Knight Rider 2000 VS Series

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

oppenca2
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 2000 VS Series

Post by oppenca2 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:08 pm

I just got done watching Knight Rider 2000 on the new DVD set. Wow! Its been a long time. I loved it, except I liked KITT's voice better in the regular series. I like (in the movie) the way KITT shows so much personality, but its almost too much. He seems like a human instead of KITT in a way. I wish they could've added some computer sound like they did in the series, especially in the very first epidsodes. Do you know what I mean?
How does everyone else feel? -Carmen

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:51 pm

After having never seen Knight Rider 2000, a few things came to mind watching it for the first time last night.

One, yes, KITT needed to sound more tinny, and computer-voiced.
Two, the car didn't do much of anything we recognized, and the hydroplaining thing was too little, too late.
Three, from an objective point of view, I can see how it was designed to start a new series starring Shawn and Maddock, but it didn't focus on Michael nearly enough.
Four, I don't remember anything being said about Devon being murdered. I remembered talk of his death. I can't believe I missed that discussion.
Five, where did Michael get his Comlink all of a sudden in the mall scene???

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:43 pm

I think KITT's personality would have been ok if he was still in the black T/A and not so upset a lot. But I HATED the red car. I think that's the main reason I didn't like the movie. That ugly red car. And the whole plot/storyline. I think if KITT was more positive in character, maybe same as in the series but with a LITTLE more personality (even laugh a little) and in a 3rd Gen BLACK T/A or at least a black Grand Am, Grand Prix or GTA, it would have been much better.

KITT's color is black, not red. And KITT is KITT. :) The movie just didn't "fit" somehow. :?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:39 am

In my opinion, the movie Knight Rider 2000 is pretty lame... They should not have made the movie.. It somehow spoiled the image of the series... Don't get me wrong y'all, I am a Knight Rider fanatic, but sad to say, the movie was just bad...

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:52 am

It ruined Devon's and Michael's characters. Not to mention KITT was different. I don't know how they thought to make a new successful series without DEVON OR MICHAEL.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:12 am

Knight Rider 2000 was simply to usher in a new era of Knight Rider for a new generation of fans.

I don't understand how people can say the entire movie was crap based upon the kind of car that KITT was in. There's more to a movie than just aesthetics, there are plot lines, characters and etc.

I personally believe that not many people were equipped enough to handle Knight Rider 2000.

Here's why:

The original Knight Rider was the man, the car, the case they went on.

Knight Rider 2000 had much much more than that... they had the main plot: cops being killed with banned handguns- who is behind it all? Then they had subplots: Shawn McCormick, Michael returning to FLAG and facing his past, the new Knight Foundation and their trouble with the bid to defend the city. All these subplots were somehow interlaced with the main plot.

And then there were plot twists... Maddock dismantled the Knight 2000, Kurt was in with the bad cops, Watts was a former cop, and finally, the vice mayor arranged for the mayor to be killed so he could rise to power and control the guns of the city.

With Knight Rider being so little, and Knight Rider 2000 being so much, and so many long time fans remembering the original series in all its glory, they might not be able to appreciate KR2K as much as I do.

I was born a year after Knight Rider first aired, I remember watching some episodes here or there on syndication, but KR2K was my first feature experience, and as I got older, I embraced it more and more.

There was just so much there beyond the flashy car, that's why I love it so much. Some of the writing was eh... but the way the plot and subplots tied together, and a lot of the twists that we weren't expecting, and events that we weren't expecting too such as Devon's murder, it was wayyyyyy more than your typical Knight Rider. It honestly was Knight Rider for the 90's.

We began entering a world of drama where the action didn't lie with single characters, there were other people and other events to focus on as well. I have no idea what kind of a series that KR2K would have made, considering Michael and Devon were no longer there, and we were back with the car, the driver, and the boss. While we were back with the original feel of KR (minus 2/3 of the original characters), I bet we could have seen more extensive plots like the movie presented.

The movie was designed to set us up for a new Knight Rider, there had to be the passing of the baton.

So let's think for a little bit... the new Knight Rider movie is designed for the passing of the baton as well. Hasselhoff is bent on the concept of him stepping up and his son taking the original role he started 22 years ago. It will again be another passing of the baton, KITT will be in a new car (and come on guys, we can't keep wishing he would forever be in a 3rd Gen Trans-Am, for the car style is over a decade old).

Too many people, in my opinion, are unable to let go of the original KR to accept new approaches to the franchise. We had 3 failed revivals so far... some did good, and some did wrong, but with an open mind we can recognize that Knight Rider is still around us, and I think that we all should be happy that a big screen revival is in the works... but we can't go in guns blazing and demand that it's Michael and KITT back to making a difference, and KITT can only be in the black Trans Am and etc etc etc.... or people will look and say that we are living forever in the 80's and can't go with change...

Just my two cents, no offense intended towards anyone.

-scott

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:25 am

The movie just ruined the basic formula of the Knight Rider series...

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:35 am

Well said Scott. I only hated KR2000 for Devon's murder and Kitt's dismantling. After I excepted those things the movie was quite AWESOME.

I believe had KR2000 became a series David would have made an occasional guest appearance as Michael.

Hence the line "You know where to find me if you need Me"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:38 am

Putting KITT in a red car with a way-overboard personality was like having someone else play a well-known role that had the same voice but different personality and way different looks. It just didn't "fit". If it were more consistant, it'd been better.

I think that there were huge holes between the end of the series and the movie that weren't filled, and the plot threw too much at the audience in too short of time to "catch up". So it kinda threw some people off I think.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:19 pm

IceKnight wrote:One, yes, KITT needed to sound more tinny, and computer-voiced.
Two, the car didn't do much of anything we recognized, and the hydroplaining thing was too little, too late.
Three, from an objective point of view, I can see how it was designed to start a new series starring Shawn and Maddock, but it didn't focus on Michael nearly enough.
Four, I don't remember anything being said about Devon being murdered. I remembered talk of his death. I can't believe I missed that discussion.
Five, where did Michael get his Comlink all of a sudden in the mall scene???
COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!
We needed a turbo boost. That was funny with the comlink in the mall out of no where.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:26 pm

Scott- you did make some good points. Overall I did like the movie. I guess I was just crazy about the series, because I was probably about 10-14 when I watched the series and it stuck with me. (Also I love Black trans ams) You were probably around that age when you saw KR 2000, so that made more sense to you. Anyway, well written, some good points, thanks for commenting.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:49 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote:(and come on guys, we can't keep wishing he would forever be in a 3rd Gen Trans-Am, for the car style is over a decade old)
Why not? People are restoring Black 3rd Gen T/As into KITT and KARR a lot more now days. And look what VW did when they re-released the Volkswagon Beetle. Pretty much the same car, just minor tweaks. The 3rd Gen T/As were fantastic (even though I always LOVED the Bandit T/As. :) ) There's nothing wrong with sticking to the old. Sometimes car makers bring back older styles with only slight changes.
Scott Kirkessner wrote:Too many people, in my opinion, are unable to let go of the original KR to accept new approaches to the franchise.
Well, I think some also don't want KR to turn into another Dukes of Hazzard movie/remake. Usually remakes never have turned out quite as good as the original "real thing" though. At least, that's what I've seen... Once something is recognized as having a following, it's kinda hard to change it. Sometimes it's successful (Star Trek incarnations, KISS removing their make-up, etc.) and other times it's not (The new series that started as a spinoff from "M*A*S*H*", The Dukes of Hazzard Movie, etc.

I probably am running into that myself though, creating a "Knighted Ride" out of a Pontiac 6000, which I've even named "Kitt". I know one other that is making a KARR out of a 6000 as well. I've been kinda either laughed at or scoffed at by some replica builders. "That's not a firebird!" type responses... So, Scott, I can see where you're coming from and can agree in one frame of mind. But in another I can agree with those who will always know and love KITT as a black 3rd Gen T/A and the "old crew" that he worked with in the series. Unfortunately, Edward Mulhare isn't with us any longer. However, I'm hoping the new movie will give us a little of what we remember of KITT, just to see him again once more as he was. I hear that'll happen and give folks such as yourself a "new car" to enjoy as well.

Hard to please everyone but I'm pretty sure David Hasselhoff will surely delight us all if/when the new KR movie does come out. I'm certainly looking forward to it. :)

SPMknight
Volunteer

Post by SPMknight » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:05 pm

imranbecks wrote:The movie just ruined the basic formula of the Knight Rider series...
My thoughts exactly, KR-2000 is a joke. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about change but you still have to incorperate the things that made Knight rider the series what it was.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:51 pm

But it did... we had David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight and we had KITT (in a new car, but we still had KITT) They were back in action on a case, but there was other stuff mixed in too.

What more could you ask for?

-scott

SPMknight wrote:
My thoughts exactly, KR-2000 is a joke. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about change but you still have to incorperate the things that made Knight rider the series what it was.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:10 am

There was no turbo boost in the movie... That was basically the main factor in almost every episode in the series.. And K.I.T.T. just wasn't the K.I.T.T we all knew throughout the series..

I really hope that whatever that had happened in the movie will not be included as a timeline of Knight Rider... This movie supposedly took place in the year 2000... Imagine what year would take place for the new movie, if David Hasselhoff can find a proper studio to produce the movie.. Year 2030??? Man, its all screwed up...

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:07 am

Team Knight Rider ignored the KR2K line so anything is possible with the new movie. I look forward to seeing what they do.

-scott

imranbecks wrote:There was no turbo boost in the movie... That was basically the main factor in almost every episode in the series.. And K.I.T.T. just wasn't the K.I.T.T we all knew throughout the series..

I really hope that whatever that had happened in the movie will not be included as a timeline of Knight Rider... This movie supposedly took place in the year 2000... Imagine what year would take place for the new movie, if David Hasselhoff can find a proper studio to produce the movie.. Year 2030??? Man, its all screwed up...

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:56 am

someone needs to kill the person who made the story line for KR2000. I will never forgive them for making KR2000. just thinking about what they did p*** me off. what ever were they thinking.
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:49 am

Let's not get violent guys, let's face it. Knight Rider 2000 didn't quite agree with the majority of older fans although it did entertain the younger generation. It's just a matter of preference and taste. I personally didn't like the part where Devon was killed, him having been a permanent part of the series storyline (and our hearts). And Bonnie was also not present. This movie was clearly aimed at the newer and younger viewer who most probably wasn't even born when the original series aired. The producers of KR2000 clearly made a gamble to both entertain the "old" and the "new" fans. Their gamble failed miserably. But this is no reason to dislike them, after all, they still tried right?

This is probably the main reason why a follow-up movie is still in the works for a very long time. Scripts are always being written and re-written. And David is taking part in it now with his heart, declining a script if he thinks it will fail to win the fans both old and new. This balancing act is the greatest challenge indeed.

When this new movie comes out, it will definitely introduce a new vehicle. That is for the new and young fans. But the 1982 Trans Am will still be there for the older fans who grew fond of it all through the past four seasons of the 80's. How will they integrate the two vehicles in one movie? No one knows how but I am hopeful that they will find a way...they have the experience already and know now how the fans reacted in the past.

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:17 pm

I totally agree with imranbecks and K.I.A.N. They should have never made KR 2000. And it should have never been released along with Season 1 box set. It's an insult to the original series!

SPMknight
Volunteer

Post by SPMknight » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:56 pm

I still think KR2000 would have been a lot better if they would have stuck to the basics. Who cares about some woman with a chip in her head, even if it was KITTS. There were no turboboosts, no running through walls, no fancy computer tricks KITT can do with locks/brakes/dice; nothing. Even the music was a complete joke. I really enjoyed the synthesized type music from the original series, it really complimented the show and got you pumped up for the next scene. The music in KR2000 was very mellow, it almost put me to sleep.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:14 pm

heh, actually, i enjoyed the music from KR2000. it was about the only good thing going for it...that, and the too short, decent fight scene between michael and Watts at the end.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:20 pm

KITT had new features, such as a telephone designed where you speak into it and someone else's voice comes out. Virtual Reality allowing you to see things you can't see with the naked eye. The ability to blow a cars tires from behind without shooting any projectiles, etc.

And what about plots, story, characters, or are people so low brow that if they don't get their stunts they get pissy and just turn off the movie.

There's more to movies than fancy stunts and tricks.

-scott
SPMknight wrote:I still think KR2000 would have been a lot better if they would have stuck to the basics. Who cares about some woman with a chip in her head, even if it was KITTS. There were no turboboosts, no running through walls, no fancy computer tricks KITT can do with locks/brakes/dice; nothing. Even the music was a complete joke. I really enjoyed the synthesized type music from the original series, it really complimented the show and got you pumped up for the next scene. The music in KR2000 was very mellow, it almost put me to sleep.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:00 pm

I have to say that overall, the movie was pretty good. Not fantastic, mind you, but pretty good. Devon's murder was handled very well. I think that's the most original death scene I've ever seen. I was shocked and sad when they did it, but I think it was handled very well. I also love the relationship between Devon and Michael -- it was cool to see that they cared so much for each other after all those years. Maddock grew on me as a man you love to hate. I'm not sure that would have worked well in a two person and a car series, but it made for some nice interchanges between him and Devon.

What I didn't like was the relationship between Michael and Kitt. I didn't care for the car. I wouldn't have minded if it had been black. ::shrugs:: And I wasn't a fan of Shawn. I pretty much thought she was annoying. Who knows, maybe she would have been better in a series, had her rough edges smoothed, but maybe not.

All in all, I have to say that I'm glad they made it. It wasn't a masterpiece, but better than nothing. ::shrugs::

I assume they are going to ignore it for the new movie -- a lot more people have seen KR than have seen the KR2K movie.

SPMknight
Volunteer

Post by SPMknight » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote: And what about plots, story, characters, or are people so low brow that if they don't get their stunts they get pissy and just turn off the movie.

There's more to movies than fancy stunts and tricks.
Of course plots and characters are important in movies; however, keep in mind this wasn't a regular movie, it was a movie about "Knight Rider." Along with plots, stunts and tricks played a major part in the original series. KR2000's bare-minimum action scenes and weak plot just didn't cut it for me. Hopefully the new movie will be better.
:)

Jayn
Volunteer

KR 2000

Post by Jayn » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:02 am

Well I'm not sure, I mean I see KR 2000 as a reunion movie, I never really got the pliot besides that a cop had KITT's chip. I loved the red car and I did like having Kitt as a '50's chevy. I do have to agree though that I didn't like KIFT's attitude..