Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by msKEN » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

I know a long time with no news from me. A lot of stuff has been going on with the personal life, and I'm no longer able to work, so now I have a lot free time for hobbies and have been really putting some work into my old fan game project. Originally I was aiming for a GTA Clone where you could drive KITT, and also walk around in a free roam environment as Michael Knight. Of course this could lead to you to create your own cool side story and not even worry about playing the missions. Well the trouble was I bit off way more then one guy could ever chew for a fan game. I got pretty far but at the same time looking at everything that would need to be coded and all the NPC's, a believable living game environment, the crowd simulation, AI Behaviors, mission editor, all the while making sure it could run on older software, and also work on pc and mac... so on and so on was just way out of my league by myself. But I'm not giving up.

Originally when I started this project many years ago I originally wanted to do an old school point and click adventure game with some RPG elements. (Think "Day of the Tentacle" or Full Throttle" or even the new "Back to the Future Game" from Telltale") I've gone back to my roots and this is what I have been working on for the past few months.

The game starts out as though you are in a fictional episode from Season 3 of the classic Knight Rider series taking place some months after KITT VS KARR. My game starts with a distress call from Devon alerting to you and KITT that Davey and Sherry Benson with friends were visiting a small town in New Mexico. Davey is kidnapped by the same Bikers you ran into 3 years prior at White Rock. Sherry is frantically awaiting your arrival to New Mexico to lend Kitt and your assistance to local law enforcement. While Michael and KITT work together to gather clues, you will quickly discover this was no coincidence and nothing more than a simple diversion to set another grand plan into full swing...

What you are seeing here is the NPC Conversation system. Michael can run around and interact with other characters and objects. It works just as you would think. The story is told from a 3rd perspective top view. You use your mouse and keyboard, or you can use the mouse only to play the game. The choice is up to you, it will even work with game pads. On mobile you will of course use an on screen gamepad, and you will touch/swipe to interact with characters and objects. Michael I feel is very fluid in movement. Click and hold the left mouse button to make Michael move, and position your cursor to the direction you want to go. Michael stays center of the screen all the time, making the game enjoyable to play the entire Michael Knight experience with the mouse only. Literally anyone can grab the mouse and play. Left click on an object to interact. Right click to use an item or right click to perform an attack. Michael can kick and punch by default, and the game will actually calculate which would be more logical to use in a fighting situation. So if you are too far a way to land a punch, Michael will kick instead.

Second image here shows Michael taking out a Biker using the simple combat system and working to save Davey's presently unnamed friend. If you look below Micheal's health bar you will see a comlink. Collect 3D comlinks threw out the game environment to increase your overall fighting and detective skill accuracy and influence.

Talking to NPC's is important to get to the next key scene. Such as here, Davey's friend mentions seeing the leader going into a bar up ahead. This will trigger the bar scene sequence. This way you may acquire the evidence or item required to pass onto the next section of the level. KITT wont let you leave an area if you don't have what you need to advance on to the rest of the level.

An enemy being knocked out. Enemies will drop health and inventory items at complete random. Some enemies will give you 2 health items, some wont give you anything. Watch your health bar, if KITT has to revive you, you start again at the begging. (You do not loose your items or skill points)

Be smarter then your enemies, some enemies wont bother you unless you get in there way or range of sight. Pick your fights wisely.

I'd love to show you guys more, even a video of everything working, but I'm not comfortable at this present moment as this is all still being prototyped. If you guys have any comments, or want to hate on me for giving up on the GTA idea then go ahead and let me have it below.

For the common questions I feel will be asked...

Yes you will be able to drive KITT. The game will be split up into Michael and KITT missions respectively. Each character will have its own game play style. Michael is obviously a topview 3d Adventure/RPG, while KITT based missions will be more like the Davilex games.

No, I do not know when it will be 100% done. I do plan to have a HUGE portion of it done for the 30th Anniversary of Knight Rider and hope to have it on display all day for people to try at a KR event around the same time. That is if anyone will have me, lol.

The game is a work of fan art and is 100% FREE. I will make it available for PC, MAC, and later for Android. If I make it available for iPhone, I doubt it would pass the Apple TOS. Even though its free its still considered copyright infringement. I may be able to offer a jailbreak version if anyone would be interested. I highly doubt it will ever be on the app store anytime soon lol.

The game will be huge but I'm trying everything to keep it respectable. The first level already is 180mb. For mobile a lot of meshes and such will need to be redone for mobile target but expect mobile to be at least 50% the size of the pc/mac version.

And to the emails and pm's I have not answered regarding my models such as Goliath, Michael, Garthe, the Flag Semi, and etc, I do not wish to share my artwork at the present moment for mods such as GTA or NFS. My models are exclusive to my project, and I wish to keep it that way for now.

Also as far as the art goes, I am only using art I have made or purchased for proto-typing. So unfortunately you guys are stuck with my KITT mesh showing in the photo above. Unless Tobie gives me his blessing to continue using his KITT models from GTA but that is completely up to him.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knightphoenix1
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider RPG - Fan Game

Post by Knightphoenix1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Is there any chance you would make a version for KR 08? I did my best to turn need for speed undercover into a knight rider game but its not the same.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 pm

This is made to be episodic, so the 2008 Series would just be a matter of making the art work and writing out the missions. All my programming would be complete, so it just a matter of building levels sharing with you guys. Unfortunately it wouldn't be anytime soon until after I've finished the first 2 or 3 episodes of the story line I have already started.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

looking awesome man, i like this idea alot, tho a gta version would be cool too, also since the vehicles arent able to be converted yet then perhaps you could atleast show us the finished flag semi or goliath, and about tobie, hes done man, i dont think he will ever mod or make stuff again, he quit years ago, so your on ya own with models man, unless ya can somehow get him to help ya are, or find someone else, idk tho, anyways good luck none the less man, anyways cant wait to see the other vehicles and characters, anyways best of luck, ttyl peace

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 pm

All I can say is keep up the good work :) Not many people would go out of their way to make a project of this magnitude for free.
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Avenger95 wrote:All I can say is keep up the good work :) Not many people would go out of their way to make a project of this magnitude for free.
you got that right man, cant wait till its out, anyways ttyl peace

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:37 am

knightprowl wrote:looking awesome man, i like this idea alot, tho a gta version would be cool too, also since the vehicles arent able to be converted yet then perhaps you could atleast show us the finished flag semi or goliath, and about tobie, hes done man, i dont think he will ever mod or make stuff again, he quit years ago, so your on ya own with models man, unless ya can somehow get him to help ya are, or find someone else, idk tho, anyways good luck none the less man, anyways cant wait to see the other vehicles and characters, anyways best of luck, ttyl peace
I'll give him a shout on facebook, he sent me the models for the GTA style game but I didn't feel right to continue using them since I changed the entire game format. To me it feels like a whole new project so I will make sure to gain his permission first. I'm sure he wont mind, but I've had issues in the past with people letting me use models then change their minds lol. His KITT models are of course way better then anything I could do as you can see lol.

I'm not done with the materials for the flag semi yet but screens coming soon when I get to the level that requires it. :)

I know a lot of disappointment stems from me giving up on the whole GTA style of game play but it would have taken me even longer to finish that. To me the new direction I am going feels more like a Knight Rider game. I don't know, its a fan endeavor, and something I really need to get done!

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

ok sounds cool, and ye tobie would be ya best shot if ya can get em to help again lol, also what season is the flag semi based off? it is off the show right? also goliath, its ok but from the way it looks in the teaser it isnt very accurate to the show, i mean it is but still not accurate enough, if you need any pics i can link ya, i took alotta pics of the flag semi, golaith and all kitt and karr from diffrent seasons, anyways let me know ok? anyways keep us posted, ttyl thanks and peace

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 am

Hello dear followers of the Fan Game's progress,

First of all: this is not ment to be spam or commercial, so don't hate me for doing this. I have made a 3d KITT mesh that I'm willing to give to msKen if he can't get Tobie's permission. It's not as good as Tobie's work, but I hope it's worth looking...

For everyone who can't wait for the fan game's release, you can dust off the -uggh- Davilex game... I managed to get my KITT model (made by myself in Blender 3d) into the game! This makes playing the game somewhat more 'bearable'. I've opended a new discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=1044&t=17369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some screenshots to see what the model looks like:

'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Deveo,

My apologies I did not realize those were your images on my server and I accidentally deleted them. Please check your PM for fixed links. Great work by the way, looks much better then my mesh lol.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:54 pm

well tobies is alot better, he made you vehicles remember ken? kitt and karr, and w/e else, hell man his gta models is more then satisfactory for your fan game, well imo they are, id use his gta models if ya need em, or the ones he made for the fan game itself, idk if ya ever got em from him anyways but its just my suggestion, it seems ya did cause of the latest pics you posted so idk what im talking about rly, anyways none the less your both doing good jobs, anyways ttyl peace

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 am

Tobie's models are the bomb there is no denying that. I have my reasons for not using them which I was trying to avoid commenting on in public. Mainly the fact they were made for GTA and GTA in mind. I had to really go back and work my butt off to make it compatible with my game engine. Also Tobie (while he did an absolute amazing job) used a lot of materials which is a huge no-no when designing game meshes. His car uses roughly 15 textures, (the wheels which I'm not counting use 8 materials) each a single draw call plus the mesh itself is broken down into several parts. Each part is a draw call. Draw calls are the enemy when designing a video game from scratch. I've tried several times to correct these issues but I end up getting frustrated and walking away. So what am I getting at? Let me put it in perspective. My KITT is 9k polygons and is only 4 draw calls. Which in my scene = 120fps and 190 TOTAL draw calls. Tobies Kitt is 21k polygons and 220 draw calls. Which in my scene comes to 30fps. This mesh alone is causing a tremendous drop in performance due mainly to all of the materials this mesh is putting into the video memory.

So now, yes I can fix this problem. I can combine all the objects using the same materials to one object lowering the draw calls on the mesh itself. I can re-uvmap the model and lower the materials. If I am to fix this mesh its going to take me a few days. BUT I do NOT want to commit to something like that if Tobie is NOT cool with it.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:02 pm

well tobie gave deveo permission to use his stuff, you should try asking tobie if he would let ya use his stuff for the game and edit it to needed preferences, he probably would man, just gotta ask, and yes his models are good and yes they use alotta textures, 50 or so total on all his cars for classic knight rider, not including new knight rider, so yes alotta editing to get stuff to work correctly in your game, but hey, if deveo can do it for the almost 10 years old knight rider games then im sure you can with your much more state of the art game engine, hell you can edit the game engine man and have it support what ya need, or im thinking you can, if ya got the sdk which im sure ya do as you cant make a game without it, so yes its possable, so i suggest doing these things, would be alot better, also might i suggest making a 3rd person view camera mode like gta has cause the top down is annoying, i cant stand it, gta camera is best like with the knight rider games themselves, anyways would be nice man, 1st, 3rd, topview and ect so we can choose which we wanna use, seems nice to me, anyways eather way itll be a fun game if and when its done, anyways ttyl peace

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Tobies model as shown in your latest screen looks really good. I like the new specular maps on the ground texture alot, this looks much more realistic. But like Knightprowl i'd love to see a cam view close behind Michael too, it shows the work you've done on the model better! Perhaps two camera viewpoints?

The KITT mesh from Tobie is as you say filled with materials, that will indeed decrease the speed of the game. I'm simplifying the materials for the Davilex games now, it will go back to a max of 5 materials.

But so far it looks great, I'm curious about the storyline!
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is a little driving video, I know its not much right now but you can get an idea for what I have in mind for driving scenes between foot missions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JnvAorbuf4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:35 pm

the video is private, cant watch it, mind fixing that? cant wait to see it, also what about tobie ken? you need to ask him if he would let ya use and edit his stuff, hes letting deveo like i said above, he shouldnt mind you eather, and deveo, i dont think thats tobies kitt on that screen, i think its kens, might be wrong but it does look good, from a top view anyways, cant tell if its kens like he said he made one, or if its tobies, would like to see more pictures of it and vids when ya can, anyways make the vid non private, anyways ttyl peace

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 am

Hey Ken,

That's some damn good work there my friend. I see nothing but the potential for it to be not only a fitting tribute, but a fantastic one as well. You're doing great work, and the music in the preview really helps to set the mood. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:28 am

great video ken, but seriously goliath and its trailer need to be more accurate, i know it says not finished but its still inaccurate to a point, so plz fix this, below is a link to all the pictures you need for all the knight rider vehicles, kitt seasons 1 to 4, karr season 1 and 3, flag semi season 1 and 2 to 4, and goliath from both episodes, and theres alotta pics so they should be useful man, anyways hope they are and you do get them more accurate, also add the reverse lights to kitt and karr, idk why tobie never made them, but he should have, idk if its cause it looked bad but still they need em, not that it rly matters its just more accurate, mine of tobies i converted to gta 4 dont but maybe someday i will, idk, anyways ttyl peace

http://www.mediafire.com/?dbvspiqbfbu8819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Matt, greatly appreciate the comment! I still haven't given up on letting Michael get in and out of KITT at will, but I think I have ruled out an open world sandbox level. Way too much work for one guy to set up all that AI for pedestrians and stuff. Its a lot easier in a smaller scale level and also doesn't kill the frame rate to a crawl.

knightprowl, I'm a fan making a fan game dude, I don't know how else to tell you as politely as I can, I'm not a professional or pretend to be. That's why I keep the words "Fan Game" in the title. You shouldn't be looking to me to make some kind of AAA game. Those are multimillion dollar budgets and a whole team of trained professionals working together to bring out an awesome game (In a timely manner might I add) that in the mean time are making a nice salary. That doesn't mean I wont give it my best effort though. The Goliath cab is done in my eyes with the exception of working gauges, steering wheel, lights and of course working smoke stacks. The trailer is about 1 hour of work and of course will get a lot of attention in the future to be more accurate but its never going to be a 100% dead on replica from me, I'm just not that talented in the ways of the 3D Art. When I release the game you guys can rip my art apart and make it better if you like, wont offend me. With Tobie's new attitude about his models I feel I can be as grown up as him and just let it go. But like I said I just want it exclusive until my game is released in September 2012. You guys can insult me by converting my Goliath to Davilex then hehehe :good:

But with saying that (not meant to anger you or talk down to you at all) thank you for the references. I will check them out and if I find anything glaringly obvious, I will do my best to fix it. Reverse lights would be a simple feature to add. Wouldn't worry about things like reverse lights. I will have all that stuff working soon. When I have turbo boost, ski mode, and a few other features done I will release this Alpha into the wild so you guys can check it out and let me know how it runs on your systems.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:39 am

dude i know its a fan game, and i know your doing your best, and i didnt mean make some 100% dead on models and textures, cause its impossable, all im asking is everything models and textures whise is as accurate to the show as possable, thats it, thats all i ask, cause i will deffintly be converting them to sa and gta 4, well goliath and the flag semi anyways, i think tobies knight rider stuff is good enough for gta as it is, only the flag semi and goliath are my main priorty at this time to get converted, and i know ya dont want ppl using it atm, sry but when goliath and the flag semi are 100% finished and released i am converting them, cause i need them badly, so im hoping they will be done within 6 months or sooner and released by then, cause i dont rly got much time to wait around, ive done to much of it already, anyways eather way when they are done and released i am converting them, and since you dont care if we do i dont see a problem when they are converted after release, but i need them ina seperate format then the game, .3ds files or something thats 3ds max compatable, if you can do that when there done and released id be happy, anyways keep us posted man, and good luck, anyways ttyl peace

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow, the environment, lightning and sounds from the vid are amazing! Keep up the good work! If the final result will look like this, that would be awesome :D

-KITT, Soul Survivor

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 am

hey man, you never get back to me on yahoo which is pissing me off and very rude so ima ask here, how is the friday the 13th game going, you all never post on havocgames.net anymore, all ive seen is new images and yall never released a demo which is a huge letdown to us all, and ive been asking forever when your gonna show pics of the flag semi and ect and you wont ever say, as i said on yahoo if your just gonna ignore your fans which i am one, because there asking to many questions then you dont deserve to make these games, it is very rude and unfair that you dont update us when we ask for it, even saying whats new works but you wont even do that, so im sry but im no longer a fan of you, your rude to me by never replying back and im sick of it, not @&^# cool man, its *?$# and im tired of you ignoring me, so have fun with your games #*@hole, goodbye

and dont ask me to say sorry this time admins im not, what im saying is the truth and he dont have the right to not anwser our questions, its rude and very unfair to us all, if he wont anwser questions when there asked then he dont deserve any fans or to even make these games, so untill your change your attitude and acctually reply ken then your not getting my support, so untill you learn to do as your asked and give us what we ask for, then im not being a fan or supporting? goodbye

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 am

Wow, please don't ever contact me again.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:52 am

well its your fault man, if you was more polite and acctual replyed to me i wouldnt have to be an #*@hole, so try talking to your fans for once and they might not get pissed off, anyways w/e man, have it your way, you brough this on yourself man, you should rly take my advice and not ignore ppl when they ask questions huh? anyways bye

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:09 am

The guy isn’t making a dime off this project.He’s working by himself on a videogame which you probably expect a huge team of programmers are going to make it perfect for you.It takes time to produce a quality game.He doesn’t need a fanbase.If he’s ignoring you its probably because you’re being rude to him demanding things.Does he work for you? No.Do you pay him to meet a deadline?No. So I don’t see how he owes you a damn thing.I hate waiting for things too but I’ve learned to be patient.You should too.
Last edited by Knight Racer on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.