Screen Used "Pilot KITT" headed home !!!!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KARRider
Recruit

Screen Used "Pilot KITT" headed home !!!!!

Post by KARRider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Is has been a long time coming. To everyone who chimed in when I asked if it was worth it or not..... THANK YOU!! (even if you said its NOT)
Many of you may know I have been searching for, and working on aquiring this little gem of history since the new KR pilot was in production. I will share the story in more detail, in another thread, which will tell the tale, and follow my restoration efforts as well.

In the meantime, I am here to share my exquisite joy with you all.

One photos tells it all. Here at the Picture Car Company, is my Screen Used KITT form the new KR series pilot hitching a ride on a transport truck. Yes it is a KI2T (or was portrayed as such). As far as I can determine, the LAST Pontiac to portray KITT onscreen in a KR production, with the HOFF. Maybe someday there will be another and KITT & I will have to give up the "Last" title........ but for now...... this is where KI2T's onscreen spirit came to rest. Behind the scenes photos and a thick folder of documentation back it all up, for me, and down the road, generations to come.

Now he is on his way to Mad Max Cars, where their craftsmen have agreed to add KITT to their reume of rescued Screen Used Cars. What better hands to leave him in? I cant wait!

Here is the photo. Ill follow up with the "Arrival" photo when he gets there:

:kitt2:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Screen Used "Pilot KITT" headed home !!!!!

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Looks good.

One of the Trans Ams in Doc Brow...err Charles Graiman's garage I presume? Is it a hard top or t-top?

=VK=
:dash:

KARRider
Recruit

Post by KARRider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Looks good.

One of the Trans Ams in Doc Brow...err Charles Graiman's garage I presume? Is it a hard top or t-top?

=VK=
It is the Hardtop. I am not at all sure about the T-Top. I have seen quite a few "Behind the scenes" photos from the "Grage Scene" shoot, and it appears to be just the one car present in those photos. I have to admit I need to get the DVD now and look at the scene more closely to see what is shown. Someone said something about a Miniture being used, but I guess I will ask the experts.....

What do you say guys?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm

I've heard a lot of different theories about what exactly they used in that garage but I do know from the earliest "spy photos" that were leaked they had a hardtop with the hood off, which is probably the car you have. There was another Trans Am under a tarp, and a pristine looking one in the foreground but the scene is so quick and dark you have to screen capture it to see it. This has already been explained at length in previous threads.

I think this one is good

viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=11016&p=131616&h ... ge#p131616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is the garage set photos

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =333078155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=VK=

KARRider
Recruit

Post by KARRider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 pm

The "Spy Photos" on THE ODI blog was exactly what set me on the search to aquire the car. Thank you very much for pointing me in the direction of that thread. That is exactly what I have been hoping to read. And the refrenced screen capture photo clears up the whole thing for me. My new KITT is the one under the tarp/moving blanket (see spy photo with the folded blanket on the car). It is also the "Dissasembled KITT" (spy photo with fender off). The T-top car looks like it is someones replica. Maybe someone out there knows whos KITT replica became a screen used car?
I still need to pick up the DVD.
I will confirm for certian but I believe the call sheet for my car refrences it as "KITT".

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Glad I could help.

As far as I know but I haven't seen actual proof - people claim the prestine KITT was actually a 1:18 joyride miniature KITT composited into the background and hidden by the darkness - it could be true, however the joyride KITT does not have shiny turbocast rims (they're flat silver-gray plastic) and it looks to me the car in the foreground does have them reflecting off a shinier chrome in the dim-light leading me to suspect it was someone's full sized replica placed in the shot.

=VK=

KARRider
Recruit

Post by KARRider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 pm

That sounds like what I have heard. I have had some in dpeth talks with the folks who provided my KITT to the production (they also built the KI3T), and this is the only 3rd Gen Pontiac they provided, or that was called for in the call sheets for the days of shooting.

What blows my mind is how small the garage is in the spy photos. Looks like a WEARHOUSE in the screen capture!

KARRider
Recruit

Post by KARRider » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 pm

HE ARRIVED!!!!!
KITT has come home. Late last night the transport truck shown above arrived, and offloaded KITT. It was far too dark last night to get any good shots. I barly got shots of the rims on the rig as the black car dissapeared into the night with my weak flash.
Still, he is home. My first impression besides my excitement at having a true piece of Knightrider TV history in my hands.................. "Man these Picture Cars have a hard life". I am sure that KITT played his part well, but the makeup wears a little thin at close inspection. Not for long though. Once I get fiddeling with it a bit, dealing with some of the little mechanical things and makig up a "Shopping List"......the next stop is Mad Max Cars (movie & TV car experts with plenty of experience working on screen used treasures).

Anyway here is the first taste:

jason1973tl
Volunteer

Post by jason1973tl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:54 pm

If I remember correctly the screen used kitt in the pilot had a shorter nose. Some of the scenes where simply modified 82 trans am bumpers. I also just saw some of my bonus dvds and it said Pontiac sent them the first two 82 Trans Ams that came off the line.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm

jason1973tl wrote:If I remember correctly the screen used kitt in the pilot had a shorter nose. Some of the scenes where simply modified 82 trans am bumpers. I also just saw some of my bonus dvds and it said Pontiac sent them the first two 82 Trans Ams that came off the line.
You might be confusing this kitt with the one from the original tv series This kitt is from the new 2008 knight rider series that was in Grahams garage where he built the new ki3t.

jason1973tl
Volunteer

Post by jason1973tl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Interesting. I only had the chance to see the 2008 movie once. Need to buy in on DVD. I like the pictures. It would be interesting to know what direction they where going for when they shot that scene. Is Graiman suppose to be dissmembering the 2000 or working on another one. It would also be interesting to know what Graiman's connection is to Wilton Knight.

At any rate, I like your car. What do you plan to do with it. Make it a 2000 replica, or restore it the way it is and keep it true to the 2008 movie.

JesseHawks
Volunteer

Post by JesseHawks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

What year is that Firebird? It looks like it could be a later-80s model ... maybe a Formula model (with that back end spoiler the way it is). I'm no expert, so I thought I'd ask. :)

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:51 am

Wow KARRider! :shock:
NICE!
Are you going to make it a replica?
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 am

lol! great pic tao! I see you finally took your nickname I gave you, seriously....

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Looks awesome. Nice car! :good:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 am

Awesome car! :mrgreen: :good:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

KARRider
Recruit

Post by KARRider » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 am

Thank everyone! You may have seen some updated info in the knightrider historians post about the "last knight 2000". It's a 1989 formula, hardtop. The plan for it (currently underway) is a museum curatorial style restoration, maintaining all of its accurate screeni used glory, while giving it the hero details correct to its presumed position in the franchise timeline. Many of you have been asking how you can contribute to the project. I will be posting details soon on how anyone can participate. Thank you all for the intere.