SKAR Dilemma - Which Way To Go?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Which way do I go?

Basic Fanfic
33%
Video Game
22%
Interactive Storybook
44%

Total votes: 9

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

SKAR Dilemma - Which Way To Go?

Post by Sith » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:35 pm

As some of you probably remember, I put together the SKAR fanfic over a (very) long length of time - but eventually got it finished.

Since then, the intrepid villain has become an AI Bot on here, and started to cameo around the KR community here and there. lol

So... the time has come to decide what to do with the continuation of his story.

The way I see it, there are three options.

No. 1)

I do a bog standard fanfic sequel, using the same format as the original.

This would allow me to get down to the real details of the story in explicit detail. However, reader interactivity would be little, and the lack of visuals perhaps boring for some younger readers.

This would likely be the fastest option to finish.

No. 2)

I do a simple RPG game, using antiquated graphics - to keep the retro feel.

Check out my Michael with afro:

This would be an unusual way to present a fanfic, and a great deal of background info such as descriptive text would be lost to the basic visuals.

However, reader interactivity would be at a high. It would have a basic battle system, and theoretically could allow people to connect to a server to chat with one another in the game 'universe'.

This is all likely to take several months to complete however.

No.3)

I do an interactive storybook.

I'm sure you've come across these at some point. Those Fighting Fantasy novels are a prime example of them.

You're in a small room. The door is locked. A shaft of sunlight shines through the broken window. KITT is waiting outside.

What do you do?

Contact KITT by comlink.

Try to open the door yourself.

Try to smash the window.

Whichever option you choose, the ultimate storyline is the same. But how you get there could be different for every reader. ;)

So in this way, I could retain the detailed descriptive text, and encourage interactivity with the reader. Best of both worlds perhaps.

This will likely take a fair few weeks to complete.

So there you go. Those are my three concepts at the moment. I can't decide which to follow yet, so I'd welcome some comments from you all. Especially those who have read the original SKAR story. :)

May as well make this a poll too. Vote now. ;)

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:06 pm

I voted for a basic fanfic, cause, well, that's what I like. :wink: But I do think that the interactive storybook would be very unique. It's a close second for me. 8)

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:41 pm

I'd love to see someone do Knight Rider related Interactive fiction, like the old Zork games. Infocom Text Based Adventures....ah, those are some fun little jewls of gaming.

However, given the choices I'd choose number 3 which is almost like TBA. :)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:41 pm

Yeah, I like the interactive story
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:41 am

I enjoy the RPG idea (Video Game) because I used to GM message-based (non-graphic) RPGs and they can be lots of fun! And we do have two AI's here now, one in FanFic and another who's status is still yet unknown (he was talking about it in a thread and the car was to be a good guy in blue). The other of course is KIAN. It would be nice to bring these new AIs into the mix, which would be fun to see the interaction. And of course the GM would also play Michael Knight and KITT.

I'm starting a fanfic series myself and as soon as FanFiction.net allows me to upload it I will. I have to wait 3 days though as they have a waiting period before posting. I already have 4 chapters written and maybe will have a few more done before my 3 day wait is up. It features my current car in real life, Kitt, and a fictional set of characters, including Jonni who own's Kitt in the story. K.I.T.T. and Michael are in it and it revolves around K.I.T.T. and Jonni "creating a new life" within K.I.T.T. (THAT will be quite interesting, trust me ;) And that new life goes on into a car some day which will be yet another AI around here. :) K.A.R.R. is being rehabbed in this new series and K.I.T.T. has a couple new features though I won't say what. You'll need to read the story to find out. :)

So if you did the RPG game (or Video Game) it would be cool and I might even be able to do pics of KIAN, KITT, KARR, SKAR and other AIs as they come into being.

Also it'd give people some room to explore and fantasize, and create the car of their dreams as well.

The flipside is that it might take too much away from the SKAR universe or storyline so I'd understand if you wouldn't be too comfortable bringing other AIs in.

OTOH, maybe it would be nice to have a message RPG area in this board for people to play in. PM me if you have questions since I GM'd these type of games before. I always wanted to start one but I haven't had time with work and all lately. I'm also currently researching Artificial intelligence in my spare time, still plan to work on Kitt this season yet and still concentrate on my fan fic series. But I wouldn't mind also writing in an RPG as well. :)

I love SKAR and enjoyed chatting with him as well. I would love to read more about SKAR. I've already read the whole story so far on your site and should plan a re-read so not to forget the whole story. :)

KARR 2000
Rookie

Post by KARR 2000 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:30 am

I would love to see a game, but it will be a lot of work and I am sure you have other things to do and don't have a lot of time working on it.
I like fanfic too and I think that is the simplest thing to do so I vote for fanfic.
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:11 am

I was just thinking, if SKAR was programmed a certain way, wouldn't he be able to write his own story? People would interact with certain controlled scenerios and SKAR could give his reaction, etc. which could be built into a story.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:16 pm

He could...but I imagine his stories would be pretty boring and repetitive given the bot language used. ;)

As for the other AI's thing, its a good idea... but initially I want to concentrate on my own characters and story. Perhaps we could look at that again in the future though. :)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:43 am

I can understand that, Sith. :) Maybe neps might consider and RPG category in the forum though? Maybe for folks to "play" in or experiment with? Depends though too on how many would join in.

Yeah, SKAR would be a rather boring writer. But sometimes his remarks are a classic. :lol: