KITT Inside A Mazda

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT Inside A Mazda

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:02 am

I almost crashed the car when I saw that famous red flash across the dash...

...I thought I had finally found a talking car, alas the only sounds were Radio 1 or Saga, depending on your age range.

Mazda have not built the fastest, safest most advanced car in the world - but they have had a good go.

KITT (or the flashing neon red light to be more precise), only appears when you turn up the radio or change station, but it turbo boosted me back to the 1980s for at least a minute as I fiddled with the dial.

The KITT flash is not the only selling point because this Mazda is slung low and is sleek and muscular in appearance.

The shark nosed front, with big grille, pronounced chrome badges and raised bonnet mimics the more expensive 6.
Excerpts from and full article at: http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/tm_ob ... _page.html

Im still to see the dash board, but the car itself isnt much to shout about

Nick

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:40 am

Mazda have not built the fastest, safest most advanced car in the world - but they have had a good go.
Nice reference to Devon's little spiel during Michael's first outing in the Knight 2000. :D

That car is UgLy though!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:17 pm

Typical import. :lol: Hope it gets riced. :twisted:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:44 pm

Now now guys, be friendly with the "imported" autos. The Mazda may not look as cool as today's sports cars, but by being Japanese, I can assure you that it is durable and functional. I've been a long time fan of autos that come from Japan (check out my nick), and I can say with authority that they are very durable, fuel efficient and road worthy cars. Check out the Fast & the Furious movies, they really kick some serious butt there (the cars I mean). :wink:

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:38 am

Heh.. there certainly isn't anything wrong with Mazda.. we have 3 at our place of varying age.. My bro has a 92 323 Sedan, i have a 96 Astina and the oldies have an 03 MZ6...

http://www.geocities.com/mrpayner/payner05.html is where you'll see my baby.. ;)

AP

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:07 pm

I like Fast and Furious. :) But the Mazda in the post above reminds me of an SUV or PT-Cruiser (neither of which are my favorites). I have seen some nice looking imports, though. But for some reason this particular one just doesn't impress me.

I guess I shouldn't have generalized imports, though. :oops:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:13 am

Well all I'm going to say is times they are 'a changin. American muscle cars like the Trans Am, Camaro, GTO, Charger, Mustang etc. used to be feared by competing companies elsewhere throughout the world. Nowadays the "rice rockets" are in style, or cars more along the likes of The Fast and the Furious. The safest statement to make would be to say that every country is looking to make their cars more safe, durable, and reliable these days. What used to be a piece of crap from the past, nowadays (if whatever particular model is still continued) would surely be built at least better than its previous generation.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:13 pm

We actually have a few Cameros, 3rd Gen T/As and some other non-rices around. Folks really like my car and it's a Pontiac 6000. I've seen maybe one or two others around as well.

I like the Pontiac Grand Prix, but hate their GTO. :(

I see they brought back the VW Beetle so why can't they do as good and bring back some of the other older body styles? That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Every car looks the same.

Some look good though. But others? Bleah...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:09 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I see they brought back the VW Beetle so why can't they do as good and bring back some of the other older body styles?
Volkswagen bought back the "old" Beetle because there are a lot of people worldwide who have a tremendous liking to the car. A cult-following is a more appropriate phrase really. It has more to do with nostalgia rather than functionality, having played movies roles in the past (like Herbie, the Love Bug) and has become an icon in the 50's, 60's and 70's. It is a very durable vehicle too, capable of running flawlessly after many years on the road (even decades). And the car is very easy to maintain, it needs just the barest of care to keep it running.

Sadly, the same cannot be said about the 3rd generation Trans Am (or any generation of Trans Am). It breaks down often and guzzles lots of gas (unlike the Beetle which is a gas miser). And the 1982-1992 Firebird does not have the cult-status that the Beetle enjoys. Sure there are lots of Knight Rider fans out there worldwide, but they cannot really compare with the Beetle fanatics. It's a no-contest situation.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:35 am

Yea who would have thought the Beetle would have such a gigantic cult following. The car looks like a little bubble to me. As for other retro-styled cars, the 2005 Mustang will be utilizing the 1960s style, and the Thunderbird is also another retro-styled car that I can think of. I've also seen an apparent concept version of the Corvette (1997-2004 model) with a retro styled body made to look like the 1953 Vette.

And I've heard, (this is just a rumor, so I don't know if there's any truth to this) that the Camaros and Firebirds will be brought back in a few years and will both have retro body styles reminsicent of the early 70s-81 body style. It's a possibility, afterall the Monte Carlo was discontinued and brought back after a few years so you never know.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:57 pm

Lost Knight wrote:And I've heard, (this is just a rumor, so I don't know if there's any truth to this) that the Camaros and Firebirds will be brought back in a few years and will both have retro body styles reminsicent of the early 70s-81 body style.
Of all the Firebirds, the 1970's type stands out as the most revered it would seem (Smokey and the Bandit comes to mind). I've seen these cars go for a lot of money in ebay when in pristine condition. I lot of people sure have a lot of fond memories for that body style.