Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Deveo
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by Deveo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30 am

Just got Ken's permission to let the world know:

www.theknightrider.com is now officially open to the public! So if you want to see frequent updates just visit Theknightrider.com, we won't be posting everything up here anymore, just some major details of the development.

Also, no Knight Rider game would be complete without the Mansion!

It's still a work in progress, but it's coming along quite well.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Superman111994
Rookie

Post by Superman111994 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I was looking over the screenshots and I noticed something about KITT/KARR. They look a little... compressed, length-wise. Anyone else notice it, or is it just me?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 am

I was looking over the screenshots and I noticed something about KITT/KARR. They look a little... compressed, length-wise. Anyone else notice it, or is it just me?
You might have been tricked by the camera angles and points of view. Tobie has made completely new models of almost every single KITT and sent some pre-renders, on which the shape was dead-on. These models are going to be exclusive to our game, so no GTA mod clones this time! :good:
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

pOWER
Volunteer

Post by pOWER » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:23 am

hey Ken, I would like to translate the game to Czech language.
As far as I know, there is quite a large fan base in Czech Republic..
Well, just an opportunity :D If you would be interested, Czech language
has those special letters: ě, š, č, ř, ž, ý, á, í, é :D

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Skav » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Eh.....I only found out about this game by 'liking' the fan page on facebook. I don't know how this thread escaped me. Anyway, I look forward to playing this. Good luck.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight2008
Volunteer

Post by Knight2008 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Hey Guys from the Knight Rider Fan Game. I would try to Translate the Game in German. If you say me how I to do this in Skype, PM or so I would try to fix that. Otherwise I have a friend who could made this with scripting and more. If you let try it me send me a E-Mail to: dominik.mack96@googlemail.com

How would you realise this with the languages? How could we choose them? In the Installer or in the Main Menu?
Greetings, Dominik

Lifedream: 2nd Season KITT :) :dash: :kitt:

bbbmarko01
Stranger

Post by bbbmarko01 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am

i can easily translte game to croatian :D if needed

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks for the eventual translations, I'll mention them to Ken. For those who have requested: if you run a Win 98 or something in that area, the game should still be playable on the very lowest quality settings. Note that everything in the environment and on KITT is still conceptual!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theknightr ... 891065974/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-KITT, Soul Survivor

K3T
Stranger

Post by K3T » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Do you have any estimation as to when the game will be completed by?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:22 am

Honestly: No. It won't be this year. After all, Ken reverted to the GTA-style idea only seven months ago. The goal is to have a playable demo somewhere this month. For all of those who can't wait, visit theknighrider.com as Ken posts his updates there more regularly.

We're mostly working on the final version of the script right now. We have a quite fascinating SE5 fan fiction with all major enemies, but it's quite difficult to find a proper ending. Since it is considered an official series ending, Michael will leave FLAG for the reasons as mentioned in KR2000. We can't afford to make a horrible ending on that.

Then there's the matter of splitting the story items into several missions, which will take some time as well. So, no visual progress at the moment, but behind the scenes there's a lot going on. Once that's done we'll continue with visual updates like pedestrian cars (check the site).

Also there's a little teaser vid coming up! So be patient, all good things come to those who wait.

-KITT, Soul Survivor

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

Apologies for my absence, I'm just so very busy at the moment. We've made music deals, brought new people onto the team, its just been crazy how this project has grown, its truly becoming the "Fan Game" I hoped it would be. I want to thank everyone for the offers for translations, you are not being ignored by any means. As soon as we have our final script we will forward out the text document to be translated to your language. As Daan mentions we are putting a lot of care and thought into the story. We're on draft 3 now, and after watching the Dark Knight Rises, I wrote a very depressing and violent story of Garthe's revenge for Draft 2 that was a bit different from our first draft. It was very unlike Knight Rider in every way so we had to do some major rewrites to get the game back to the shows roots. Without the story 100% complete its hard for us to move forward as we can't fully design our levels if we don't know our scenes and what we need. That's not to say we don't have plenty to keep us busy with characters, buildings, cars, locations we know we want, etc but its at the point where this is getting kind of ridiculous that we are not done with the story yet, which I am to blame 100%!

I do want to clarify, (and Daan you did great while I was gone thank you much!) that the lowest operating system we will support is Windows XP, and osX 10.6. The game may or may not run on earlier operating systems but considering the DirectX /openGL requirements I don't think they would be compatible at all.

For the demo we are considering to release a KITT simulator that will allow you to drive KITT around a few tracks with some basic goals. Most likely just a glimpse at level 1 and level 3. It will support force feedback and steering wheels. We do not have an ETA on that but sometime Q4 this year. It's kind of the same story for the games final release as well, it's done when it's done, but our personal target/goal is Q2 of 2013. Keep in mind though, a GTA clone done by 3 people... it's a ton of work. I'm sure more then what people realize. I feel like I'm on a movie production except I'm not getting paid and I don't have an angry boss ready to kill me when I miss deadlines lol!

Again everyone we appreciate your support so much! To my twitter followers I apologize I've left you guys in the dark a bit. I'm not quite adjusted to operating 3 different social networks at once and I've been favoring the facebook lately. I'll have some exclusive stuff for you guys soon I promise!

Want to give a big huge shout out to Sylvain Cloux, Wicker Child, and Daniel Guillen for providing original music/covers for our project, you are guys are the best!
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Deveo wrote:Honestly: No. It won't be this year. After all, Ken reverted to the GTA-style idea only seven months ago. The goal is to have a playable demo somewhere this month. For all of those who can't wait, visit theknighrider.com as Ken posts his updates there more regularly.

We're mostly working on the final version of the script right now. We have a quite fascinating SE5 fan fiction with all major enemies, but it's quite difficult to find a proper ending. Since it is considered an official series ending, Michael will leave FLAG for the reasons as mentioned in KR2000. We can't afford to make a horrible ending on that.

Then there's the matter of splitting the story items into several missions, which will take some time as well. So, no visual progress at the moment, but behind the scenes there's a lot going on. Once that's done we'll continue with visual updates like pedestrian cars (check the site).

Also there's a little teaser vid coming up! So be patient, all good things come to those who wait.
I don't suppose Stevie could still be alive could she, despite being shot? She could be sent back to the witness protection program without Michael knowing and the funeral we saw in SOR could have been a fake. It would be a decent ending to involve her.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themaster
Volunteer

Post by themaster » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Skav wrote: I don't suppose Stevie could still be alive could she, despite being shot? She could be sent back to the witness protection program without Michael knowing and the funeral we saw in SOR could have been a fake. It would be a decent ending to involve her.
Or finish with Bonnie. McPherson likes Bonnie ends with Michael. For a reason, is a Season 5...

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I'll leave you guys to speculate how the story will go :) We can't spoil ALL the surprises! I do want to mention though - for those concerned, we will not put any major focus on non-classic characters. The other characters are there to simply move the story forward and connect the alternate series together in a logical time line, we don't spend any major amount of time focusing on any specific details from KR2K, TKR, or KR2008. Think of it more as cameo's and a good excuse to have more unlockable content in the game. Come on, who doesn't want to drive KRO from TKR?

Richard2000
Volunteer

Post by Richard2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm

What's up with the Knight Rider fan game page?
When i click on it, it fails to access, is it down? Or the server is down?
PS. I'm new here.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 pm

It works for me.

:good:
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Richard2000
Volunteer

Post by Richard2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:38 pm

To me is not working. it still the same think.
I can just access via cache.
ps. i can access it know i just reseted the browser and it went back too normal.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 am

You caught us while we were upgrading our server, sorry for the downtime.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:33 pm

This thread got buried when we merged forums and people were enjoying it. Bump.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:39 am

This thread should become a sticky at the top of the page.

It's the best fan project ever!
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 pm

If Ken's willing, that'd be a great idea, Brian. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 pm

knightdriver wrote:This thread should become a sticky at the top of the page.

It's the best fan project ever!
Here, here!!!

This is looking like the kind of game that I dreampt of, all so many years ago. Many thanks to MSKen and his worthy team for this effort. And, you may be doing it all for free. But, I say that you can push it into the faces of any game development company as an example for why you guys should be hired for future game projects.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I ran across this YouTube video, the other night. And, this guy makes a fantastic argument on how to make a game tutorial. I must admit that it's absolute genius. It comes from a Capcom game called Mega Man X. One that I've played, all so many years ago. And, I'd say it's a perfect example for how to create a lesson on how to play a game.

http://youtu.be/8FpigqfcvlM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (at 6:45, onwards.)

One of today's reoccurring notions is to push pop up windows with tons of words at you. Like others, I find this to be annoying. But, I never realized just how much MMX was teaching in those opening minutes...without making it feel like anything was being taught. And, if I ever get back into the notion of trying for any game design, I shall practice what Capcom utilized as passive teaching.

Just thought I'd share.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the vote to become a sticky but until there is a demo I don't think there is a need. :) Here is a little sneak peek at the first level from Knight Rider The Fan Game. This will be part of a demo we intend to release around December/beginning of the new year. Lets make it a sticky then! :good:

Image Image

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 pm

looking good, nice reflections :D