SPM In KR Movie ?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Would you like to see a version of SPM on KITT in any KR Movie?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:57 pm

Yes !
28%
No !
22%
Depends on vehicle style
28%
Undecided
6%
As long as the car is black, has a red scanner, and W.D. is the voice, I don't care.
17%

Total votes: 18

Stargazer
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

SPM In KR Movie ?

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:57 pm

If and when KR is made into movie version (and we hope soon!), would you be interested in seeing a version of SPM used on KITT (and we do hope KITT will be in the movie and not another name used!)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:07 pm

I say yes. While the more logical choice would be to say it depends on the car's style, I think SPM would work well in the new movie. Anything to modify the car is good because it will keep it a few steps ahead of reality.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:14 pm

I voted for the fifth option. While giving KITT (in whatever car he is in the movie) SPM would be cool, what's important for me is that it will still be voiced by William Daniels and not some cheap shot voice actor. Oh, and I would also prefer a killer storyline now, complete with the original cast (except Edward Mulhare) and complemented by new and able FLAG members.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:34 am

I vote no. I want to see a new KITT- nothing too fancy on the outside, just a black body with a red scanner up front. (Preferably a recent Trans Am, but I seriously doubt that will happen.) Having a new-style KITT will be enough for me, I'd rather not complicate it by having several configurations.

I think that's my major feeling on the movie: keep it simple, don't throw everything in to it. No SPM, no Goliath and KARR, no KR2000. Back to basics.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:29 am

Who needs SPM when you've got turbo's and NOS! hehe.. only kidding! :P

I voted numero 5.

AP

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 am

Well considering what we've heard from David there will be two cars. The original KITT (with an all new interior) and the new fangled high speed replacement. I know details have probably changed thousands of times recently, but this was the latest I heard.

So I would imagine the old KITT would retain all his old gadgets, but the new one should be simple like Michael stated. Wether or not the old KITT gets to pull out all his bag of tricks I doubt it. However, isn't SPM as much a part of the KR mythos as turbo boost.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:52 am

depends if they go for continuity, right from the original series.

i can't see it still being an addition since i woulda thought it'd be an old feature by now and even in the KR universe, things would have advanced.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:29 am

Army_F_Body wrote:Well considering what we've heard from David there will be two cars. The original KITT (with an all new interior) and the new fangled high speed replacement.
Were you referring to David's comment "a new car and the same car"? I wasn't so sure that necessarily meant two cars, as it sounds a bit ambiguous to me. I was thinking he could have meant one car but with a lot of familiar features from the series, yet being in a new car. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:56 am

Army_F_Body wrote: However, isn't SPM as much a part of the KR mythos as turbo boost.
That's an interesting question... But I have to say "no". If you were to ask the average person on the street, I think most people will know what Knight Rider is: the David Hasselhoff show with the talking car. People who watched the show (but did not continue with the fandom after it was cancelled) will remember the scanner, the turbo boosts, probably the pretty mechanic. But to the new movie-going public, I think SPM is a "detail" that would be lost on most people.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:13 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Army_F_Body wrote: However, isn't SPM as much a part of the KR mythos as turbo boost.
That's an interesting question... But I have to say "no". If you were to ask the average person on the street, I think most people will know what Knight Rider is: the David Hasselhoff show with the talking car. People who watched the show (but did not continue with the fandom after it was cancelled) will remember the scanner, the turbo boosts, probably the pretty mechanic. But to the new movie-going public, I think SPM is a "detail" that would be lost on most people.
Yeah, I get that part alot and when they do remember it, it is usually a comment like "Oh that stupid thing with the wings. Yeah, that was dumb."

If they do come up with a new car and they insist on a new stupid pursuit
mode, I at least hope they do it a bit more realistic. But I am hoping for
a NO on the SPM part.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Army_F_Body wrote:Well considering what we've heard from David there will be two cars. The original KITT (with an all new interior) and the new fangled high speed replacement.
Were you referring to David's comment "a new car and the same car"? I wasn't so sure that necessarily meant two cars, as it sounds a bit ambiguous to me. I was thinking he could have meant one car but with a lot of familiar features from the series, yet being in a new car. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I recall him saying somewhere that the new driver and car would get into some hot water and he and the original KITT would come to the rescue.

Don't rememeber where exactly I read that.

I agree SPM would be impressive if done right, but more than likely would detract from the picture overall.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:42 pm

I'd much, much rather see stunts like turbo boost or ski mode than a configuration change. It would be nice to see turbo boost on a big screen budget (no half-hidden ramps). SPM always seemed like a gimmick to me, that actually detracted from KITT's believability. But I never doubted that he could jump anything in his path. :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:42 pm

My opinion on the whole concept of SPM was no doubt influenced on being a child at the time. At the time I accepted what I saw as reality and thought it was cool watching all those extensions popping out and K.I.T.T. going so fast. If I was a teenager or adult at the time Knight Rider originally aired, I think I would have been more skeptical of the whole thing and have thought it was silly.

As it is, my support of the idea is probably because it might give me the same sense of enjoyment I had watching it when it was introduced. The overall impression I get of the development of the new film is that anything and everything is subject to change, so I don't think anyone should take any news regarding it too seriously just yet, not even what Hasselhoff says. I think they're all still making up their minds.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:48 pm

As I would like to see KITT really be set apart with something "extra". I don't think it would be really needed to have "pop out" parts for a SPM with all the new body styles out there.

Even with things "in the works", I would imagine that things will be kept like the KR2000 movie. Everything up to date with current time. After all, the SPM did make for having extra vehicles in the original series (#4).

BTW, could you imagine KR2000 (KIFT) having SPM with that Dodge Stealth front wheel drive :? ?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am

Stargazer wrote:BTW, could you imagine KR2000 (KIFT) having SPM with that Dodge Stealth front wheel drive :? ?

Good point, but it would depend on what the car(s) looks like whenever the producers choose one. Super Pursuit Mode would have looked terrible on the Knight 4000, as the car already looked awkward at certain angles anyway.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing SPM, I doubt it will be incorporated into the new movie. SPM was only created as a gimmick to keep viewers' attention, and/or possibly even an act of desperation to maintain ratings. If the new movie has a big budget (which it appears that it will), I would imagine they'd make the car able to do enough things where SPM wouldn't be necessary, including already being able to travel up to 300mph without a configuration change.

In "Knight Of the Juggernaut," one of the main reasons SPM was invented was because K.I.T.T. was destroyed and had no Molecular Bonded Shell, so for the time being that was Michael & KITT's only defense. Bonnie took that opportunity to install SPM which she might not have done otherwise.

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:12 pm

I would prefer the movie having the same "old" K.I.T.T. as in the original series. It just wouldn't be the same without that awesome black trans-am. Of course there had to be some improvements on the car but nothing too major. I remember David saying in an interview that he wouldn't be the star (the one making all the crazy stunts) of the film but instead the brains of FLAG and somebody else would be the Michael Knight of the 21st century. So maybe K.I.T.T. would be Michaels car and the new guys would have some new top-of-the-line-kick-ass car.
If they change K.I.T.T. like they did in KR2000 I would be most disappointed, because that movie didn't work at all and most of all the improved K.I.T.T. sucked big time.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:41 pm

I hope he does plan to bring back the old car as well as introduce a new one.

I'm intrigued what he meant when he once said "old car with new interior," or something to that effect.

If he does stick to it, he'll keep the conversion guys busy making new interior stuff :)