is busting on all your hard work yet he probably doesn't even have enough talent to tie his own shoes.

Luckily he gets out of the house at least one day a week so his mom can run down to the basement to change his bed sheets.

Keep up the great work guys! Game looks great!

When the game is released and it doesn't feel like KR, do not bother complaining about it.

BTW, I can tie up my shoes perfectly.

Speaking of which, what's your talent?

Taking a TV show and rip it to pieces by taking away things that made the TV show famous in the first place?
What's my talent? Wow, you are a newb, aren't you. :roll:

Least though I can respect a TV show, what can you respect?

KnightHawke24
Volunteer

Post by KnightHawke24 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:31 am

I don't post on here often, but I do check the site regularly. One of my favorite things to do is see how everything is coming along with "The Fan Game". I cannot believe someone is on here bashing the great efforts of other fans.

First off... "Knight Rider's legacy will be ruined. once this game is released."
Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were at least three other Knight Rider games relesed before this one (Nintendo's Knight Rider, Playstation's Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2), and none were all that great. However, I don't believe the Knight Rider legacy was affected at all by those games. The fact that games are still coming out long after the show left the air speaks for itself.

Secondly, if you had so much respect for the Knight Rider series, I would think you would also respect the notion that "one man can make a difference". In following Ken's progress, I know that he has put a lot of time and effort into coordinating with other fans in order to give the game a true Knight Rider feel in order to make it a true fan game.

Finally, if you don't like the game when it's done... don't play it.

Ken -- keep up the outstanding work in driving your crew to completing the game us fan's can be proud of. I give you much respect for the time and dedication you've given the project. The only thing I would caution you about is not releasing the game until it is done to your satisfaction. Don't let bashers or impatient people push you to releasing the game before it's ready. Best of luck!

Stavros_Knight
Stranger

Post by Stavros_Knight » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks KnightHawke24 for posting that! I couldn't agree more...

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:19 pm

While "KnightRiderKITT1982" is entitled to his opinion, however wrong he may be, what gets me is how he can bash
the hard work of those making this game for no monetary reward, without attempting to explain his reasoning.

By saying this game ruins the legacy of Knight Rider, without explaining why he thinks that, long before the game
has even been released, simply exposes him as a typical internet troll. Even though all we've seen of this game
publicly so far are screengrabs, artwork, early demo videos, and early character images, everything points in
the direction of this being a potentially fantastic game. It won't be perfect, it won't be as big as GTA or CoD,
but it already looks so much better than those two KR games made by Davilex about ten years ago.

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure this game is going to be awesome. In some ways, it already is!

KnightRiderKITT1982
Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKITT1982 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 pm

DJGM wrote:While "KnightRiderKITT1982" is entitled to his opinion, however wrong he may be, what gets me is how he can bash
the hard work of those making this game for no monetary reward, without attempting to explain his reasoning.

By saying this game ruins the legacy of Knight Rider, without explaining why he thinks that, long before the game
has even been released, simply exposes him as a typical internet troll. Even though all we've seen of this game
publicly so far are screengrabs, artwork, early demo videos, and early character images, everything points in
the direction of this being a potentially fantastic game. It won't be perfect, it won't be as big as GTA or CoD,
but it already looks so much better than those two KR games made by Davilex about ten years ago.

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure this game is going to be awesome. In some ways, it already is!

Alright then answer the following:

Did the classic series have a bar onscreen that showed KITT's MBS meter?

Did a bullet bounce off KITT's shell or not?

Name 3 ways to destroy KITT in the classic TV series.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:12 am

What works in movies/television shows won't work in videogames.You can't have a completely invulnerable player.It doesn't present much of a challenge and that is one of the things that makes a videogame fun.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Swore I was going to ignore you but since you are completely oblivious I figure what the heck...
Who is to say he didn't? KITT had many gauges for many different things that were never explained in the show, would it be so far fetched to believe one of those led meters could have been for the integrity of KITT's MBS shell?
It sure did, but what is your point? They bounce off of KITT's shell in the game until the MBS is down to zero then KITT becomes damageable like a real car. In our game the MBS auto heals on its own as well. It will never fully recharge adding a bit of challenge, but it will always refill to at least 60% when not taking damage.
Toxic Acid Pit - Junkyard Dog
Rocket to the tail pipe - Knight Of the Drones
MBS Neutralizer - Knight of the Juggernaut

Would you like to count KARR as well? Or perhaps Goliath?

What else you got for me? :roll:

Everyone else as always thanks so much for your continued support. I appreciate the posts but the best way to get rid of the troll is to not do exactly what I did above... pay him any attention.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightRiderKITT1982
Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKITT1982 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:05 pm

msKEN wrote:Swore I was going to ignore you but since you are completely oblivious I figure what the heck...
Who is to say he didn't? KITT had many gauges for many different things that were never explained in the show, would it be so far fetched to believe one of those led meters could have been for the integrity of KITT's MBS shell?
It sure did, but what is your point? They bounce off of KITT's shell in the game until the MBS is down to zero then KITT becomes damageable like a real car. In our game the MBS auto heals on its own as well. It will never fully recharge adding a bit of challenge, but it will always refill to at least 60% when not taking damage.

Everyone else as always thanks so much for your continued support. I appreciate the posts but the best way to get rid of the troll is to not do exactly what I did above... pay him any attention.

If I had my way, you would have been banned from making this game until you have done the following:

Go back to the drawing board and think (which you obviously didn't do because let's face it, the only thing that you think about is women and that's it).

Go to a KR website or a convention or a festival and get the opinion of every Knight Rider fan that there is and what it is that they want to see in the game.

Watch every episode of the classic series until you have LEARNED how to make a game.

Conduct a poll on the following:

What the fans want featured in the game.

What stories and missions that fans want.

If the fans like playing the game, do they want another one?

And finally, one very important piece:

Every gaming fan has either an Xbox or a Playstation, think as to how much could you get from releasing the game on the consoles as well as PC and gaming fans want new initiatives for games.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:27 am

Dude,

You're a moron. Get off the board already. :roll:

You are only here to start trouble. I would have hit the ban button
after your first post here.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

KnightHawke24
Volunteer

Post by KnightHawke24 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:29 am

Ken, you are absolutely right; this guy should be ignored, so hopefully he will just go away. However, there are a couple things that need to be addressed about his last post(s).

1. KnightRiderKITT1982 -- unless you turn out to be Glen A. Larson himself, even bringing up the thought of banning anyone from making a game is absolutely absurd.

2. "Did the classic series have a bar onscreen that showed KITT's MBS meter?" -- It may not have been on-screen. However, I can name at LEAST two or three occasions where Michael and KITT have dialogue regarding the strength of the MBS during battle. Two off the top of my head... KITT vs. KARR... Michael -- "You all right"... KITT -- "I can't take another blow like that." Knight of the Juggernaut... KITT - "Michael, we're no longer protected by the molecular bonded shell." The important thing to note in Knight of the Juggernaut is that at about the time KITT is saying that, a diagram of KITT's frame shows up on the dashboard monitor. This image would seem to indicate that KITT had a program, or "bar" as you put it, which told him the strength of his MBS.

3. "Name 3 ways to destroy KITT in the classic TV series." -- If you REALLY want to get picky... and it seems as though you do... KITT was being TOWED at the end of Knight of the Phoenix. Yeah, freakin' TOWED. And that was the result of nothing more than going through a few walls, a trailer, and an airplane wing. Devon -- "Only you could have dented this car." I know you will say something like, "it was the pilot, the entire plot hadn't been developed yet". However, you are the one who brought up the issue of ruining the legacy. Knight of the Phoenix, my friend, is THE beginning of that legacy.

Based on 2. and 3., I think we can get over the whole MBS issue.

4. "the only thing that you think about is women and that's it" -- Not sure where the hell that came from, but seriously... that's your trash talk? Hmmmm... season 1 Bonnie in the jumpsuit with a ponytail bending over KITT... Sorry, where was I?

5. "Go to a KR website or a convention or a festival and get the opinion of every Knight Rider fan that there is and what it is that they want to see in the game." -- Uh, this IS a KR website... and you want the opinion of EVERY fan there is? Should he ask Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too? How unrealistic. I know there have been PAGES and PAGES of discussion between Ken/his crew and fans about what should be in the game. Sorry you are late to the party. I also know there are some unknown twists that will be part of it as well... if there weren't, I think the game would be pretty boring. I think the posts on this site are better than polling fans... we can't even get everyone to vote for president, do you seriously think you will get input from EVERY fan?

6. "Watch every episode of the classic series until you have LEARNED how to make a game." -- I'm going to go on a limb and say that Ken has seen every classic episode multiple times, as well as those series that followed. If you couldn't tell, there are a lot of people on this site that know a hell of a lot about this franchise. If you want to match wits, I guarantee you will lose. There are people on here who point out things that even I didn't see while watching the show multiple times.

I don't know what your problem is with Ken and what I think is shaping up to be a great game, but the anticipation the true Knight Rider fans have for this game with trump one naysayer any day.

Ken, if you need a signature for your posts, I would suggest (from Knight of the Phoenix)...
"It's two out in the bottom of the ninth, KITT, I'LL FINISH THE GAME."

Belated Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Knight.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:48 pm

KnightriderKITT1982, you must be fun at parties!

You absolutely have the right to hate what we do. Everyone's opinion is welcome. But please, save the review for when you've seen or played the final product. We're always open to critics or suggestions, but words like these hardly seem to help us at all:
Go back to the drawing board and think (which you obviously didn't do because let's face it, the only thing that you think about is women and that's it).
So go ahead, be unhappy. Unless you can come up with with a game that meets your standards all by yourself, or you can positively proof there are more people who agree with you on the fan game, please keep your comments a bit moderate.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:32 am

msKEN wrote:
An on-dash MBS level is a very interesting idea. After all, KITT did have a kind of awareness as to the state of the MBS. (As already stated.) So, who is to say that it couldn't come up or be introduced as an upgrade. After all, we all know that KITT had dashboard upgrades...both official and mysterious. (You know. When one scene has one look and the next just changes it. Call it the original nanite deal...or whatever KI3TT was using for shape shifting.) And, as already stated, having a nearly indestructible car ports to a nearly pointless game. (Just drive through every building to make your own shortcut.) Sure. Damage recovery is official in the world of Knight Rider. KARR literally has that happening, on-screen. And, while that never got to 100%, it did...something. Never explained how in the least. Yet, there it was. So, I could see one GTA idea being ported very well into this game, as far as damage recovery is concerned. GTA has the 'Pay 'n' Spray'. Why can't the Foundation have localized 'Repair shops'? After all, if RC III and his street gang could rebuild KITT, who's to say there's not a whole fleet of repair crews on the Foundation's pay roll? Sure, not too many. And, maybe they all could have limited resources to keep KITT from just hovering around one for hours while on a GTA style rampage. You know...parts for one complete repair and just enough to rebuild that broken Alpha Circuit, several times over.

Oh, no. I'm starting to write a whole plot on how KITT becomes partially vulnerable. As in someone who has a grudge against the Foundation manages to score the partial secret to the MBS from someone in the Juggernaut episode. Only, KITT's formula has been modified to be resistant to that. So, after the game starts and KITT fell for the trap to be sprayed down with the old destabilizer solution, the MBS throughout the whole game is partially vulnerable. Which makes apart of the game's ultimate goal a need to re-apply the reformulated MBS...once all the crazy missions that keep that from happening are done. Some kind of urgent, life or death situations and stuff like that.

Hey. I know how to pull it off. KITT has to drive into the city for...anything during a stormy day. The bad guy with the formula seeds the destabilizer into the overhead storm clouds. Because it dilutes over the whole city, it's effectiveness is a fraction of the concentrated version from the street washer from the Juggernaut episode. So, as the rain falls over the city, poor KITT just keeps getting impacted with tainted rain drops on day one. He won't immediately understand why he is detecting the MBS's slow failure rate. Nor, does this guy with a grudge have to immediately be so obvious. And, since it becomes an issue to monitor the state of the MBS, we just get a guage for it. But, whatever his intentions are for attacking KITT and the Foundation are, it can develop as the game's plot goes on. Yea. That one could work out really well.

Let's face it. As long as KITT isn't guzzling fuel at the rate of 5 gallons per mile, firing missiles like an urban tank at any flying aircraft, endangering innocents with his overpowered laser and racing from Las Angeles to New York and back again on some crazy, ultra thin plot idea like the NES was doing, I'll be happy with your game. I've been there since the beginning of the dream. Way back when you searched for that perfect engine and spent years giving up on one after another to find something like this. You are beyond words in dedication and I have no doubt in my mind that when this game is ready, you can and will blow away pretty much any other 'freeware' game that is out there. We're not talking shareware or demo or any other 'to be profit' gaming. Your's is a true labor of love. And, that means nobody has the right to tell you anything. (In my book, that should include Universal. Alas, their property...) I may have surrendered the dream of trying to build a game anywhere near like this when after a whole night's programming session, I tried to stand and nearly cracked my head open on the entertainment center's viewing chair. But, you sir, are worthy of nothing but praise.

Bullets also bounce off of Superman's chest. (In that one movie, the bullet just bounces off his eyeball, for peat's sake.) But, in video games, he has to literally be wearing a cape of Kryptonite for the game to be any fun. And, sadly, Superman games tend to vanish from the light of day or go down on record as the worst games ever made. Simply because the guy's even more indestructible then KITT is. Game creators can't make him as powerful as he is, as they can't figure out how he isn't upon a God. So, they crank down his levels and the game's just ruined. Then, there's the one-on-one fighters. The guy simply doesn't belong there to begin with. With KITT, there are most certainly ways around it.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:09 am

Oh, wait. Did somebody say 'three KR video games'?

Actually, there's been more like five or six of them.

I tend to think that the NES one is the most remembered of the bunch. However, there were the two European ones for PC & PS2. (As mentioned above.) Then, there was one for the TurboGrafx 16. (How many people owned that console? I've seen one for rent, once.) Another European only release for the Amstrad. Yet another version for the Commodore 64. (Was I ever blown away to see that this game has Michael get out and do things. Evidence: http://youtu.be/gwaekAIB9Sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Ugh! But, even this fires a weapon at tons of heli's as you drive cross country. That is so un-KR.) And, I see that GameFAQs has a listing for iPhone/iPad from 2010 and...are they serious...the Atari 2600? (Got to be an unreleased prototype. The 2600 had so many.)

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 pm

That C64 KR game seems hideously dreadful simply by loooking at that video for a few moments.
:shock:

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:12 pm

DJGM wrote:That C64 KR game seems hideously dreadful simply by loooking at that video for a few moments.
:shock:
While I never played it, the bits and pieces that I have seen over the years had always made me wince. After all, KR was almost always about a mostly non-violent approach to solving the situation. Yet, these games are mostly run-and-gun. (Not sure if TG-16 also was.) As if the programmers only got some reference sheets to work with and never saw an episode. After all, most use a 'Tour USA' approach. KR barely ever left California/Nevada.

To me, the only redeeming value to the C-64 game was moving beyond just the driving bit. Because, KR was as much about the mystery clue gathering and subtle moments as it was about action and driving. But, the Commodore could do far better then this. Test Drive II is proof of what I mean. Then again, Ocean made this KR game. The same Ocean that obtained the Top Gun license. ( http://youtu.be/JqMtP05v7Z8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Which was basically two planes flying in 3-D...which was a horizon line, barely a HUD and no concept of physics or altitude. (Still better then C-64's A-Team. That's so bad, it's got to be seen to be believed. ( http://youtu.be/8gqxcq19CVg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ))

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 am

A lot of people forget that Knight Rider had 2 games on the C64. Everyone forgets about the terrible Knight Rider board game port. I'm actually working on a project to add to our site that documents all these little known games for Knight Rider. :) The Atari version you mention though are hacks. There was a game called Night Driver and then Fatal Run and people like to hack those two to look kinda like Knight Rider.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:26 pm

msKEN wrote:Swore I was going to ignore you but since you are completely oblivious I figure what the heck...

If I had my way, you would have been banned from making this game until you have done the following:

Go to a KR website or a convention or a festival and get the opinion of every Knight Rider fan that there is and what it is that they want to see in the game.

Watch every episode of the classic series until you have LEARNED how to make a game.

Conduct a poll on the following:

What the fans want featured in the game.

What stories and missions that fans want.

If the fans like playing the game, do they want another one?

And finally, one very important piece:

Every gaming fan has either an Xbox or a Playstation, think as to how much could you get from releasing the game on the consoles as well as PC and gaming fans want new initiatives for games.
This is turning into a personal attack on Ken. I would think that a ban would be in order. Is it possible this is a previous board member who was banned before coming back in under a different user name?

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:53 pm

knightfever wrote:This is turning into a personal attack on Ken. I would think that a ban would be in order. Is it possible this is a previous board member who was banned before coming back in under a different user name?
Agreed. When I even saw this bit about a troll, I just wanted to boil my blood. Alas, I already had enough anger for that day and just ignored. Because, this game is being done for zero profit and has turned into a lifetime of love and labor. In my book, that removes almost all room for critics, period. Especially ones with zero points to even state why.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:00 pm

msKEN wrote:A lot of people forget that Knight Rider had 2 games on the C64. Everyone forgets about the terrible Knight Rider board game port. I'm actually working on a project to add to our site that documents all these little known games for Knight Rider. :) The Atari version you mention though are hacks. There was a game called Night Driver and then Fatal Run and people like to hack those two to look kinda like Knight Rider.
In the back of my mind, I thought the C-64 had two. Never owned or played either. Alas, didn't note it from the GameFAQs board. So, I didn't mention what I was very uncertain about.

Oh...yes. The board game. If not for some post about it, all so many years ago, I would have never even heard of this thing. I think another post mentioned existance of a slot car toy, as well. And, I also left off the LCD hand held game that was like a low end port of the NES game. And, can't even remember the name of other fan made KR games. (I know there's a few. Something-Ranch. Some flash game.)

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Haha yes I had the Acclaim/tiger toy, what a piece of a junk but I cherished it though wish I still had it for archive reasons!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:00 pm

I think people are giving knightriderkitt1982 far too much attention.

I don't know if Matthew has spoken with him already, but if not he should consider this a warning.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:36 am

msKEN wrote:Haha yes I had the Acclaim/tiger toy, what a piece of a junk but I cherished it though wish I still had it for archive reasons!
In a way, I was trying to model that LCD as an approach for my little M$-Basic game, all so many years ago. And even that was quite the test of my hobby skills.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 am

I was messing around with sprites and created a kr game of my own a decade ago.My friend and I were working with these game kits and made one that was very similar to the spyhunter arcade game of the 80's.Thats become a model for many games today.Even MSken started out about a decade ago with older game engines and kept upgrading the engines he's been using or switching around entirely to make better and better KR game.Its incredible how far we've come from super mario to Batman Arkham City.