Great News for KITT Mustang Replica Builders!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Great New for KITT Mustang Replica Builders!

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 am

iKUJO wrote:Can we just please have some kind of ETA for atleast some of the products. I would really like to do alot of this stuff but I am a soldier and heading to Afghanistan soon I am trying to purchase this before I leave. I want to make sure I get my KI3T.
What kind of ETA are you looking for? According to whom I talked with when I bought my hood, Trufiber will have their new batch of hoods ready Wednesday, which is when I expect mine will ship. It should arrive at my body shop by the beginning of next week, which is when I'll post pics before paint.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Here I was just thinking you could just buy the hood,bumper,grill and youd be set but you have make sure you get the right hood and everything else.Wow :o
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Taoworm, will you be offering a pilot steering wheel already modified? I don't feel comfortable cutting the wheel myself. It's been a while since I did the research, but if I remember right, the pilot wheel is a combination of two wheels. The center cover, horn button area, is the Millenium Evo. But I believe that center cover was added to either the Jet or Jet 2 steering wheel. Look at the areas just below where the wheel has been cut. Only the Jet wheels look like that.If I'm wrong, can you link me to the right product or part number. I might have just over looked it. But i am sure the complete Millenium wheel wasn't used. The ring of the wheel just isn't right.

lphill01
Operative

Post by lphill01 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:20 pm

The original wheel is a Jet with the Millenium Evo horn cover.

Taoworm- did you get my last PM?
ttsracingworld- I tried to view and comment on your cardomain, but I'm having problems with the site at home. I'll keep checking back.

lphill01
Operative

Post by lphill01 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 pm

I looked at the Youtube vid, it is the Venom hood. If you notice toward the end, you can see the gap between the grill and the lip of the hood where it's shaped for the GT-500 nose. I wish I could see a closer picture to see how much of a gap there is, and if there's any problem securing the hood closed with the gap. Maybe I'll get the hood first until I can find a nose... :?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:54 pm

lphill01 wrote:I looked at the Youtube vid, it is the Venom hood. If you notice toward the end, you can see the gap between the grill and the lip of the hood where it's shaped for the GT-500 nose. I wish I could see a closer picture to see how much of a gap there is, and if there's any problem securing the hood closed with the gap. Maybe I'll get the hood first until I can find a nose... :?
You know, I think you may be right. There is a noticeable gap at the front. From all of my research, I've found that a GT500 hood will not fit a stock grill, however a stock hood will fit a GT500 front end.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 am

jeremy223 wrote:Taoworm, will you be offering a pilot steering wheel already modified? I don't feel comfortable cutting the wheel myself. It's been a while since I did the research, but if I remember right, the pilot wheel is a combination of two wheels. The center cover, horn button area, is the Millenium Evo. But I believe that center cover was added to either the Jet or Jet 2 steering wheel. Look at the areas just below where the wheel has been cut. Only the Jet wheels look like that.If I'm wrong, can you link me to the right product or part number. I might have just over looked it. But i am sure the complete Millennium wheel wasn't used. The ring of the wheel just isn't right.
You are %100 correct Jeremy.
iKUJO wrote:Can we just please have some kind of ETA for at least some of the products. I would really like to do alot of this stuff but I am a soldier and heading to Afghanistan soon I am trying to purchase this before I leave. I want to make sure I get my KI3T.
ETA on the Interactive Voice Orb is a couple of weeks away.
The HUD is still in development
The center LCD screen is finished and the bezel is being made. Both will sell within the next 2 or 3 months.
The steering wheel would be cost probative because I would have to buy both then add labor costs as well. I will be making one for myself but I doubt anyone would even want to buy one from me if it would be cheaper to do them selves.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:45 am

I do Tao, but Ineed to write Ford first about my idea, and see if they'd go for it....

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 am

Don't take this the wrong way Stef, but Ford won't care about your idea. The whole concept of a Mustang that has traits of an old Trans Am built into it would write it off before they even got to the end of the first sentence. Add to that the complicated nature of your design, and they just wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot driveshaft I'm afraid.

Now, given that the Mustang has just undergone a major facelift, we would be better served to request a Knight Industries Three Thousand inspired GT500 bodykit package for the Mustang GT. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Already out Matt, the 2010 Super Snake body kit is available at Ford/Shelby.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 pm

My new hood:
Progress pics will follow tomorrow, then paint in about a week and a half! 8)

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 am

Oh wow cant wait too see :D

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Nice KI3T hood :good:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:40 pm

tamatt27, hood looks GREAT! A few questions though because I may bite the bullet and order my own hood. I've looked at the tru fiber site and there are a few hoods that look pretty similar. What is the difference in the Venom and Venom II hoods? Does your hood have the recess for the hood pins?
I guess it all boils down to which hood should I go with if I'm looking for the most accurate Knight 3000 hood?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:53 pm

jeremy223 wrote:tamatt27, hood looks GREAT! A few questions though because I may bite the bullet and order my own hood. I've looked at the tru fiber site and there are a few hoods that look pretty similar. What is the difference in the Venom and Venom II hoods? Does your hood have the recess for the hood pins?
I guess it all boils down to which hood should I go with if I'm looking for the most accurate Knight 3000 hood?
It looks as if the Venom II is the Super Snake replica hood while the Venom is the KR replica hoood. Yes i got the one with the hood pin recesses because KITT has them.
Updated pics:
I got my GT500 rear bumper today too!!

Pct1theory
Rookie

Post by Pct1theory » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:02 pm

so freaking awesome, cannot wait until it gets painted!

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:54 am

Just Epic :good:

Tom
Rookie

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:22 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
jeremy223 wrote:tamatt27, hood looks GREAT! A few questions though because I may bite the bullet and order my own hood. I've looked at the tru fiber site and there are a few hoods that look pretty similar. What is the difference in the Venom and Venom II hoods? Does your hood have the recess for the hood pins?
It looks as if the Venom II is the Super Snake replica hood while the Venom is the KR replica hoood. Yes i got the one with the hood pin recesses because KITT has them.
Updated pics:
I got my GT500 rear bumper today too!!
Saweeeeet :)
"Pain is temporary, but the pride lasts forever"

lphill01
Operative

Post by lphill01 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Tamatt27, that's hot! Still trying to beg the wife to get my parts. So far, she's not nibbling...

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:14 am

That hood looks downright sexy tamatt! :good:
I'll give you a call later today man about the 'other' stuff.
Great news on all fronts! :D
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 am

Great! Looking absolutely great... it is awesome to see the next gen KITT being recreated by the fans of the show!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:01 pm

lphill01 wrote:Tamatt27, that's hot! Still trying to beg the wife to get my parts. So far, she's not nibbling...
Im still trying to get the car,but with the way the economy is,I could lose my job anyday,so its goinga be a while for me :(

hotrodrock
Stranger

Post by hotrodrock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 pm

tamatt27 wrote:My new hood:
Progress pics will follow tomorrow, then paint in about a week and a half! 8)
Sent you a PM but will ask here also for others benefit. How is the finish of the hood as it was delivered? Its the amount of prep time before painting that concerns me. It amazes me how much prep time is required for different companies hood. You can get a Cervinis fiberglass hood (not a Venom unfortunately) already painted for $850. Other companies hood can cost up to a $1000 and then require another 2 to 3 thousand dollars in prep work.

Nearly forgot to ask. What brand of tires are on your car?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

I won't know the amount of prep work needed until after I drop KI3T off at the body shop on Friday. I let it sit in the sun and drove him everyday for a week to get the hood as hot as possible to let all the impurities rise to the surface from the gel-coat. It should be ready late next week, hopefully. I'll post up pics as soon as I get 'em! :twisted:

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 am

here is my ride with me the only thing I aded for now are the KR miror cover , i live in france so the part didn't comme cheap as weel as the car and everything, not the licence plate , you can't have personalized plate here and I was surprised whend I saw the MK letter