Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Deveo
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by Deveo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am

For those interested in the character designs; as soon as I've finished a character he or she will join this page:

http://www.theknightrider.com/synopsis/cast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which you can check for updates! The models sometimes look a bit 'strange' due to my rendering software and my so-called experience in character design. After all, this is my first 'real' project as a 3d artist... :oops:
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by msKEN » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am

For "fan" art, I think you are doing an amazing job! Couldn't be happier to have you on the team helping to create this beast of a project, I would still have a long way to go if it wasn't for your help!
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael.Knight1
Operative

Post by Michael.Knight1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey hey hey , stop there deveo hahahah . just i gonna kill my self looool :lol:
that's very very amazing job , wow finally .
i love the interior so much it's the same of the movie100000%
Keep it Up :oops:
Michael Knight, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:39 pm

wow, these pics in the interior gives the real feeling of the show :L
models are awesome
nice work!

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Question...

Will you by chance include a "Practice Mode" to allow new players to become familiar with the controls? Maybe a short free range mode level with no enemies with a help menu or pop-ups as a walkthrough. It might even become useful if there are add-ons for KITT and we need to learn how to use them!
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Will you by chance include a "Practice Mode" to allow new players to become familiar with the controls? Maybe a short free range mode level with no enemies with a help menu or pop-ups as a walkthrough. It might even become useful if there are add-ons for KITT and we need to learn how to use them!
Avenger95, the first complete mission is based on getting to know KITT's main functions and driving. Some functions will be added later in the storyline, but you'll always get the chance to test them! :good:
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Richard2000
Volunteer

Post by Richard2000 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Any possibility the game have an ability to customize Michael Knight, Like purchase in game clothing, shoes, hats and eyewears?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 am

Any possibility the game have an ability to customize Michael Knight, Like purchase in game clothing, shoes, hats and eyewears?
Yes, Michael will be customizable, we'll give him many of the clothes you've seen in the series in-game. We aren't that far yet, it's one of the final adjustments we'll make. Personally I would love to create a Baywatch and Nick Fury outfit as well, but that's up to Ken, I'm only designing :oops:

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Richard2000
Volunteer

Post by Richard2000 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 am

If MsKen would like the idea, the Baywatch and Nick Fury oufits could be 2 bonus costumes to win when is completed a certain or a special missions in the game.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:03 pm

So that's no less than 3 new video games I've got to look forward to coming out in the near future. Along with the much anticipated, long awaited "Grand Theft Auto V" from Rockstar, and Ubisoft's "Watch Dogs", there's this fan
made Knight Rider game too. From what I've seen so far, it already looks to be a lot better than the two rather
lacklustre, mediocre offerings Davilex made about 10 years ago ... and this game isn't even complete yet!

Call Of Duty? Meh ... stuff that!

Richard2000
Volunteer

Post by Richard2000 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am

Hey guys, why the "Knight Rider Fan Game Demo" wasn't released in 30th of September?

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Ken has had his hands full with work for the last months. I believe a major deadline for his projects is over now, he should have more time on his hands. I'll get back to him, let's see if he's got any surprises for us! :mrgreen:

Regarding the demo, it was planned for the 30th of september when the idea was to create a simple mission-based RPG game, see page 1 of this thread. Now that he has reverted to the GTA style game, that just wasn't an option anymore. The goal is to have a demo for you guys as a christmas present!

Ken emailed me earlier that he is working on the AI of the game, so the traffic and pedestrians will be ready to work with soon! :good:

-KITT, Soul Survivor

ACKERLY
Volunteer

Post by ACKERLY » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23 am

After long time i have knight rider thread i was play this game,Knight rider car is marvelous engine wise and road grip is also nice.Knight rider interior is most attractive part of the car.
http://automotivepartswarehouse.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 am

Update! Here is another view on the rigged characters. This is visually almost the same as what you'll see in the game's cutscenes:

Meanwhile, some bad guys are added to the Cast page on theknightrider.com! :good:

-KITT, Soul Survivor

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Looking great!

Love the Foundation building in the background!

This is really coming together nicely.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 am

Will this game be available for ps3 or just PC.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

themaster
Volunteer

Post by themaster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Ken Says the game will be released only in PC, because the expensive cost to expand the game to other plataforms.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:12 pm

james olden wrote: Will this game be available for ps3 or just PC.
According to the official FAQ page on the website . . .
What consoles will this game be avaliable on?

Knight Rider: The Fan Game will not be available on any console systems due to cost of development
kits for each console. Sorry guys we don’t have a budget, so we definitely can’t afford it!
Although standard console control pads will be supported, with the XBox 360 control pad supported from day one.
It'll be available for at least Windows XP and recent Linux distros on PC, and at least OS X 10.7 on Apple Macs.

Maybe the devs could consider setting up a KickStarter project to get some funding for the SDK's, so if there's
enough demand, the game might be available on at least XBox Live Indie Games sometime in the future . . .

As far as I know, it's easier to port a PC game to the XBox 360 than it is to port it to the PS3.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 am

Greatly appreciate the support and enthusiasm over seeing our project ported to other systems but you guys have to bear in mind this is not our intellectual property. The second I start accepting donations or even think of going to kick-starter our project will be shut down. I can't even have ads on my site, everything has to be paid for out of pocket. It creates other problems as well considering how many people have already donated in terms of helping with programming, art, and audio for the project who only agreed to do these things if the project was free for everyone. I also don't really want to take the risk of being sued by NBC-Universal either. So for now it remains a free fan made PC, Linux, and Mac game.

A few have also suggested taking the game to NBC - Universal to see if they have any interest in allowing it to be published in a legal capacity. Which I thought was a great idea too, but the reality is anyone can make a Knight Rider game, they just have to pay the merchandise license (OMG you don't even want to know how much), royalties, and then get threw a vigorous approval process. It's my understanding that you can't make a game that would suggest that its canon. So like the Davilex games I couldn't have a complex and interesting story line where the image or history of the characters are changed like we intend to do. It has to be completely stand alone and throw away. I don't like the idea of giving up my creative freedom and dumbing down our game just to sell out for a profit. Sure it would be nice to make some money, but in this case - I'm just not interested.

I do apologize for lack of updates lately. Unfortunately a real life emergency got in the way but everything is just about back to normal so I am resuming work on the project today. Can't thank you all enough for your support and excitement about the project, it's what keeps us going!
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 am

Glad to hear you on this thread again, Ken! Words from the developer himself are more trustworthy than mine :good:

Here's a final update concerning the cast featured in the Fan Game. There are some characters missing, but adding them would be an enormous spoiler. The evil guys of course didn't make it to this pic.

In case I did my job wrong the characters from left to right are: RC3, April Curtis, Russ Maddock (as vice-president of FLAG), Michael Knight, Devon Miles, Bonnie Barstow.

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 am

wow, simply awesome, the models are pretty 'epic', also liked the scanner's texture, and hmm, new Devon?(clothes and eyes)

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

I have to agree with Han, they look GREAT KITT looks awesome cannot wait to play this game!
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks for the compliments! :D There's still some modeling work to do on other cast members. What you see here are some refined meshes and textures. Devon just looked more like himself in a grey suit, the eyes are just a matter of shading (I think). :roll:
By the way, there's a hi-res version of this picture here:
http://www.theknightrider.com/site/wp-c ... 9/cast.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-KITT, Soul Survivor

knightroto
Volunteer

Post by knightroto » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 am

does anyone know if the characters are voiced? we should have a voice cast so the game if so the game isn't so silent. (i offer)

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:35 am

Knightroto, we will mainly use audio from the series or other films the actors from our game's characters were in. Once the storyline is completed we might still cast for voice actors. Thanks for your offer, I'll mention it to Ken. :good:

Speaking of characters, visit http://www.theknightrider.com/synopsis/cast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for another important addition to the show's cast! I'm working on the characters needed for the link between the original series and KR2008.

Ken is now mostly into programming and has succesfully created a gta mode for the game, meaning that you as Michael Knight can enter any vehicle in your area and drive it. :kittconv:

There's no video yet, but there is some conceptual footage I'd like to share for the curious ones out there :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2WA5LopRM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forgive the crappy animation at the beginning, we were testing the lip sync, not the overall movement lol. :roll:

-KITT, Soul Survivor