Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by jup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 pm

And, I just rented this game called Beyond...something for the PS3. It's another one of those games like Heavy Rain where you get to have an interactive play inside a movie, making it kind of like a Choose Your Own Adventure where the movie isn't so static. No way I will complete it on rental time, though. And, it's games like that that push the envelope just a hair further then even Batman does. Where will games go to next? Holodecks?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:12 pm

It's an interesting question and came up under another posting. IF the newest generation of consoles (X-Box 1/PlayStation 4) were to offer freeware games and IF this is totally for non-profit and IF opting to port to either or both were possible, WOULD this conflict with this finite agreement between you guys and Universal about letting the game appear upon either or both of those powerhouses and WOULD you guys do it if everything else ends up being true?

I have no idea of what is involved with this concept. But, I have been seeing a couple titles appear as freeware on the PS3, already. Tekken/Jet-something. There might be a whole slew of legal issues or may be Sony and M$ are generously hosting bandwidth for nothing. Nor, do I know how much altered coding it takes to port to either of those dedicated platforms.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

For console releases we're not really sure but Unity (our game creating software) seems to make more and more deals with official developers. Right now it seems we can even publish the game for xbox one!
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Cam FR
Volunteer

Post by Cam FR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Hey guys, happy new year.

I'm really hoping you'll require some help very soon on the translation , if you see what i mean ... héhé :D

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:36 pm

what is the new Update?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:13 am

Currently we are working on a small project to finance the Fan Game, so we don't have anything major to show to you. I can tell you, however, that we're starting on the ennvironments for KITT to drive around in. Each level has a number of hints or locations from the show. We're researching some of these items right now.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:17 pm

If you were try for every episode's location, that could prove to be a nightmare of an environment. It's massive enough to map out a virtual portion of California AND Nevada. But, think of the road trip to Chicago. There's where porting that virtual tour deal from that one company starts to come in handy. (Well, just having Kitt 'teleport' to the scene via a loading screen is the easy way around that.)

Actually, that makes a very interesting point. In an open environment, how does one stop Michael and Kitt from just trying to drive across the whole country if the player doesn't want to just do missions? One solution is that Kitt brings up the fact that you should stay focused on the mission, once you've wandered too far into the OB zone. Or, you could just set up a very complex algorithm that fills in all the blanks between your major areas to build this massive virtual map. Wonder how many gigabytes that might eat up?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 pm

I think you can map out differen't areas of a city/town in a way that GTA has done in their games.5 citys each with a diverse landscape and different environments.I loved the inbetween city desert road/highway driving scenes.Even David said about the Davilex games he remember a lot of desert scenes but it wasn't as boring as Davilex showed it.I have hours of banter between Michael and Kitt I've recorded for my mp3 player for use in all GTA games since Vice City.I'd be happy to share those with you.

I've gone over every episode and there are a few key locations that would be great to see in the game:

Knight of the Phoenix:The lab area where kitt was created.Yes we should be able to bash through those garage doors.
Deadly Maneuvers:The military test site with a sign that shows "Military testing site,tresspassers will be shot at...repeatedly."
Slamming Sammy Stunt Show Spectacular:This track must have been used in the pilot,slammin sammy stunt show spectacular and possible a few other episodes.
Helicopter battle area for scenes like Just My Bill/Merchants of Death.
Trust Doesn't Rust:Knight Foundation warehouse.Possible location where Goliath steels Karr's CPU remains after Kitt. vs Karr.
Brother's keeper had a parking lot structure that was used in several episodes where you can chase other cars with,or turbo boost from rooftop to rooftop like in kittnap,or even get to the roof level and Michael gets attacked after coming out the elevator calling kitt to come to his rescue.
Blind Spot:Junk yard that includes a compactor where you press the turbo boost button enough times to reach a meter similar to aprils trajectory guide which would be on screen to build up pressure for the jump.Many games use this mechanic.
Return to Cadiz:A scene where kitt has to catch up to villians on sea.Michael climbs out of the t-top and gets a boat level.
Knightmares:The dam appears in both this episode and in Redemption of a Champion.
Good Knight's Work:Tripple M toys-This location can serve as a manufacturing factory and underground the labratory where Bario and David Haulsten create their tech.
Speed Demons:Obstacle Coarse- yeah more desert/forest area.Lets face it KR used a lot of this are in the show more than city/towns.
Big Iron:I’d love a scene where Michael’s buried in kitt and again you use the Trajectory guide to turbo boost from underground by pressing the turbo boost button enough.
The Ice Bandits:Kitt can drive off the slanted walls to chase down bikers down canals paths.
Halloween Knight:Drive by and see Mrs.Bates.I hear she runs a great motel.Others say she has a very cold demeanor.
Kitt vs. Karr:Mr.D’s Marine Parts and Acessories.
Rotten Apples:Shaggy Buffalo Saloon would be a nice addition to the small towns.
Also as a side game maybe play a game called ride the bull where u have to keep the bull with a certain parameters to stay on using your mouse to make quick movements from all 8 directions with your mouse.
Deadly Maneuvers:The cafes and outdoor bistros had some nice dancers.
Junk Yard Dog:You can drive by the acid pit and kitt could say “Not on your life Michael or mine.” Then Auto pilot kicks in and kitt drives away from the pit.
Buy Out:The the microwave cooking car paintjob room may also match the Ring of fire room where April tests kitt's Pyro Plastic Lamination.
Knight and Knerd : Dojo
Kittnap: The container maze where they tried to use a pincer movement to trap kitt and Michael except kitt had put kitt into a decoy mode by tinting and sending him with auto cruise.Also a great way to separate Michael from kitt for the game.
Sky Knight: The compound
Knight Sting: The Embassy with a few extra rooms for guests and the garage with all those nice collector edition card and maybe even the tomatoe-mobile.
The marina area used in Knight Racer and Many Happy Returns.
Redemption of a Champion:The same dam from knightmares but this time theres a different area besides where Spider-Man was killed where you outrun a tall wave of water.This may be accomplished with a timer system if you don’t drive fast enough negative traction and game over.
Knight Flight To Freedom: You drive through Lava with kitts MBS meter depeting as the heat rises.Once kitt gets to 800 MBS is gone and kitt starts taking on serious damage.Maybe a second bar should be added called pyro plastic lamination from april’s ability given to kitt in Ring of Fire.
Fright Knight:You recreate Universal Studios Backlot
Knight of the Rising Sun-I loved the last scene where you see the American Flag draped over the wall.
VooDoo Knight:Just blow up any building like in this episode or Lost Knight.

I had to recreate this long post a second time because the length of time it took me to type this all up had signed me out of the forum once I hit submit.Also this beats my record for the longest post I've ever made in all my 2,634 posts.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 am

Forgot to mention Ring of Fire's blocks full of Callan's stores:pizza delivery,dry cleaners,auto body repair.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:19 am

Knight Racer, I don't know what to thank you more for, the post or the trouble getting it posted! You pointed out some details we missed. We do include some things on your list in a diffirent way, I can't say too much about that right now.

The plan is to have 5 diffirent 'worlds'/environments, each referring to Knight Rider episodes that took place in such environment:
- forest/mountain area with small towns
- Quayton City (named after the KR2K prison sign),
- Beach/shore area
- desert area with small towns
- and as a bonus we're going up high to snowy mountains. After all each season should feature something new :D

For the people who like it, we also put much effort into the characters. Each character other than Michael has one or more specific missions which are based on episodes they starred in. Think of episodes like No Big Thing where Devon busts out of jail. These missions make the characters playable in free roam mode.

There's another part coming up that's pretty big in these games: character customization. For those of you who play(ed) GTAV it will certainly sound familiar. We've made a list of the most noteable costumes that appeared in Knight Rider, and each character will have clothes you either have or unlock doing missions. From Michael's candybar man outfit to Devon's Lois XVI erm, Louis XIV halloween costume.

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 am

You're welcome,glad I could help.Anything I can do to help make this game better or help in anyway,I'm here for.

That sounds terrific! I'm glad you decided to go with the 5 worlds,each with a different look.I'll go over the episodes once more tomorrow to see if I can get all the costumes they ever wore.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 am

Knight Racer, could you pm me with that information? Ken and I mostly make our 3d models together but the characters are completely my part of the game. I could sure use the research on that :-) Especially when it comes to other characters than Michael.

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

I'll try but I'm not sure if all my pms are being received. I sent you one last night. Reply to it so I know you're getting them.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 am

Deveo wrote: There's another part coming up that's pretty big in these games: character customization.
For those of you who play(ed) GTAV it will certainly sound familiar.
True ... but even more familar to those of us who have also played any/all instalments of the Saints Row series.
:wink:

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Regarding how the game should respond if you are heading beyond the normal mission map.... just have KITT warn Michael that they should focus on their mission, and if you keep going then KITT assumes control of the car and turns you around automatically, and follows up with a sarcastic comment ;)
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 am

I even know which clip you should use.Deadly Manuever there's a line where Kitt said,"Michael I hate to bring it up again,but we still have a mission awaiting."

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:33 pm

yeah or you can choose free roam...

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I even know which clip you should use.Deadly Manuever there's a line where Kitt said,"Michael I hate to bring it up again,but we still have a mission awaiting."
But there is a voice actor for kitt already :lol:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Well if the lines were already in the show,why not use those?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 am

The risk of using lines from the show is eventual background noise coming through, like engine and scenery noise. At the moment we think we've found a proper solution for the voices, but I can't tell that yet (don't want to rise any false hopes, too!).

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm

this seems like a really cool project, can't wait to see more. :)

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 am

As I was glancing through the recent posts, I had a horrible, absolutely terrible idea.

Put in an '80s arcade machine. Have it hang out in some shop or store window. And have it be a tribute to the video game that David Hasselhoff so graciously gave permission to be in; Pain. (That PlayStation game where you get to fling The Hoff about in multiple arenas from a giant sling shot to score points.)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:19 pm

That would be cool if they did that just as the movie killing the Hoff comes out. Assuming that too isn't in movie production limbo.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 am

If the movie theaters are going to have 40 years of Star Wars and yearly showings of Spiderman...no movie idea deserves to be in limbo.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 am

Haha love the idea! A 'pain' clone would be pretty easy to pull off with what we have. Actually we have typical 80s arcade halls in mind for the fan game - we have the tools for it :good:

We're currently working on a small 80s fan title besides the Fan Game, and meanwhile saving up for some neccesary tools to make the Knight Rider world come to life: roads, traffic simulators, terrain tools... On the art end we're making huge improvements though.

The mobile title we're working on is going to interest you all as well: it's a comic/8-bit mix car game in which you see countless nods to 70s/80s tv and movie highlights! More info soon :good:

-KITT, Soul Survivor